Illegal Dive Centres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't know how many dive centres there are in the Canaries but was surprised that a large number are illegal.

The Law changed in March 2008 and many centres simply haven't bothered to obtain the licences. Whilst the Spanish government appear incredibly relaxed about this I'm betting my insurance company would take a different view on a claim if I'd been diving with an illegal centre.

Question - does anyone actually check the legal status of the centres they dive with on holiday or is it enough that the centre is registered with one of the certification bodies?

(FYI - a list of legal Canary Island centres is at: http://www2.gobiernodecanarias.org/agricultura/pesca/formacion/centrosbuceo.pdf)

If they are safe who cares if they are legal. And what exactly is a legal dive center? If they have a business license and pay their taxes isn't that a legal business. Sounds like more nanny state shakedown for cash scheme than anything.

An insurance company that doesn't at least TRY to reject a claim on some spurious grounds isn't really doing its job properly. (See some of the recent threads on insurance for some Scrooge-like examples.) However, the vast majority of normal travel policies that cover recreational diving don't make any reference to the dive outfit; they're only condition is that you're not diving below your "qualified" depth.

I would like to echo the question--what makes them illegal?

If I wanted to run a dive operation locally, there are precious few steps I would have to go through to achieve legal status, not much more than registering the name of my operation with the state. I own a legal business right now--it costs me a few dollars a year in registration fees. I suspect most people don't check to see if an operation is legal because most areas do not have laws that could make it illegal.

Not sure it's merely a money making scheme Jim, if it was the government will probably be a bit more zealous in enforcing it... the license covers:

• [*=left]A proper written Emergency Plan
    [*=left]A written agreement with emergency medical service providers
    [*=left]A written agreement with a hyperbaric chamber
    [*=left]Authorisation to carry out diving from the 'Capitania Maritima'
    [*=left]Suitable first aid and oxygen equipment
    [*=left]Premises which are suitable for use as a diving centre including a classroom.
    [*=left]A compressor and installation which meets the relevant safety laws
    [*=left]Instructors who hold a valid instructional certificate

Why is it so easy to accept the idea of heavily regulated liquor stores but not the idea of regulated dive shops?

I suppose it is a good idea to check out whether a shop is "legal" or not. Can't hurt. Something we don't think about in U.S. & Canada. I do agree with Jim and CamC--- Governments and insurance companies stink.

I just realised I didn't actually answer the OP's question. No, I've never checked the legality of a dive centre I've used. I do rely on reviews a lot, so if a shop didn't have a long history and a good reputation I'd probably avoid it. Not quite the same thing, though ;-)

I'm with you CamC - never occurred to me to check until the centre I was with told me when I signed in that they were legal... to which I said.... "errrrr... OK, that's good?" - it was then that they told me that many were not - I could see their point as they had to completely re-wire the dive centre to get the licence at a cost of Euro 3,000.

The unreal thing is the Legal centres are the responsibility of the Guardia Civil so receive frequent visits to check tanks/compressor maintenance, etc. The Illegal centres do not technically exist... so no one is responsible for checking them!

Why is it so easy to accept the idea of heavily regulated liquor stores but not the idea of regulated dive shops?

I can accept that idea that it can be done. I can accept the fact that it is done in some places. I just don't think it is the norm around the world.

I am sure it is done in this place. That's why I asked how it is regulated.

Back
Top Bottom