ignorance almost killed me yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
yesterday i went into lake st clair ar the beach area to see how much weight i would need to get below the surface in my drysuit..i was fine when i went in and then i dont know what happened but i was pulled from the lake by a nearby fisherman who happened to be fishing in a tournament..i was taken to hoteldieu hospital and was in intensive care overnight..my gear was cut off me otherwise they would never have been able to pull me from the lake.i dont know if i got caught in an undertow or what and i dont think il ever know what happened..all i remember was i was going down and had trouble surfacing..i must have rel;eased my weight belt because they found me floating on my back..what has this taughtme?well for one to thoroughly research the area that you are diving..just because you can walk in doesnt mean that there arent any hazards to be aware of..there is no doubt that this was due to my error in judgement and il be the first to admit it..will i dive again..yes i will i wont let what happened affect my love for the water but i assure you this that i will look very closely at a site before i take the plunge..i know that there are those who will read this and call me stupid and foolish and thats ok...the fact that i survived at all i feel that god definitly had a hand in it..my guardian angel is definilty working overtime..so i think from now on il just call myself lucky..thanks for listening and safe diving..

that is one odd story. An undertow in a lake? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. If you don't mind my asking, how much weight were you wearing?

Hi Snuggle,

Well, I'm glad to hear that you got out of that one to tell about it.

Snuggle,
Glad you are safe and uninjured. Quite an experience. Your willingness to share this defining experience helps all of us.
Larry

Thanks for sharing...lots of people would have tried to hide this and not talked about it. I admire you for posting it so that we can all learn from it.

Glad you are ok..

First and formost, I am very happy that you are safe and there was a fisherman on that lake.

Back
Top Bottom