I'm going to quit smoking!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very nice indeed

I don't know if this is the *Official* quit smoking thread but...

I've been trying to quit smoking since the new year, and unfortunately, keep on relapsing due to stress from school and work (two very bad triggers). I've been think about the patch, but I didn't know if this actually worked for anyone. Cold turkey isn't really working.

I'm also wondering about the underwater use of the patch, as I'm diving on Mondays, which is a pretty stressful day for me.

I found a site that may be of interest to anyone else that is considering options to quit smoking.

http://wolfweb.unr.edu/homepage/shubinsk/smoke.html
Click on "How to Quit" on the left.

the patch worked for me on the third try (or maybe fourth) ... combined with herbal cigarettes to deal with the hands and oral issues ...

not sure about how they work under water .... but i would rather quit smoking even if it means not diving for a few weeks =)

also, remember, stress is just an indication of poor coping skills ... you are smoking to self-medicate (i.e. treat the symptoms). you are not dealing with the underlying causes of the stress (which is how you cope with life).

you may need to deal with those underlying causes. that's when i finally got to quit.

H2Andy:
the patch worked for me on the third try (or maybe fourth) ... combined with herbal cigarettes to deal with the hands and oral issues ...

not sure about how they work under water .... but i would rather quit smoking even if it means not diving for a few weeks =)

also, remember, stress is just an indication of poor coping skills ... you are smoking to self-medicate (i.e. treat the symptoms). you are not dealing with the underlying causes of the stress (which is how you cope with life).

you may need to deal with those underlying causes. that's when i finally got to quit.

It's not really a fixation for smoking, but the "herbal" cigarettes are an interesting alternative.

It's mostly school related stress, and I've got 10 more weeks before finals, so it's only going to become more intense. I'm diving for course credit, so I need to be able to dive in order to pass the class.

My problem lies when I get very irritable during those times when I'm having to deal with group members or professors, or I'm working on papers and projects. I'm able to quit until I start studying and then I can't keep focused, so I usually break down and buy a pack.

Guess I'll just keep trying to "practice" quitting, I'll get the hang of it soon.

Don't worry about it- But don't let it be your excuse to start up again either.

Cen Tex Divin- Used the patch for the full ten weeks when I quit last July. Worked really well, still had the occassional craving but they passed really quickly and I was able to stick it out. Pick a date at the end of your finals and go for it.

Craig Baumann:
Oops! Smoked a couple this week. Don't hate me. I saw Paul Newman smoking in "Hud" and had to have one.

just quit again and keep going

and avoid triggers that make you want to smoke, such as watching people smoking in the movies or for real -- this is a big trigger :wink:

Fish_Whisperer:
I quit on the 18th of December. :)

dude!

I quit a 3+pack a day habit ~25 years ago.
I had quit about 20 times before to no avail.
When I finally did kick the habit, it felt like the right time (physically and mentally).
The only thing that I did differently the last time was to keep telling myself-"THERE IS NOTHING , NOTHING THAT WILL MAKE ME START THIS AGAIN". I knew one cigarette and back to 3 packs a day within two-three weeks.
Gained about 30 pounds. Keep taking it off and putting it on but, I am sure that I would not be doing the diving that I am still able to do today, if I had not quit.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL who are quitting.
You are a courageous bunch!

Back
Top Bottom