igills new iphone case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about appointment reminders? What about reboots, lockups, and other annoyances? What about the fixed Nitrox settings tempting Johnny to dive a 32% setting when he is actually diving a 28 or 34 percent mix and gets bent or dies from oxtox?? Now what? Seriously if you REALLY think that by placing an iPhone in a waterproof case that it becomes a dive computer well I guess I cant convince you otherwise, and you are probably the target demographic for this device. My only hope is that nobody gets hurt in the process of discovering what a bad idea this is. I have posted my thoughts on this before so I wont rehash, but this thing keeps coming back up and at least for those that cannot see beyond their nose I feel compelled to point these issues out. Besides have you taken a look at any of the sample pictures/video? Pretty much anything taken below 20 feet or so is unusable and looks like garbage, so whats the point again? In my opinion you would be better off buying a 250 dollar puck computer, and a GoPro. THEN you would have a REAL dive computer, and a toy camera that is actually sometimes capable of taking some impressive shots. And I stand behind my statement - I almost never tell people how/what to dive, but if you showed up to dive on my boat, with this device as your only computer, you had better either have some manual tables going on, or be prepared to sit out the dives, and deal with being the butt of an awful lot of "joke" comments..

Good grief. The igills is not just a case, it's a dive computer which uses the iphone as a display. I've had an iphone for three years and I've seen it lock up once. When in the case all other functionality is turned off. I have no idea what you're talking about with the nitrox settings. How are they any different than any other dive computer?

And if some bozo boat captain tried to tell me which computer I could or couldn't use I'd tell him to go f himself.

Apart from how good the housing is in protecting the iPhone, the major issue I see in taking the iPhone along for a dive, is how long the battery will last since the App can not "dim" the screen (Apple will NOT approve such Apps).

Based on our tests, the autonomy for one "typical" dive should be good enough, but for a dive trip of 3 boat dives ... it will be a major challange and user might need to recharge the iPhone between dives.

Maybe this is even good for divers as their SI could get longer because of their extra "battery recharge time" :eyebrow:

The dive boat of the future: Internet access, extra recharging stations, virtual dive sites :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Point is... you put it in the case and it's no longer a phone; it's a dive computer. I wouldnt expect to get any calls in airplane mode 60 feet under.

---------- Post Merged at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:57 PM ----------

I cant believe all the negativity on this; particularly the comments about it possibly leaking. Gosh... point and shoot cameras in protective cases have been taken under for years. I have a GoPro in it's case that I've taken under 20 times down to 130 with no problems. Why would I think that this case is different.

Why I will be getting one:
1) It would be great to have photos and video integrated with the dive log automatically so I dont have to spend time afterward trying to remember what goes with what.
2) It's great that I wont have to look up GPS coordinates for the dive in Google to find out exactly where I dove
3) It's nice that the photos are geotagged with the GPS coordinates of point of entry.
4) It's great that I dont have to use some external device to extract and upload photos/video and dive log.
5) It's great that I dont have to worry about my phone being lifted from my car in Bonaire.

I will still use my dive computer as my primary source of real time data.

I like all of the points you mention, my only negativity is due to the cost *if* it floods. I've only had 2 strobes flood on me in my years of diving, but I also calculate my risks. If my current camera housing floods, I'm out a now $300 camera. If my GoPro floods, I'm out at most $300. Since I buy max storage unlocked iPhones, if it floods, I'm out $850. I'm also out one of my most important work devices. I fully understand it's unlikely, but it's not a risk I personally am willing to take.

What about appointment reminders? What about reboots, lockups, and other annoyances? What about the fixed Nitrox settings tempting Johnny to dive a 32% setting when he is actually diving a 28 or 34 percent mix and gets bent or dies from oxtox?? Now what? Seriously if you REALLY think that by placing an iPhone in a waterproof case that it becomes a dive computer well I guess I cant convince you otherwise, and you are probably the target demographic for this device. My only hope is that nobody gets hurt in the process of discovering what a bad idea this is. I have posted my thoughts on this before so I wont rehash, but this thing keeps coming back up and at least for those that cannot see beyond their nose I feel compelled to point these issues out. Besides have you taken a look at any of the sample pictures/video? Pretty much anything taken below 20 feet or so is unusable and looks like garbage, so whats the point again? In my opinion you would be better off buying a 250 dollar puck computer, and a GoPro. THEN you would have a REAL dive computer, and a toy camera that is actually sometimes capable of taking some impressive shots. And I stand behind my statement - I almost never tell people how/what to dive, but if you showed up to dive on my boat, with this device as your only computer, you had better either have some manual tables going on, or be prepared to sit out the dives, and deal with being the butt of an awful lot of "joke" comments..

Based on the reboots and lockups, you either don't have an iPhone or have something wrong with yours that should be looked at. I would wager an iPhone has more processing power than any dive computer on the market, so at this point it comes down to sensors and software, which are both theoretically taken care of in this setup. Software updates should be even faster/easier than most standalone dive computers out there. I agree though that the video isn't that impressive, but some record is better than nothing for a lot of people.

I hear you!
I personally think the negativity is coming from the iPhone HATERS.
And to them I say "Tough Ship, you should have bought an iPhone instead of that Droid".

I love my iPhones, my "negativity" is just that I love it so much I can't risk drowning it :)

Good grief. The igills is not just a case, it's a dive computer which uses the iphone as a display. I've had an iphone for three years and I've seen it lock up once. When in the case all other functionality is turned off. I have no idea what you're talking about with the nitrox settings. How are they any different than any other dive computer?

And if some bozo boat captain tried to tell me which computer I could or couldn't use I'd tell him to go f himself.

I'm with you, I've had one lockup on three phones over 4 years, that shouldn't be a concern for people.

Apart from how good the housing is in protecting the iPhone, the major issue I see in taking the iPhone along for a dive, is how long the battery will last since the App can not "dim" the screen (Apple will NOT approve such Apps).

Based on our tests, the autonomy for one "typical" dive should be good enough, but for a dive trip of 3 boat dives ... it will be a major challange and user might need to recharge the iPhone between dives.

Maybe this is even good for divers as their SI could get longer because of their extra "battery recharge time" :eyebrow:

The dive boat of the future: Internet access, extra recharging stations, virtual dive sites :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Your iPhone in airplane mode with screen brightness at 80-100% can't last 3-5 hours? Mine can :wink:

...Your iPhone in airplane mode with screen brightness at 80-100% can't last 3-5 hours? Mine can :wink:
Mine too .... but try it with the camera active; the GPU could consume quote a bit.

Also, a 3 tanks dive is more than 3-5 hours - from the time you gear-up to the time when you put back your gear in the gear bag. That is why I wrote "user might need to recharge the iPhone between dives"

Don't get me wrong, I believe that smartphones have a place in the diver's gear bag and we are collaborating with various manufacturers to make this happen (example: we just released the FIRST EVER App that download logs from a dive computer DIRECTLY into a smartphone), but users need to be aware of their limitations and plan for them.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Point is... you put it in the case and it's no longer a phone; it's a dive computer. I wouldnt expect to get any calls in airplane mode 60 feet under.

---------- Post Merged at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:57 PM ----------

I cant believe all the negativity on this; particularly the comments about it possibly leaking. Gosh... point and shoot cameras in protective cases have been taken under for years. I have a GoPro in it's case that I've taken under 20 times down to 130 with no problems. Why would I think that this case is different.

Why I will be getting one:
1) It would be great to have photos and video integrated with the dive log automatically so I dont have to spend time afterward trying to remember what goes with what.
2) It's great that I wont have to look up GPS coordinates for the dive in Google to find out exactly where I dove
3) It's nice that the photos are geotagged with the GPS coordinates of point of entry.
4) It's great that I dont have to use some external device to extract and upload photos/video and dive log.
5) It's great that I dont have to worry about my phone being lifted from my car in Bonaire.

I will still use my dive computer as my primary source of real time data.

Rubbish, pure rubbish. Negativity? Have you seen the marketing?

Your pretence is that the device is (once inside a case) a dive computer - A primary Dive Computer as per the marketing hype. You then proceed to discuss nothing more than photography and associated technical photographic issues.

You finish by saying that you will continue to rely on your 'dive computer' for real time data.

Your (unintended?) insinuation is that the device in question is a photo conveniece and your 'conventional' dive computer is the only computer that matters and all that any reasonable person like yourself, should rely on.

Rubbish, pure rubbish. Negativity? Have you seen the marketing?

Your pretence is that the device is (once inside a case) a dive computer - A primary Dive Computer as per the marketing hype. You then proceed to discuss nothing more than photography and associated technical photographic issues.

You finish by saying that you will continue to rely on your 'dive computer' for real time data.

Your (unintended?) insinuation is that the device in question is a photo conveniece and your 'conventional' dive computer is the only computer that matters and all that any reasonable person like yourself, should rely on.

People here just can't seem to understand that it's not just a case. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but ranting about how bad it is while being completely ignorant of what it comprises is pathetic.

People here just can't seem to understand that it's not just a case. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but ranting about how bad it is while being completely ignorant of what it comprises is pathetic.

What it comprises? What do you mean? "ignorant of what it comprises" - Hardly; have you read this thread through? Have you seen my other posts - both pro and con?

And in fact anyone reading the post you quoted should understand that I am not ranting but asking for consistancy of argument. Defending an item as a dive computer, not as a secondary device, and then proceeding to 'prove' your position by listing that devices prowess as a camera, geo-tagger, and dive log uploader, seems (to this writer) to miss the primary purpose of a dive computer.

It smacks of trivialization. Should I be concerned for your safety? Isn't that one of the reasons we are on this site?

Oh yes, and DMDavid, I do and always have used iphones. never Andriod or Berrys - I have used macs at home and at the office since 1990 - so I am no 'hater'.

What it comprises? What do you mean? "ignorant of what it comprises" - Hardly; have you read this thread through? Have you seen my other posts - both pro and con?

And in fact anyone reading the post you quoted should understand that I am not ranting but asking for consistancy of argument. Defending an item as a dive computer, not as a secondary device, and then proceeding to 'prove' your position by listing that devices prowess as a camera, geo-tagger, and dive log uploader, seems (to this writer) to miss the primary purpose of a dive computer.

It smacks of trivialization. Should I be concerned for your safety? Isn't that one of the reasons we are on this site?

Oh yes, and DMDavid, I do and always have used iphones. never Andriod or Berrys - I have used macs at home and at the office since 1990 - so I am no 'hater'.

It comprises a dive computer, temp sensor, depth sensor, control buttons, and a dock so as to use the iphone as a display. It is not simply a case.

This is not an apple vs android issue. No reason such a product can't work with an android or berry phone either. I like the idea. If it's reasonably priced and will fit earlier versions, then I may get one...even just out of curiosity.

...I cant believe all the negativity on this; particularly the comments about it possibly leaking. Gosh... point and shoot cameras in protective cases have been taken under for years. I have a GoPro in it's case that I've taken under 20 times down to 130 with no problems. Why would I think that this case is different...

Your experience with your GoPro is no failures out of 20 dives to 130'. Most of us that have been diving for a while have had a camera flood. How many dive computer floods do you hear about?

They do happen - those user changeable batteries have O rings and are just as susceptible to assembly errors as a camera. A difference is that the dive computer gets opened up once a year or less and usually on a work bench (in a shop or at home, doesn't matter) with good light, no distractions, etc. A camera (or iPhone case) may be assembled on a boat with lots of distractions, possibly in your lap. Mistakes happen. If the chance of having a piece of fluff or hair on the O-ring during assembly is 1% and you do 50 dives/year ... well you get the idea.

Software testing for embedded purpose built devices tends to be better as well - a system I wrote the firmware for was required to demonstrably operate correctly across 10k input sequences. That's a bit more stringent than any of the desktop or cell phone projects I've worked on. Not saying the app hasn't been tested that thoroughly, just saying that I haven't seen that level of testing. An algorithm such as ZHL-16C isn't that hard to code - heck, you can implement it in an hour or so if you know what you're doing, but validating function in a multi-tasking environment such as an iPhone is bigger than just the algorithm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom