I'm the Pariah again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue no one has really addressed for Matt is "why was there buddy separation?" The lesson here is not that there are arrogant captains and dismissive divemasters, the lesson is that buddy separation should not occur. What was done after there was separation was not totally appropriate by either involved diver, but Matt acted appropriately for the most part. I really think though that one should back up the clock and focus on why the buddies were separated and how it could be avoided. Not only proximity to your buddy, but awareness of location and activity as well. When working with advanced students in a local reservoir her, where some dives are quite challenging due to limited visibility and clod water, buddy separation is not an option. We discuss avoiding it, not what to do it it happens. Matt, I suggest a quick read of my blog titled "Keep Your friends close and your buddies closer." You may find it useful. Finally, I hope you will be less prove to worry about your "performance" in the eyes of other divers. But open and honest with others about your experience level, dive within your limits, know that you will be a better diver after each dive, and just enjoy diving. I think other divers are less critical of you than you are of yourself. Move on.
DivemasterDennis

Are you sure your not a paid SCUBA BOARD "thread generator" ? :)

Seriously though, Hang in there and over time you will be both experienced enough to help ensure little to no buddy seperation occurs, and how to deal with well meaning albeit often times gruff Boat Captains and DMs/Deck hands.

You may also need to get a little thicker skin when your out diving...

Cheers,
Roger

The first responsibility a diver has is for their own well being. That is also the first priority of the Captain, dealing with the diver in front of him that may be in distress. So when the captain asks if your OK you respond with a yes I am OK, or a no I need immediate attention. Rescue diver teaches you this, your #1 priority is you. Giving the captain the OK signal takes what, 2 seconds?

Once that has been established then you can ask if your buddy made it back. That is your #2 priority. Your buddy could be 1) on the boat or 2) still diving or 3) in trouble. Regardless your confusing response to the captain did noting to help your buddy, in fact quite the opposite.

Sounds like you had a boat full of good people who all apologized and tried their best to help the situation. Everyone apologized except the one person who most owed an apology..... and that would be you.

---------- Post Merged at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:46 PM ----------

...... buddy separation is not an option. We discuss avoiding it, not what to do it it happens. .....
DivemasterDennis

As a DM teaching divers what to do if they get separated is part of the OW class. PADI mandates this. This is especially true in places like CO where you can be 5' apart and lose sight of one another.

Buddy separation is not an option? Sounds like a Rambo movie! I guess I have finally found the perfect DM... :D

Last time I checked it takes two to have a missing buddy scenario. Not only was Dr.M abandoned by his reef grabbin', horn honkin' instabooby, but the guy was back on the boat relaxing rather than telling the crew that matt was missing. Two completely different responses to the same missing buddy event. Neither one was totally correct, but I would rather dive with matt than with a buddy that left me in the water. Matt, you can be proud that you care about the safety of your partner. This is more a lesson about how to signal properly. I am ok but looking for buddy. If Cap'n Crunch spoke to me like that I would tell him to F off and that I don't like being abandoned because I didn't come to see whatever hornblower was honking at. My buddies and I have a rule that all noise makers are strictly for emergency only, no tank bangin' for turtles. So if you hear one you had better not swim the other way as their meaning has been made clear prior to the dive. My advice is to relax, stop over thinking, stop traveling all over, find one really good op on cozumel, dive for a week, with big tanks of nitrox, repeat as often as necessary. Diving should be much less stressful. Get comfortable with your own skills and equipment, then take up underwater photography so you can learn to think only about yourself and getting that perfect angle shot rather than silly things like "does my buddy have enough air left for both of us or "Gee I wonder why everyone keeps ducking behind the reef, I hope it's not because I keep stopping to take pictures". Buddy? Naw we can just dive in a group.
If that doesn't work just take a chill pill and lower your expectations of your fellow man. Again, repeat as often as necessary.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Are you sure your not a paid SCUBA BOARD "thread generator" ?
icosm14.gif
That's what I thought, but then I realized you can't make this stuff up.

On the other hand, if Matt did swim away from his buddy and the buddy thought that matt saw him and that matt was the goofy instaboooby, and swam back to the boat to alert the crew that matt was missing and the crew was just starting to enact their emergency plan when they saw matt surface and he failed to signal ok, given their heightened alert status, and knowledge of the missing buddy event,(matt, not the original missing diver), of which matt was unaware of, then they were probably thinking to themselves " I knew this one was going to be trouble when he walked on the boat , and see I was right!, But that is a lot of ifs and ands.

I can easily see the events of this dive happening. It's all too easy to forget to discuss buddy separation protocols before getting in the water -- this happened to me a couple of months ago, with someone I would just have assumed would follow the protocol I was taught, but he didn't. In addition, it sounds as though the separation occurred after a prairie dog pop to check boat position -- many people would assume at this point that the "dive" was over, and if they got separated, since everybody was headed back for the boat anyway, they'd just go. It's not how I do things, but it's not uncommon and probably not entirely indefensible. As somebody else stated above, I'd rather dive with Matt than with his buddy, but the big problem here was that they weren't on the same page.

Once Matt surfaced with a lost buddy, though, communication went south, and again, I don't entirely blame him. We are not taught how to communicate "I'm fine, but my buddy is missing" in signals to a boat. In Matt's mind, he was NOT fine, because his buddy was missing, but in the captain's mind, he needed to know if the diver he was looking at required assistance, which Matt actually did not. Seeing a low mileage diver in a situation like this, I'm not surprised that an effective sequence of signals didn't immediately occur to him. Learning to improvise signals is something I think most of take some time and some odd experiences to do.

Once everyone was back on the boat, though, things could have been repaired fairly easily. I think an earnest explanation to the captain of WHY Matt chose not to use the OK signal would have been received well -- perhaps countered with the reasons why the captain thought he SHOULD have used it, but all in all, an amicable exchange. But if I were the captain, and asked, "Do you know what this signal means?", and someone just stared at me, I'd get increasingly irritated, and things would probably go much as described.

Somebody already brought up the adrenaline hangover that parents feel when they find a lost child and scream at him. I think some of that was operating both for the captain, and for Matt. Being anxious and confused about losing a buddy you feel responsible for, and being confused about how to communicate that over a distance where voice wasn't useful, would leave me anxious and frustrated -- and I would have been more than a little annoyed, myself, to find my "lost buddy" relaxing on the boat. At that point, you can do one of two things. You can simmer in your righteous indignation, and skip the second dive, and irritate everybody on the boat, or you can take a deep breath, chalk things up to experience, explain yourself pleasantly, accept the buddy's apology, and sit down to do some communication and some planning to prevent the same thing from happening a second time. You can stay stuck in the moment, or you can look forward and get past it.

I have a very good friend with an awful temper. When he loses it, he makes everyone around him uncomfortable and unhappy. He knows that. After one of his eruptions, he ends up pretty much alone, because nobody wants to deal with any of the awkward emotions that go along with such an episode. People who cope gracefully are much more pleasant to be around than those who are sullen or can't let go of things. Life is full of great experiences and good stories -- if you aren't having the former, you should be planning the latter :)

I have NO experience with insta-buddies and have never lost sight of my sole diving buddy, so I cannot offer an educated opinion on this. However, I see some excellent responses here. The posters who say that the insta-buddy sitting on the boat while his buddy is looking for him is a complete a$$ have my vote. However, I also agree that things should have gone a whole lot different when everyone was on the boat. While I wouldn't advocate sulking on the boat through the next dive, and making everyone around me uncomfortable...I most certainly wouldn't appreciate being talked to like a child by the captain. There were enough mistakes made to go around. Again, my experience with this virtually nonexistent, but when my son and I have discussed this...it is search for one minute, then surface and sound the alarm.

Having said all of that, am I the only one wondering what Matt's response is to all of the replies to his OP? Hopfully, he hasn't re-chimed in because he is out diving!

Matt,
You and your buddy got separated. This is the crux of the situation. Procedure says that after being separated for one minute you surface and try to see if your buddy is on the surface. If not, you need to get to the boat so that you can notify others of the situation. You are not supposed to go back down to look for your buddy. Your buddy was on the boat, so the captain and crew were at anchor or moored probably with other divers in the water and could not break anchor or the mooring to come get you. More likely than not, your buddy reported to the crew tht you got separated and the crew when they saw you needed to know if you needed rescue or whether you were OK. If you can't make it back to the boat because of current, the protocol is that they will come to you when they get the other divers on the boat. Inflate your SMB and wait. Evidently you were close enough that they could swim a line to you so that you could pull yourself back.
It amazes me that you seem to have so many issues everywhere you go. When diver "A" has an issue with diver or OP "B", it can be a misunderstanding. When diver "A" has a problem with diver or OP "C", "D", & "E", the common denominator is diver "A". You really need to get this figured out.

Matt got lost underwater, lost his buddy, and then required a "rescue" by the boat crew.. I fully support his decision to sit out the next dive.

Matt got lost underwater, lost his buddy, and then required a "rescue" by the boat crew.. I fully support his decision to sit out the next dive.
Sure, if those were the reasons he sat out. But the reason he sat out the second dive is because he was sulking like an eight-year-old who's just been scolded.

These last two threads by Matt are only tangentially related to scuba diving. He lacks basic social skills.

Back
Top Bottom