Ikelite vs PT-030

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slowhands:
.., and consider your camera a disposable camera. .

Any camera system you take in the ocean/water should really be considered this way :wink: If you aren't willing to pay to replace outright, get insurance!!

jjwdiver:
Looking at the options for the Oly housing, which is only the housing... add a bracket for another hundred plus. That makes it look like about a hundred dollars difference. Am i way off or is this close?

This is a good value...strobe, tray and arm $149.00 Like the DS-50 (same body built like a tank) but only a slave strobe. Need to check if your camera has a preflash disable most Canons and some Olympus do.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...737&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I've had the pleasure of using the A35. Skip it, imho. Good quality but not enough light and control.

The 50 will serve you much better.

FWIW I just received an Inon 240 from Yuzo in Japan - info@naturephoto.co.jp - and spent WAAAYYY less than if I had ordered it from a US supplier, so you might want to check out that option, too. No English manual but they are online; have to send back to Japan for warranty repairs etc, so there are some things to think about....

I tried and tested both strobes as well and measured the same flash strength on both strobes and the same beam angle, use a Minolta flashmeter during test. The A35 also comes with a diffuser.

I'am having a problem downloading a picture of both strobes side by side.

I emailed Ikelite about their recommendations on a housing and strobe setup with the SP-350. The response I got was withing an hour and suggested the 6132.35 housing (which comes with the bracket), and #3944.51 Digital Package (ball socket arm, DS-51 strobe and TTL sync cord). I figured they would try to up-sell on the strobe package, but the person responding said this would work well.

Just thought I'd throw that out. Nice to get a response and so fast too.

jjwdiver:
I emailed Ikelite about their recommendations on a housing and strobe setup with the SP-350. The response I got was withing an hour ... I figured they would try to up-sell on the strobe package, but the person responding said this would work well.

Nice to get a response and so fast too.

Thanks for letting us know. It's always good to hear some positive first hand accounts :)

slowhands:
Price: PT-030 is $190, Ikelite is $500. The Olympus housing is fairly compact, but will not support external TTL strobes; sometimes the buttons on it get jammed at depth. The Ikelite is bulky, heavy, reliable and sturdy, and supports external Ikelite TTL strobes.

Many people have had concerns about the Olympus housing leaking or buttons being depressed by depth pressure, but some have had good results. Olympus product support is abysmal. Ikelite's product support is sterling.

So, perhaps it comes down to how much you want to spend and what your reliability demands are. I use both Olympus housings and Ikelite housings for my older Olympus C series cameras. On some trips I prefer the compactness of the Olympus, but on others the dependability of the Ikelite is preferred.

My suggestion is to try the Olympus, and consider your camera a disposable camera. Use it and get a feel for what you like for shooting. You may find it just right, or want to move to a DSLR in the future, depending on how much you do photography underwater. Enjoy.

i thought pt030 can b used for ttl flash? can it b used for only the olympus compact flash ones? although ikelite is more expensive but they give u afree tray and an arm plus it can b used to go down as deep as 60 meters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom