I'm a mom again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemistress

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The proud mother of a one-year-old hound/shepherd mix, to be exact. Casey is the sweetest, smartest and most destructive pup I've ever met.

Also the largest: At 75 lbs, she's skinny as a rail. When she stands up and puts her paws on my shoulders, we see nearly eye to eye. (I'm 5'8".)

Clearly obedience school is in order :)

A rescue dog, two times returned, Casey charmed me at an Adopt-A-Puppy day in front of a Maryland Petco. Within 45 minutes of our meeting, we were in the truck, headed home. (What have I done???)

She came home with me on Mother's Day, 5 months and 10 days after Little Kona died, and only four days after Baby Astro died. The house was so lonely with both of them gone.....I consider Casey a tribute to them -- They trained me to need a dog.

No matter how wonderful Casey is, I'll never forget them. Thank you, many, many thank yous to all of you who gave me so much support during their final days.

Judy

P.S. A tiny photo of Casey is on my profile.

I can't claim to becoming a mum again but a dad for the first time after my fiancee and I moved intogether at the weekend with her two dogs.

One senile bulldog! Even goldfih have a 7 second memory I think he has a 5 second one!!

And one very confused sheba/corgi mutt who is trying to work out why I don't leave every night, what is this new house and why can't she live in it?! Well she has got a rather smart kennel which she finally worked out was hers when it started raining last night!

Jonthan

Judy,

that's very good news!

Casey needs love and you are there to provide it.

Kona and Astro are certainly approving and protecting you both.

Write me if you feel like it!

You'll have lots of fun with Casey. Rescue dogs are the best, you just wake up one day and realize they're the dog you've made them into.

I found my dog in a McDonald's parking lot and she's been a great friend ever since!

In case you haven't decided yet..... crates are your best friend with a destructive dog. If you've not used one before, feel free to PM me for how I've managed to raise a couple of street dogs into in considerate house pets. We don't need the crate anymore, but it's a nice training tool in the early stages.

Rachel

On Casey. I'm sure Astro & Kona are smiling down on you for helping another stray. I'll second Biscuit on the crate in addition to some obedience training, especially for a 5' plus, 75 pound dog!

Of my 3 dogs, the 2 I rescued were the best, they really seemed to know they were rescued.

Can she doff and don her mask yet??? :tease:

Once you've been "owned"by a dog, its nearly impossible to be without one - no matter what the circumstances. I was sorry to read about your other buddies, but congrats on giving a new buddy a new life.....

SS

i was packing up her bowls and food, because she's going to spend the weekend with a friend while i visit my sick dad. but she looked petrified! (she'd already been sent to the shelter twice.)

so maybe it's all in my mind, but i started crying, called my friend, who (laughingly) told me to leave casey's stuff alone, that she would provide bowls and food.

children are so precious.....:)

Hi Judy,

Congratulations on bringing Casey into your life! As for those memories of Casey's, some of that fear of hers will never go away, and will crop up in unexpected ways. But mostly, the 2 of you will build lots of Happy Memories to cover up all that bad stuff.

Have Fun!

Scuba-sass :)

Back
Top Bottom