I'm going to quit smoking!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My motivation is finally figuring out the physiological effects of smoking.

I learned earlier in the semester how smoking introduces CO in to your body, which attaches to the hemoglobin better than O2 causing you to need more circulation to get the same amount of O2 to your tissues.

I'm still not sure if this is correct, but I read that the reason you smoke more when you drink is that the alcohol raises the acidity in the pH in your system, which attacts the nicotine into the blood, causing withdrawl symptoms more often.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_NicodemonsLies.html

I quit smoking six months ago. There is a new medication called chantix It has no nicotene, it works by blocking the nicotene receptors in the brain. I know two other people that quit on it. Here is the website www.chantix.com

Seriously I have tried gum and patches and the best way is cold turkey. Flush it out of your system as fast as possible and stop delaying the inevitable withdrawls.

Azza:
Seriously I have tried gum and patches and the best way is cold turkey. Flush it out of your system as fast as possible and stop delaying the inevitable withdrawls.

I agree. I quit smoking cold turkey in 1992 after smoking 3 packs a day for about 3 years. I don't think it bothered me nearly as much as it did my co-workers. :D

CenTexDivin:
Yeah, I was really considering some sort of help, but people were telling me that addiction to the patch was common, and I'm not trying to give up one thing for another.
Depends on the person- I used the patch for the 10 weeks or so that they recommend while going from the highest dosage to the lowest and I felt great! It kept the cravings at a very manageable level for me and the dosage on the patch the last couple of weeks is so low it wasn't a problem when I stopped using them.

i found the patch invaluable ... after the ten weeks i used it for, i had a fairly smooth withdrawal for about two days, and then was ok

i smoked herbal cigarettes to have something to do with my hands for a few weeks after that, until i got sick of them, and stopped smoking them

it worked for me

Sugarless mints, lots and lots of sugarless mints.

Proud of you all

kicked a habit once too

all habits are monkeys on your back

Hold it on the road!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom