• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

I'm mad at Dive-aholic

Discussion in 'Sidemount Diving' started by TSandM, Dec 7, 2010.

1. LiteHedded

LiteHedded Contributor

andrew ainsle is using a razor harness in florida when he's diving open circuit I think. not sure exactly how he's pulling it off but it can be done. and since UTD's is just a clone it should work too :p

2. TSandM

TSandM Missed and loved by many. Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

Steve, it's funny that you chose that picture of Jim to post. Another from that same series is my desktop picture, and has been for quite a while, simply because the grace Jim shows epitomizes what I love about diving . . . what I learned two days ago was that I can have that feeling, too.

3. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    Jim, It can take months to work through the fine tuning of sidemount. I don't think any of the commercially available rigs are great right out of the box. They all need modifications. The best thing to do is find an experienced instructor or mentor to guide you through the process. This should be someone who has experience with many different configurations and rigs, not just someone who took the zero to hero sidemount instructor course.

4. Pearldiver07

Pearldiver07 IDC Instructor

I now am the proud owner of a Hollis SM.

I see all of this talk about the Nomad (and I know it's the first real commercial option), but not much discussion on the Hollis rig.

Anyone care to chime in?

I'm still in the very EARLY stages of prep and tuning now.

5. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    I'm still undecided on the SMS100 wing. I need a couple more dives in it before passing judgment on it. However, I absolutely do not like the harness. The routing of the webbing, the design of the shoulder straps, and the position of the rails were all poorly thought out. The routing traps back up lights kept on the shoulder straps. The shoulder straps are not stable enough. The webbing pulls away with the weight of the cylinders. And they sewed the webbing to the pads so it can't be fixed. The rails are too close together. And the fact that the harness and butt plate are all one unit is a negative attribute. I've been diving my rig for 3.5 years now. The wing will likely be the first thing I replace due to wear. The butt plate will be the second. With the Hollis, I'd be replacing the entire harness to replace the butt plate. Some of these issues can be modified. Most cannot.

That being said, none of the commercially available rigs are great out of the box. My Nomad has a lot of modifications to it, and more to come.

6. Pearldiver07

Pearldiver07 IDC Instructor

Rob,

Thanks for the honest assessment. I'll use that input to focus on what I can (and cannot) do.

7. Jax

Jax Deplorable American ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    HEY, TSandM! I'm working on a sidemount class with Rob between now and February . . . . :blinking: Care to join us?

:spit:

:shocked2: Kinky! :blinking:

Wow! I'm on the front edge of a wave! :yeahbaby:

8. BCSGratefulDiver

BCSGratefulDiver Mental toss flycoon ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    ... I'm going to be doing the same in May ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

9. Kevin Carlisle

Kevin Carlisle Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Oh I will finally get to meet Bob!!!