Ikelite vs PT-030

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear divers,

I plan 2 buy sp350 in couple of weeks time. However, i would like 2 know which is better ikelite or pt030 for the housing and why?

thanks in advance

I use a PT-30 housing and have had no problems with it down to 40 metres. One or two people here have had problems with buttons getting stuck on it at depth and with Olympus customer service in the USA. TTL flash exposure with an external strobe is possible with the Inon strobes.

The Ikelites are more expensive but are very well made - I have never heard a bad thing about them. They support TTL flash exposure with Ike strobes. I also hear that Ike has excellent customer service. Allthough a bit larger than the Oly housing this is not an issue as, with time, you will probably want to add strobes, handles, etc anyway.

Both work. I think the Ike is the better housing, but my PT-30 works fine.

Cheers,
Rohan.

how deep are you planning to go? down to 40 then go for oly, down to 60 then go for Ikelite. One note is that Ikelite is fully servicable a broke button can be replaced, oly only had the o-ring that can change. anything else is either difficult or impossible. Oly is slightly smaller and curvier, Ike is built to use.

The ikelite case is bigger, heavier, and somewhat more awkward to use. That said, it is built like a battleship and will last nearly forever, which is not something you can say of the camera (any camera). It is more expensive, granted, but then again you usually get what you pay for. I have watched a lot of commentary on this forum about various woes with olympus cases, and complaints about ikelite products are vanishingly scarce in comparison. I have a c5050 with the ikelite case ( in case you hadn't already guessed) and have never had a problem with either. I wish you luck with whichever choice you make.:wink: Woody

I think it really comes down to what you want and what your planning to do.

I bought my ikelite housing because I do a bunch of 120ft dives a year, plus in the future I could easily see my self going to 150-160ft one day.

But if your just planning on reef dives, or dives to 60-80ft you could save alot of money by going with the pt-30.

I will say that I haven't found anyone yet who has said something bad about ikelite(i am sure they exist) but I have heard about problems with oly's customer support.

either way as long as you do your homework and base your decision on what you need, you should be fine

good luck

I like the small size of my PT-030, and the price was good. Having experienced a couple of problems, the six month warranty and then you're at the mercy of Oly isn't so good. Both housings will accept add on lenses, but the Ikelite is a stronger set up and won't have any problem supporting them. I've seen the whole Ikelite package set-up used very successfully by a beginner. My recommendation-if you can afford it, get the Ikelite, including the DS-125 strobe and the WA lens package. You'll love your results.

Not sure about the SP350 but...I am using the Olympus C7070 in the PT-027 housing.
Has this setup for less than a year & was fustrated with the fogging problem (frontport & viewfinder inclusive, many droplets of water when I opened up the housing) of the housing on my last Bali trip. Initially, was told that maybe it was the battery heating up too much after too many shots but there were times when I observed the problem as soon as I was in the water. It was hot on the boat & the water temperature was around 22 degree C. I've tried to put the camera in a cool place & even covered with towel to prevent the heat from the sun but of no help. Sometimes, it was fine for a whole dive.. Had the fogging problem with my previous Nikon CP5200 in the Nikon housing after 6 months use..

So, my suggestion "Get the Ikelite houisng" which I will be doing so soon :)

Jovin-

Good information, wahlaoeh...

Just be aware that it isn't always reliable to compare different models. I have and use the Oly 5050 with the Oly housing and have never had a fogging issue, a button issue or any other issues with it. Others may have, but I haven't. It's a different shape and size than the 350 and that often makes a bit of difference. Dessicant packs are always a good thing (though I have to admit to almost never using them myself!)

alcina:
Good information, wahlaoeh...

Just be aware that it isn't always reliable to compare different models. I have and use the Oly 5050 with the Oly housing and have never had a fogging issue, a button issue or any other issues with it. Others may have, but I haven't. It's a different shape and size than the 350 and that often makes a bit of difference. Dessicant packs are always a good thing (though I have to admit to almost never using them myself!)

ack, alcina. my friend on the same trip was using the Oly C5060 with the Oly housing & he did not see the same problem. maybe a minor fog but mine is really bad. desiccant packs are really useless in my case as the condensations was so bad that the pack was fully wet & since it was placed near the battery compartment meaning risking causing more problem. suspected a little leak so have changed a new set of "O" rings but the problem persists. i'll be sending the housing back to Oly & would like to hear what they say..

i went on the bali trip hoping to see & "capture" some pixs of the mola mola but due to the fogging, i was denied a chance :-( when i got my Oly camera, i was only thinking of getting a smaller (easier to lug around) & cheaper setup so has opted for the Oly housing but now i've to pay extra for the ikelite :-( so i just didn't want to risk another chance & also have not heard of fogging problem of the ikelite..

Jovin-

Jovin -

That really sucks re the condensation! So glad I haven't run into that problem.

All housings can have fogging problems. I know the Ike's and some of the Fuji models such as the 810 had some issues for some people. Personally, I think it's gremlins as it seems you can two people with the same set-ups and one will be a world of problems and one will not have a care in the world.

Good luck with the new system :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom