I'm going to try Bikram yoga tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had never heard of it until a couple of days ago. A woman I work with traveled to Vancouver on business and one of our co-workers out there took her to a class. She came back raving about it. She found a place close by so we're going to check it out in the a.m. You do yoga in a room heated to 105 F. The class is 90 minutes long and you can only drink water when they tell you that you can.:rofl3:

I used to do yoga all the time when I was in my 20's. Then a few years ago I took classes once a week given by our recreation dept. But then they changed instructors and I didn't like the new guy so I didn't enroll again. My friend is a young woman in her 20's who never did yoga before, so we may start out even.:wink: I know, yoga is not a competitive sport, but it

I find that flexibility exercises are sorely lacking in my regimen of strength training and cardio. If I make it through the first class without fainting, then I'll go back for a week. For $25, you have unlimited visits for 7 days. If you pay for one session, it's $22. It's pretty expensive so I doubt I'll sign up for a month of classes, but my friend is all gung ho. But she doesn't feed a scuba and uw photography habit. :rofl3: But if I like it, I might treat myself once a month or so.

I love yoga, but can't see myself ever doing Bikram. Obviously it has many fans (addicts?), but the whole heat thing seems nuts to me, even if I liked heat. That, and what I've heard about the dialog.

I love yoga, but can't see myself ever doing Bikram. Obviously it has many fans (addicts?), but the whole heat thing seems nuts to me, even if I liked heat. That, and what I've heard about the dialog.

Dialog?

you could just do it outside if you want hot! :wink:

i've started yoga in the last month or so, too. i'm really enjoying it.

OMG look how big your little guy is!! How's he doing? He is sooooo cute!!!

Bikram classes are always the same, and teachers are supposed to memorize and use the official dialog. Even though some of it is apparently broken English and not always the best description of what you're really supposed to be doing, or says some odd things (the one I've heard about most is "Japanese ham sandwich,") they're supposed to say it anyway.

hey, thanks, ellen! he's doing great, eating everything not nailed down including all types of veggies. :wink:

How old is the little man now? He looks so happy. That is such a great pic. A woman my mom works with had a premie a few months ago. I'll tell her to tell the mom how great your guy is doing. I haven't kept up with your posts about him, but your avatar says it all.:)

Anyway, I did the class this morning and I was ok in the beginning but about 40 minutes into it, I started to feel very nauseous. The teacher opened the door for me so some cool air from the lobby would help. I finished the class but only did the second set of poses and rested during the first. The standing exercises were the hardest. Even my 26 year old friend sat down through a lot of them. And I had a headache after the class and I still don't feel quite right even thought it was over 4 hours ago. I can go to as many classes for the week as I want, but I'm not sure I will go back. Of course they will just tell me its all the toxins leaving my body.

This teacher didn't stick to any dialog though. She did some chit chat during the class.

I'm curious why Bikram and not a normal ashtanga or other yoga class? Was it just because your friend wanted to try it? My wife teaches yoga, and many of her students that have tried Bikram leave it fairly quickly. The drawbacks seem to be frequent dehydration, and that some of the poses that you can do in a heated room cannot be duplicated except in that enviroment. And most of the Bikram rooms I have been to (not in the classes) all smell like sweaty feet. There is also some anecdotal evidence of injuries from overexertion because the body seems more flexible that it really is due to the heat.

All that said I am a big fan of Yoga for several reasons. It complements weight training and cardio by adding flexibility (too many years at a desk job), the breath control helps in diving, and the meditation/mental aspects are probably keeping me from stressing out and having a stroke (non in the non-DIR sense). I hope you can stay with it.

My wife does Bikram and has helped her back, when nothing else has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom