Impact of the US Shutdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just flew this past weekend and both in Ft. Lauderdale and in Indianapolis TSA was a non-issue. Short lines, plenty of agents. You wouldn't have known there was a shutdown. It may take all of the TSA agents and air traffic controllers walking off the job bringing air travel to a halt to end this think. Insanity on both sides in my opinion.

Are the coast guards affected or they are paid as they are necessary for security ?

They are required to work but are not being paid as they are DHS and not DoD. They are very much impacted.

Who checks the permit? Wouldn’t the lack of anyone to issue one be a reasonable excuse not to have one?
Yes. But the state is who enforces the rules, and they are working.....

They take a dim view of "whelp, no one was there to issue me a permit....."

They are required to work but are not being paid as they are DHS and not DoD. They are very much impacted.
That’s terrible, I hope they get paid all the money they are owned when it gets solved

Are the coast guards affected or they are paid as they are necessary for security ?
Coast Guard is not being paid. I work on a Coast Guard base. They are pretty zen about it....

I've already read about one incident where a TSA employee was caught stealing from a passengers luggage. I bet this will happen a lot more as things get more desperate for these folks trying to feed their families and resentment grows towards other people who are going on vacation while they can't even pay for school lunches for their children.

What gov't. employees deal with diving and dive ops?
NOAA, EPA and Coast Guard come to mind. (Navy is still paid.) Another parent at my kids' school was a NOAA divemaster.

Edit: The parent was a divemaster who worked and dove for NOAA. To my knowledge, he didn't act as a divemaster FOR NOAA.

NOAA, EPA and Coast Guard come to mind. (Navy is still paid.) Another parent at my kids' school was a NOAA divemaster.

Edit: The parent was a divemaster who worked and dove for NOAA. To my knowledge, he didn't act as a divemaster FOR NOAA.
The head of NOAA diving is a friend of mine, lives in Key West, and his wife is the superintendent of the Sanctuary. They have a large training class every year here in KW, but it has had to be cancelled, resulting in a large loss for the local dive shops, in boat rental, tank fills, etc. If it slips any more, they will have to cancel, resulting in a permenant of income for the local dive shops.

I'm supposed to by flying in March for a dive trip to Florida out of Detroit.
Anxiously watching not only the TSA, but the border crossing from Canada into the US that I will have to cross in order to get to the airport and the TSA. Right now, crossing the border into the US is getting quite long at times with only a few gates open.
Hoping things will be resolved by the time we leave...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom