I'm mad at Dive-aholic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, I have the Army to thank for my knee and ankle problems.

The Razor is designed for use with aluminum cylinders. I'm also pretty confident that whatever wing Steve comes out with will have limited lift capability. It works for Steve and the type of diving he does. But it doesn't work for me and the type of diving I do. There's nothing wrong with that. That's one of the beauties of sidemount. The issue is when some people try to convince others that a particular system is the best all around for all sidemount diving. What works for me and my diving won't necessarily work for you and your diving. One of the things I ask people who come to me for advice about which rig to buy is why they want to dive sidemount and what type of diving they will be doing. These two things play a large role in determining which rig will suit them best.
I was thinking the same, based on his type of diving and hearing his comments on his limited need for buoyancy devices. That is one of the reasons I have been running many ideas through my mind on a wing setup for the Razor. I don't mind aluminum per se, but right now I don't own any.:D Thanks for your input. I've been following the SM threads and do appreciate all the info that's coming across. Yours has been especially informative. :)

So, Jimi, when are you heading down to rent a rig and try it out? :) Edd'll take good care of ya, I promise!

So, Jimi, when are you heading down to rent a rig and try it out? :) Edd'll take good care of ya, I promise!
No doubt, I've heard nothing but good things here. Don't know when I'll get that way. Springfest will probably be my first foray down Fla. way next year. New Years Day will definitely be my first dive of the year. We hit the Tn. River in downtown Chattanooga on the 1st regardless of the weather; it's become somewhat of a tradition. This will be the first year I've done it DRY. :D
DSCN0656.jpg
It didn't snow the year of this dive until a little while after we got out. :eyebrow: Brrrrr....

"It's his fault that I'm going to have to find an heir for the Borg avatar."

I may be slow, but... what does getting converted to SM have to do with abandoning the avatar?

"It's his fault that I'm going to have to find an heir for the Borg avatar."

I may be slow, but... what does getting converted to SM have to do with abandoning the avatar?

Sidemount is not an "approved DIR configuration."

Borg is an analogy for DIR system where everyone is part of the collective.

If she abandons the DIR system in favor of sidemount, she's no longer one of the Borg.

I think she needs to assimilate the Borg . . . just sayin'!

I think she needs to assimilate the Borg . . . just sayin'!

Why do you feel that sidemount needs to be endorsed by DIR advocates?

Why do you feel that sidemount needs to be endorsed by DIR advocates?

I think I explained it pretty well. Add that the DIR population gets older, the appeal of sidemount grows.

Lynne, I disagree that you give up your cupcake!

GUE needs some nudging to look at sidemount and to figure out how to apply their system to sidemount diving. They are more than a little behind the times on that.

People like you and me are discovering the health benefits of not hauling a 100 pounds of doubles around. Not only are people developing back and leg issues, but the Army is producing a great many individuals with back and leg issues due to the current conflicts.

How about you and Peter carry the water back to the Borg and get them to start thinking of how to assimilate sidemount. :)

I think I explained it pretty well. Add that the DIR population gets older, the appeal of sidemount grows.

I think you explained why sidemount appeals to a certain segment of divers. I'm asking why you think the DIR segment needs to embrace it.

Or to put it another way, why do you think sidemount needs the DIR stamp of approval?

1. One would assume that DIR would want to continue to swell its ranks.
2. It's way more likely people will give up BM to go SM, but probably not too many going the other way.

Ergo - better to assimilate the sidemount than to watch sidemount leach your population away.

Lastly, I think that as more DIR people tout the benefits of sidemount, the DIR folks will themselves demand sidemount be standardized and brought under their system.

Back
Top Bottom