I'm Certified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragracer

Reaction score
Today, I finished my requirements to become a PADI Certified Open Water Diver! I've always wanted to try diving, and mother nature stopped me from trying it while on vacation in Hawaii last year.
I was turned onto Scuba West in Hudson FL. by some friends, and I think they are an excellent training facality. My first time in the pool with all the equipment on was a nerve shattering experience. 2 breaths, and I came out of the water! I couldn't breathe. Tried it 2 more times, then I got out of the pool, changed into my street clothes, and started to leave with no intention of returning. Luckily for me, Charlene Taylor, wife of my Instructor talked me into returning the following Sunday for a one on one session. She calmed me down, and had me swimming around the pool underwater in a very short time.
Our first open water dive was in the Hudson Grotto. There are some reviews here about the Grotto, and they are correct! It was like diving in a pool of tea. Viz was 4-6 feet. I don't think it was a good choice for the first open water dive. Our remaining 3 dives were at Weeki Wachie, and they were great! 100+ viz, and mermaids! We had a great time there.
Now, I need to find a diving buddy, and do some diving in the Gulf!

It's a wonderful feeling isn't it. Now get out there and spread the word and have fun, and please dive safe. Maybe some day we will get the chance to dive together. Congrats again.

:giveusahu

Welcome to your new addiction!!! Have fun, be safe and STAY WET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:froggy:

Training in less than ideal conditions makes you enjoy the good conditions that much more.

My kids and I practice navigation in a quarry that you can only see 3-5 feet in on a good day!

Bravo Dragracer,

My OW checkout dives are the first weekend of May. I can't wait. just reading the boards until then, and checking out Beneath the Sea this w/e.

Bravo! The first time you go under the water is second only to the certification dives for most memorable moments in diving. You have a licence to learn, now go get wet!

good job, Dragracer...

go Dragracer GO!

(sorry :wink:)

I almost gave up the sport on my first open water dive. Got in the water and had a mental battle about whether I should or shouldn't. Could not face buying all the gear and not submerging. Well, convinced myself to put my regulator in my nouth and put my head under the water.

Since then I never looked back and went on to get my AOW.

Let me add that the reason for my fear was almsot drowning when I was in the Armed Forces. That old saying " if you go down for the third time it's over". Well I did go down for the 3rd time and was lucky a life guard came out to save me. Horrifying experience, although it makes me more aware of insuring that I adhere to all the safety practices and know my limitations. One thing to remember, only you are in control of whether you dive or not. DO NOT let someone talk you into diving if you feel it is NOT SAFE.

So, DIVE SAFE AND DIVE OFTEN

Joe :drummer: :rock_band

Dragracer:
Today, I finished my requirements to become a PADI Certified Open Water Diver!
Oh, mercy, they let you through the program?

:crafty: Just kidding. Your experience wasn't all that uncommon, we're all glad to see you made it through the process. Welcome to the board and to the underwater world. It's going to change your life.

Back
Top Bottom