I'm interested in the answer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a great reply and the cable connection decided to fail...here goes for a short version.

I want to dive deep PNW wrecks. When I started diving I had no idea if I'd been sold a bill of goods in terms of training or if it was all the same or anything. There really is no way or knowing what to look for until after you become a diver and know what to look for (the eternal catch 22 of dive training is no initial frame of reference).

I was watching Discovery channel and caught the Brittanic dive with the GUE team. I was really floored by the show and the degree of preparation they went through. I then found this board and started reading all I could to learn more about becoming a better diver. I started hitting threads with some stuff I'd never heard of before...DIR, BP/W, etc. As I read more, it started to make sense. Then...I realized that the show I watched was about DIR divers...and one of their key training shops was really close by...hmm...this is interesting.

I started watching the 5thD videos on basic dive skills and realized that I couldn't do them anywhere close to what was "textbook" and that the "skills" portion of diving had never been emphasized in the classes I took. The more I looked around at the people I saw diving, the more a lightbulb turned on. Few were really skilled divers in terms of bouyancy, trim, streamlined gear etc.

I decided to keep researching and one of my philosophies is to read and talk to as many people as possible in order to learn from them and learn from their mistakes as well. I realized that much of the DIR program made logical sense and that the level of skills as exhibited by their instructors was absolutely phenomenal. This looked to be a great path to get the skills to do the dives I want to do.

As I started meeting and diving with DIR divers, I started learning more and more (and still do) on each dive.

The equipment is tried, basic, uncomplicated and relatively bulletproof. I liked that it was in many ways "traditional" gear. It wasn't the "latest and greatest just in from DEMA". They didn't seem to push multiple sets of gear for multiple disciplines, it all seemed to start with the same foundation and as skills and dives progressed, more was added to the foundation.

As I started encorporating DIR principals and equipment into my diving...the fun factor just got way better.

The one negative which hovers over DIR is the preponderance of the "DIR internet cyberdiving lemming". Unfortunately, some of the strong personalities of DIR have been damaging in their delivery and there have been a vocal minority of people who want to just be in the "club". What I have found is that a good ability to separate wheat from chaff is needed when reading anything DIR related on the internet. Luckily, I have found nothing but phenomenal divers and phenomenal people when we've hit the water together.

I dive it cause I know the others in the group will be on the same level (or close to) as me-- I do it becasuse I dont want to have to worry about my partners safety or equipment failures-- I do it because it has stanards and proceedures that dictate the way the dive should be planned, and executed. I do it becasue I have been on too many trips where I have been paired up with "buddies" who were inept! So I choose who I dive with out of the "pool of teammates" we are assembling.

bwerb:
I had a great reply and the cable connection decided to fail...here goes for a short version.

I want to dive deep PNW wrecks. When I started diving I had no idea if I'd been sold a bill of goods in terms of training or if it was all the same or anything. There really is no way or knowing what to look for until after you become a diver and know what to look for (the eternal catch 22 of dive training is no initial frame of reference).

I was watching Discovery channel and caught the Brittanic dive with the GUE team. I was really floored by the show and the degree of preparation they went through. I then found this board and started reading all I could to learn more about becoming a better diver. I started hitting threads with some stuff I'd never heard of before...DIR, BP/W, etc. As I read more, it started to make sense. Then...I realized that the show I watched was about DIR divers...and one of their key training shops was really close by...hmm...this is interesting.

I started watching the 5thD videos on basic dive skills and realized that I couldn't do them anywhere close to what was "textbook" and that the "skills" portion of diving had never been emphasized in the classes I took. The more I looked around at the people I saw diving, the more a lightbulb turned on. Few were really skilled divers in terms of bouyancy, trim, streamlined gear etc.

I decided to keep researching and one of my philosophies is to read and talk to as many people as possible in order to learn from them and learn from their mistakes as well. I realized that much of the DIR program made logical sense and that the level of skills as exhibited by their instructors was absolutely phenomenal. This looked to be a great path to get the skills to do the dives I want to do.

As I started meeting and diving with DIR divers, I started learning more and more (and still do) on each dive.

The equipment is tried, basic, uncomplicated and relatively bulletproof. I liked that it was in many ways "traditional" gear. It wasn't the "latest and greatest just in from DEMA". They didn't seem to push multiple sets of gear for multiple disciplines, it all seemed to start with the same foundation and as skills and dives progressed, more was added to the foundation.

As I started encorporating DIR principals and equipment into my diving...the fun factor just got way better.

The one negative which hovers over DIR is the preponderance of the "DIR internet cyberdiving lemming". Unfortunately, some of the strong personalities of DIR have been damaging in their delivery and there have been a vocal minority of people who want to just be in the "club". What I have found is that a good ability to separate wheat from chaff is needed when reading anything DIR related on the internet. Luckily, I have found nothing but phenomenal divers and phenomenal people when we've hit the water together.

I follow most, if not all, of the DIR principles simply because they make sense. I agree that some of the supporters of DIR have kind of...shall we say...made DIR divers look like a bunch of egotistical ******. I have had some questions on DIR procedures and asked a buddy of mine who his GUE Cave 2 to explain a reason for a procedure or two. After the explanation, the procedure made sense and I would follow it. Simply blindly following DIR principles because its DIR seems kind of rediculous to me. Ultimately DIRs methods are time tested and they work. I'm in the Marines so I tend to like the "everybody has the same equpment in the same place" type attitude. It cuts down on any decisions etc that must be made during an emergency ultimately making you safer in my opinion. As in the Marines, there are no white people, black people, red people, orange people or whatever...everybody is considered green! A certain level of training is expected and you wear your equipment etc just like everybody else.

I guess I sort of grew into DIR. When I started diving, the only buddy I trusted was getting into “tech” diving. He started forwarding stuff from the tech-diver mailing list. There was a lot of crap on the list but the DIR stuff had a consistency and logic to that appealed to my mechanical engineering mind.

I was bitten by the diving bug (and just happen to live where I could fully enjoy my new addiction). When I wasn’t diving, I was reading about diving. The more I read, the better I liked DIR (note: I wasn’t just reading DIR stuff). I was also spending a lot of time guiding dives and being a “local dive buddy” for our LDS, etc. I got to see plenty of divers in the water and a lot of gear configurations. As a member of our dive rescue team I also got to see the results of some not so well thought out diving.

Nothing I saw made as much sense as DIR.

I took every class I could (including instructor). NOTHING came close to tech1. No class taught me what I wanted to learn like tech 1. It wasn’t some macho tech diver bs, it was a well though out learn to friggin dive course. Finally, someone wasn’t afraid to teach diving (thank you Andrew and Nick!).

I LOVE diving. I want to learn to dive and learn to dive well, DIR is simply the best solution I’ve found to date.

Robinhood:
I follow most, if not all, of the DIR principles simply because they make sense. I agree that some of the supporters of DIR have kind of...shall we say...made DIR divers look like a bunch of egotistical ******. I have had some questions on DIR procedures and asked a buddy of mine who his GUE Cave 2 to explain a reason for a procedure or two. After the explanation, the procedure made sense and I would follow it. Simply blindly following DIR principles because its DIR seems kind of rediculous to me. Ultimately DIRs methods are time tested and they work. I'm in the Marines so I tend to like the "everybody has the same equpment in the same place" type attitude. It cuts down on any decisions etc that must be made during an emergency ultimately making you safer in my opinion. As in the Marines, there are no white people, black people, red people, orange people or whatever...everybody is considered green! A certain level of training is expected and you wear your equipment etc just like everybody else.

Ditto!! And Semper Fi

u5agi...I haven't seen it but...I wonder if Discovery channel offers it...you know at the end of the show when they say "If you would like a copy of the preceeding program call us at..." Might be worth a try.

Diver0001:
you can download an avi version of the National Geographic special here.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud/DIR/

You need an XviD plugin for the media player. 255M IIRC.

R..

hi,

just downloaded the video file (loooooong download) but have no idea where to find the xvid plugin.

can you help ??

sorry: disregard the post. a friend from work saw me typing and found it for me.
thanks

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom