I'm not concerned. . .but should I be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be careful to have a working computer (or a good set of tables available) before diving. If something goes wrong with your computer on a dive thumb it and head to the surface remembering your safety stop.

The rash is probably an irritation or reaction to marine life. Remember not to go too deep too fast. It's a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for all the info Don, I think you nailed it. . . . I had left my gloves at home, one of my buddies had one tattered right hand glove and offered it to me, which I took figuring hey, better to be able to hold on to something with one hand than none if I need to . . . . well my Michael Jackson look must have been the trick to keep this from having happened to both wrists/hands as it only appears on my left wrist. thing is still looking kind of nasty, but just real puffy and irritated, I'm hoping that it goes away but as said in a different post, I guess if it was something from a jellyfish or coral that it may last a few weeks. But you are correct, won't be doing any lines without gloves on from now on. Was looking for a Monty Python Black Night flesh wound joke, but man, if I start looking anything like that I would defintiely be in the ER. . . My spot of question definitely doesn't look like a wound at all, there's no scabbing or anything that would indicate I got cut, just a rash.

There is always a chance to die from infected scratch, food poisoning, sudden allergic reaction etc at home or during vacation. Even frequent precautionary visits to the doctor will not always save you, because then you may die from medical mistakes, hospital infections and again allergic reactions to the treatment.

Well, "thing is still looking kind of nasty, but just real puffy and irritated" is worth a free call I think. 1-800-446-2671, chose prompt for non-emergency medical questions. It's probly the rash described in the Coz link and mine usually take a month to grow new skin & heal, but get a pro's opinion. :wink:
There is always a chance to die from infected scratch, food poisoning, sudden allergic reaction etc at home or during vacation. Even frequent precautionary visits to the doctor will not always save you, because then you may die from medical mistakes, hospital infections and again allergic reactions to the treatment.
Yeah, I was not trying to suggest staying home & hiding. Just take injuries seriously, and when in doubt - call DAN.

is worth a free call I think. 1-800-446-2671, chose prompt for non-emergency medical questions.

I'm assuming this is DAN's #? I'll call at lunch and let you guys know what they say.

Thanks again Don, you rock.

Yeah well, that's what caused her injury. Excellent for shower shoes and light beach wear, but no support for street wear plus more exposing. Go barefoot instead; at least you'll watch where you're stepping. I like my $5/pair wallyworld beach shoes.

oh man..... :no:

i_heart_love_flip_flops_sticker-p217751703353132699tdcj_210.jpg

DAN is agreeing with the general consensus, nothing indicates that it could be nitrogen related this far past the dive and that the way the rash manifested is in line with symptoms of hyrdoidal coral contact or jellyfish (which as I said, I did see several of during the ascent, maybe one bumped me and I didn't notice). Said was OK to use some type of Antihistamine ointment and only be concerned if it: starts spreading, produces discharge, or otherwise worsens. They also said to keep it dry and clean as possible as it only goes away when the infection or whatever dries out.

Thanks again for all the responses, it was all very educational.

I have to say I was glad to see the DumpsterDiver post as that was the mindset I was in at the time, yeah my computer was out, but I was continuing knowing that it was paramount to stay close to my buddy who had a working one and refer to the redundant gauges for depth/elapsed time/SPG. That being said, if I were to be in the same situation, I would probably still continue with the dive, maybe even without redundant gauges and just make it clear to the buddy with computer that I am going to be tied to his/her hip and that if at any point we become separated we both need to abort. I got a new ring for the battery compartment though so I'm hoping I won't run into the same issue

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I use hydrocordizone cream and voodoo but that's me.

Don, I'm into hoodoo but to each his own... LOL. Seriously you are not gonna see me diving Texas waters anytime soon :acid:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom