I'm so blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm using an stylus tough 8010 and all my pictures seem to turn out blue or green depending on the water, is there a filter that would help with this??

Attachments

• West Palm Beach-20120527-21.jpg
    West Palm Beach-20120527-21.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 2011 07 07_First Photo Dive_0048.jpg
    2011 07 07_First Photo Dive_0048.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Molasses Reef Fire Corral -20111010_15.jpg
    Molasses Reef Fire Corral -20111010_15.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 62
  • jamaica last dive_08 28 11_0244.jpg
    jamaica last dive_08 28 11_0244.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 55
It depends on how deep you go. The longer wave lengths of light get absorbed first by the water column. As memory serves, red light is absorbed in the first 15' of the water column. At a certain depth (around 60'), pretty much everything is blue or green.

You can test this by taking some colored object down and looking at it and then shining a light on it. The light will be a sourse of the long wavelengths.

In order to get the full color spectrum, you need to take down a light source. The light source is usually a flash unit.

I have taken shots of fish against seemingly nondiscript backgrounds only to find out later that the background was actually a pretty garish mix or orange and crimson.

I'm using an UFL-1 flash, but I'm thinking I'm to far away for it to make a difference.

Do you know what the diameter is on the front port thread? You can get a UR/Pro filter from any number of sources that will solve most of your problems. UR/Pro Underwater Camera Filters

Contact Reef Photo in Ft. Lauderdale, they probably have something that will work. Similar to this one: UR Pro Blue Water Filter, 37mm [ur.cy37mm] - $99.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Since you seem to be shooting in SoFl and Jamaica, you'd want the blue water filter.

but I'm thinking I'm to far away for it to make a difference.
You might've been on all but the 3rd shot.

Hi, I've just discovered something called a color correction filter. You can buy one for green or blue water. Good luck.

I'm using an UFL-1 flash, but I'm thinking I'm to far away for it to make a difference.
Anything more than a couple of meters away would be lost on your UFL-1 flash unless you are in gin clear water on a sunny day.

Is you flash working and is it synced correctly as I see no indication that you are using a flash.

Filters are fine but flash is better as filters reduce the light which is already reduced.

I'm using the fiber opitic to fire the flash

Ron makes a good point. Are you shooting faster than a 60th of a second? Or on some sort of auto mode? Maybe your camera is trying to compensate for what it perceives as low light conditions and slowing the shutter so your flash is out of sync. It appears that your flash syncs to the camera using a TTL connection - since yours fiber optic - there's no direct connection between the flash and the camera.
Sp what it's looking for is a trigger from your camera's flash afaik. It's really impossible to tell but they both need to be firing simultaneously for the flash to be effective. I helped my buddy once some years ago with a similar Canon setup so I'm slightly familiar with it.

I "borrowed" this from Ocean Optic Sales:

this underwater flash is one of only a few that allow TTL underwater flash photography in slave mode - ideal for multiple flash applications and single flash macro shots. Combining the UFL-01 Flash to your Olympus camera and housing will make underwater photography fun for everyone as it improves the over all lighting capabilities underwater. This means greater image quality and makes diving and underwater photography a whole lot more enjoyable
• Waterproof: 40 meters (133 feet)
• Slave flash, no fiber optic cables required
Flash modes: Manual & TTL

The blurryness in the third image might be indicative of that. I've now reached the limit of my u/w flash knowledge - I shoot video - but it appears that this may be your problem. Maybe one of the photo experts here can confirm my logic.

In your last image, in the lower right corner it appears you are pretty close to a dark object. I would've expected that to be a lot brighter.

Capture.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom