I'm a hoover and I'm always the first to run out of air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J-FRAME, as everyone is telling you, this is a common problem for new divers. What reduces gas consumption as you gain experience is an improvement in efficiency -- efficiency in movement, buoyancy, and breathing.

Have a look at THIS recent thread, which has a lot of good information in it. And accept that a 6'6" man is highly likely to have an optimal gas consumption rate that will be higher than his more typical-sized buddies. That's what HP130s are for :)

Greetings J-FRAME you have been presented with most the options.
Now I am going to help you to relax because we all start out with a large consumption rate of gas.
I was almost right on the money of what your consumption is right now and it will gradually improve with experience.
Proper weighting / buoyancy, better trim, healthy lifestyle that accompanies active diving, you will see improvement in not just air consumption but your overall health as well.
Diving can transform our lives if we take it serious and use it to motivate our lifestyles.

You can seek out larger capacity tanks but until you optimize your dive skills and or technique you will be carrying more weight.
The reality of being a 6'6 will also mean you will burn more gas because more muscle mass means more gas.
Do not be to hard on yourself just yet, focus your time and energy on mastering your dive skills and when you see your consumption rate leveling off you will be able to determine a base line.
Then gas planning you can seek out larger tanks depending on the dives you wish to do.

What I do want to say is that being 61 is not an issue your overall health is!
Diving can be a awesome exercise and healthy encouragement just make sure you do not push the envelope to hard to fast.
Plenty of time to enjoy the path to your dive goals!
Welcome to the dive community!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

In addition to the excellent comments above, proper weighting and buoyancy is a factor in air consumption as well, and a bigger one than most people think. Take time be sure you are not overweighted, or underweighted. Trim your buoyancy so you don't need to scull with arms or kick you feet to stay at a level depth. Enjoy the view and "travel less" on your dives. Consider crossing you arms or clasping you hands to cut down on "impulsive movement."But above all, be patient, and know that consumption will improve as you gain experience, and accordingly, higher comfort level, in the water.
DivemasterDennis

At 0-24 dives you should concentrate on the basics of buoyancy, weighting and trim and this should help reduce air consumption. When I explore a new site I cover a lot of ground and use way more air than if I hover in one spot and take pictures, so your style of diving makes a difference.

In the end your air useage is what you use. One of my buddies enjoys carrying a smaller tank when we dive and another wonders what my trick is to use less than him. Divers just bring the right size tank or don't get upset at the end of a dive if they wind up with too much air, if there is such a thing.

Enjoy your diving, concentrate on the basics, and should you have to get out of the water too early, have another tank ready and do another dive.

Alternatively, consider doubled tanks that are smaller, such as HP100's, or aluminum 80's. That would require buying more regulators, and perhaps taking a short skills class to make sure you understand doubles and how to dive them safely.

You don't need the extra regulator unless you want to go tech. Just dive it as one big tank. I dive a set of doubles from the early '70s that only has one post, one shut off valve, and a J valve.

Actually my rig was the tech of the time, even had an SPG port since the Double Hose didn't, eventually I got the SPG.
Double 72s - ScubaBoard Gallery

Bob
----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Also, if I am not mistaken, muscle mass to bodyfat ratio. The more muscle mass you have typically will increase your air/oxygen needs. Also, and this is something that I was told, if you work out and stay in shape your needs increase as well. Your muscles that get used to a daily effort/workload seem to get used to demanding that much more oxygen just because your muscles are that much more in tune and you use a greater percentage of your fast and slow twitch fibres.

I have a friend that smokes like a chimney who I swear uses no air at all. Someone explained to me that his system is so used to being oxygen deprived that it can function on little air. Do you think this is true?

Also, if I am not mistaken, muscle mass to bodyfat ratio. The more muscle mass you have typically will increase your air/oxygen needs. Also, and this is something that I was told, if you work out and stay in shape your needs increase as well. Your muscles that get used to a daily effort/workload seem to get used to demanding that much more oxygen just because your muscles are that much more in tune and you use a greater percentage of your fast and slow twitch fibres.

Thats my problem, I do pilates daily, lost 40 pounds, in great shape, and still have a fairly high SAC. I've just learned to accept it, and be really happy sometimes when I see my SAC at .69, as thats rare and generally a really smooth dive.

In another thread you talked about trim issues, Fixing that will be a good start to turning off the Hover.

Energy spent trying to correct for trim issue will be taken directly out of you gas supply.

Highflier

Someone explained to me that his system is so used to being oxygen deprived that it can function on little air. Do you think this is true?

No, it's not. As has been said before, the amount of air you have to move through your lungs in a minute is not a function of oxygen, but of carbon dioxide. If you breathed 100% oxygen, you could get away with a breath every three or four minutes (if you aren't moving) if it weren't for the carbon dioxide buildup. If your friend has a low gas consumption rate, it's for other reasons.

In addition to the excellent comments above, proper weighting and buoyancy is a factor in air consumption as well, and a bigger one than most people think. .....//......

Kudos DD.

Take it from one who knows.

Try to get horizontal in the water and stop ALL motion. Breathe as slowly as comfortable while keeping your lungs half-full. You will begin to rotate head up/down and or roll right/left. Add weghts to counteract. Go to a boating store and get several clip weights that look like hand grenades, easy to move around. When you can hang horizontal for 1 minute, 90% of your diving problems will be solved.

Best,
lowviz

PS: next task is to lose the boat weights. Adjust your weight belt / integrated weights.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom