I'm hooked.... how to progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many many cave trained divers dont live near any divable caves I wouldn't let that dissuade you from getting trained.

It's good to see someone get enthused and set themselves a goal - what ever that goal should be.

Without trying to dissuade you in anyway. Advance training is like jumping down a rabbit hole regarding time and money, and requires a significant investment in both. As you plan your roadmap to your end goal just be aware that in all likely hood rather than setting some time aside on vacation, you'll for instance plan a whole trip just around the training course,

If you go the GUE route, then you'll see you'll need a significant gear investment just for the first step (doubles wing, regs, drysuit etc etc). Also appreciate that after each course you'll need to just dive to consolidate your skills. For instance Cave 1 requires 100 dive post OW cert

I'm guessing - that you'll need 100 dives post Fundies and your dives pre fundies won't count - happy to be corrected here.

Whatever. You'll need to find a way of regularly diving, to keep your skills up.

While none of this is an obstacle it's worth getting your mind around it at the start so that you don't suddenly hit a wall because of the unavailability of time/equipment.

Enjoy the adventure

You definitely don't need to go sidemount to start out. It adds a level of complexity especially if you are learning sidemount and cave diving at the same time. Also If you are going to take cave in sidemount in Mexico I would be hesitant to take your sidemount course anywhere else. Even in Florida there are very few descent sidemount instructors. I would say you could count the descent ones on one hand. In Mexico there are lots of good sidemount instructors. You basically have 2 camps there the Razor guys and the X Deep Stealth guys. Both are good systems but there are advantages and disadvantages especially if you are going to dive large steel tanks such as in Florida.

.... ...s... sidemount was recommended to me by the dive guide I've used on my past few cenote dives. ..
Also... it was highly recommended I buy my own sidemount rig for a sidemount course... is that sound advice? (and the recommendation was from someone in the razor camp.... however that may impact their opinion )

Honestly this sounds like someone trying (hard) to sell you something you don't need. The idea of sidemounted tanks in a cave is to let you pass tight restrictions, it is - in short - an advanced technique for experienced cave divers. If you undertake the PADI sidemount course it will not be accepted as enough to allow you to do intro to cave training in sidemount. The standard equipment for cave diving is back mounted doubles.

My advice would be to start your journey with a cavern course from a recognised technical training organisation. (The PADI cavern is not widely recognised - unfairly in my view but that is another debate for another time).

This will have two benefits; firstly that it is requirement for the next stage and second that it will give you time with an instructor that teaches cave diving.

Also I would look at backmounted doubles as your standard equipment. Given your current experience level I would suggest starting with a small pair of tanks to familiarise yourself with the new equipment. You will need to change the BC to a wing and also move over to a long hose primary donate system away from the octopus rig you have used so far. I am sure you can find suitable training with this equipment where you are and it is not a requirement to have a cave to do so.

The intro to cave course is the start point of cave diving. To complete this course you will need to be able to shut the manifold valves on a doubles set. This is a skill you can practice without a cave. You will also need a high power lighting source and a backup light. Again these are equipment items you can familiarise yourself with in any environment.

By the time you have done all that you should have another 50-100 dives or more and be in a good position to start the intro training.

Many many cave trained divers dont live near any divable caves I wouldn't let that dissuade you from getting trained.

Very true. We live in the South of England and our nearest caves are 500 miles away in France. We practice in a quarry and use a submerged shipping container as the "overhead". If you keep your skills up to date the trip away becomes a pleasant holiday not more training and so on.

Cave skills in my view are good for open water diving too.

However, if you really want to dive sidemount here, look up Lexi Fraser. She teaches at Bamboo Reef SF, which based upon your description I think is your local shop. She's a good cave diver and will help you learn basic sidemount skills properly.

Hehe.... good detective work. I may look her up. I saw they have a sidemount course in Sept, I'm guessing she must run that. She may also have some good advice on how to move forward while spending most of my time in the bay area here.

I would like to up my dive count. Not just because it would be a likely requirement before I progress much further, but simply because it is fun.

Honestly, the sidemount doesn't appear all that intimidating, and I would like to get the tanks off my back. I think I would much prefer having tank access at my side, rather than on my back, at least for overhead environments. Adding complexity to a dive is fine as long as it doesn't exceed my capacity to accomplish everything (of course... we never know that point until it's exceeded)... heck... I've had to assemble/disassemble my camera equipment in the middle of my dives to avoid additional charges at cenotes! (that's a joke... I am in no way implying that assembling a camera/light rig is of equivalent complexity to sidemount)

I think I would much prefer having tank access at my side, rather than on my back, at least for overhead environments
Depending on who you train with for cave, but certainly with GUE you'll have to use backmount doubles. If it were me, I'd get comfortable with those.

That said I'm just an open water and wreck person and no nothing about cave diving

I'd use backmounted doubles to start as well. Cavern + intro (also called Cave 1 by other agencies like GUE and NAUI) in sidemount is silly. And its harder to practice at home (i.e. some boats aren't going to like you, it wont work at all for some beach dives)

Sidemount is a tool, rebreathers are tools, backmounted doubles are tools. They all have a niche.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom