I'm thinking about changing from a transpac to A BP/W any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a wide Chest & Traps the chest straps really help

I really don't understand this. If you have a wide chest, the slots on the top of the backplate will tend to hold the harness straps in so that they ride nicely in the hollow over your collarbone. No need for a chest strap at all. It's those of us who are very narrow who have problems, because the harness straps going from the slots at the top of the plate to the ones at the bottom ride over the ball of the head of the humerus. This causes them to want to slide off the shoulders, and also cut into the inner upper arm. That's where the crossed straps are helpful.

My mileage is usually different. Personally, I'd stick with the Transpac since you are diving single tank. I have yet to find a backplate that is comfortable for my body, carries the tank stably and is reasonably easy to extricate my shoulders from compared to my ancient X-Tek soft harness (the equivalent of the Transpac I). If I'm diving doubles I do use my BP/W though.

... but the buckles also just seem like another thing that could fail...

I have been diving a Transplate since last year and it's great. My wife, too. I'm just a recreational diver, and switching from my original Scubapro Classic jacket to the Transplate was one of the best upgrades I've ever done since I started diving in '94. Probably not as big a change as going from Transpac to Transplate for you. If you haven't done so already, I recommend you talk directly to Dive Rite for thoughts and ideas on what might work best for you. I did that last year before getting the Transplate and got much more specific information than I found online in lots of discussion threads

My wife and I tried the Halcyon continuous webbing for a DIR intro before trying the Transplates, and found the Transplate more comfortable and convenient for recreational diving

I've seen all the comments about buckles being another thing that can fail, but never see any horror stories about them breaking for recreational diving. I've only used the quick releases once on my Transplate in the water, and that was when I was playing victim for a rescue class and the students needed to separate me from my BC. Otherwise, with the adjustability there's not a lot of need, but they are nice to have. When you look at all the places and sports the black plastic quick release buckles are used today, they don't seem to be a major point of failure. If you're really worried, you could always tie everything together with line as a backup.

The nice thing about backplate/wing configurations is you can always change out the harness if you don't like it instead of having to buy everything all over again

TSandM.....thank you for the reply. I'm thinking about going with a hog plate/wing, they seem to be cheaper in price. I'm glad you mentioned buying a single wing for now because I was about to look for a dual purpose wing, I'll take your advice and start with a single. Would you recommend using a chest strap with a basic harness?

Thanks again,

I agree with TS&M's comments. DSS has awesome stuff (quality has value). If out of your price range, you might try a Oxycheq (also nice wings) package with these folks - call rather than online order for best price.

Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

I have a transplate as well and it is OK, but I would go with one of the above two before DR.

I have a Dive Rite HOG Harness. I love it because it was the cheapest harness I could fine, and it works the same as a more expensive harness. It was around $23.00. I know others will chime in and disagree, but after all it is made of the same material as other name brands, and functions just as the same. I have used it for around 50 dives, and no complaints.

My mileage is usually different. Personally, I'd stick with the Transpac since you are diving single tank. I have yet to find a backplate that is comfortable for my body, carries the tank stably and is reasonably easy to extricate my shoulders from compared to my ancient X-Tek soft harness (the equivalent of the Transpac I). If I'm diving doubles I do use my BP/W though.

agreed! Transpac is the best of both worlds, has the advantages of conventional BCD, with the customization capability of a DIR 'raw' harness (you can use any wing and placement of D-rings/pockets/weight systems/etc. you want). I've built 2 custom back-inflate systems using Transpac as the foundation. The % of the diving population needing gear more DIR/Hardcore than Transpac is microscopic!

but the buckles also just seem like another thing that could fail.

I dived a transpac for my Trimix course. Then went to using a SS BP with Zeagle deluxe harness, now I have a AL BP with APEKS OPH.

I moved to the OPH to see if it is really that much better than the options out there. To be honest it hasn't won me over. Yes I'm secure but after a dive I want to dump my kit and stretch, instead of having to extricate myself from the OP.

I'm skeptical on what is written about buckle failure. I'd wager more people choke on toast each year than there are buckle failures, yet nobody beleaguers toast. . Honestly it's one of those things which gets written up endlessly on internet sites, but I don't think anyone has the numbers on buckle failures.

A better diver than me (Jack Ingle; UK tech instructor) pointed out in a gear configuration session, that your neutrally buoyant underwater, where's the strain? Sure you stand up on the boat there's a chance, maybe even a weighty giant stride, but underwater? Doubtful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom