Impulse buying and Ebay on a slow day are a bad combo. (Royal AM project)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
Aqua-Lung Royal-Master Doubble Hose regular | eBay
Short version: how did I do?
Long version:
I have a bad habit of browsing ebay and deciding I need stuff that I really don't.
I happened to be browsing used scuba for aqualung stuff (I seem to be hoarding certain late model conshelf 14 stuff and Titan 1st stages with both din and dry kits among other things at the moment) and I tripped over a royal aqua master with a $75 starting price ending soon and no bids.
I had always thought it would be neat to rebuild and use a double hose set so against my better judgement I decided to look on VDH and see exactly what it was and determined it was a 70-72 model with an older knob on a long yoke. Slightly out of round cover at the hose port but it looks fixable and the green spots inside look like they will scrub off based on worse single hose stuff I have played with. Cover is scratched up but its not going in a display case.
I am guessing I will need a new everything and parts alone will be hundreds of dollars but I'm fine with that.
I'm not a true vintage diver so I think I will have to get that phoenix 1st stage (with din) despite how much it will jack the price up because I don't want to change out all the rest of my stuff so I need at least one hp and lp port. That of course makes me want to use the HPR 2nd mod and fancy wagon wheels and diaphragm vdh sells too.

Did I miss something on it? I figured nobody else bit because he spelled double wrong in the title so it didn't come up when searching for double hose, and anyone searching for the other words was looking for something else or a mint condition royal AM. The price seemed OK for what it is but usually ebay stuff goes for more than OK.

Can't take your money with you! If this makes you one bit happy, then by all means it was the right thing to do....as long as you don't follow it up with buyers remorse:wink:

for $75 you aren't too bad off.. been there, doing that now for another for my daughter....

IMHO Needs (if I was rebuilding this one):

Cyclone/Banjo (keeps long yoke and allows for pressure gauge) or Phoenix (replaces yoke, adds LP & HP ports)
HPR second stage
HP Diaphragm
Main Diaphragn (single stage for the HPR)
DBE (duck bill eliminator)
Hoses
DSV Mouthpiece
Hose and mouthpiece Clamps if originals aren't okay
Couple gaskets & washers....

Should clean up well. Long yoke is an interesting option....

Check with Bryan @ VDH for suggestions.

This is me with a 1958-60 DA Aquamaster updated with all I suggested (Phoenix).

Have fun!

DH in Curacao.jpg

If it weren't for the need for a BCD (too much buoyancy swing with cold water gear here) I would try and track down the seemingly not available at the moment banjo fitting.
Without having the reg in front of me I'm not really sure which new special tools I would need that I wouldn't have already from fixing single hose stuff. More research needed.

EDIT: If I could find a banjo fitting for the hp port I need and figure out these adapters to the hookah port I am reading about in a few other old threads for the LP port then I wouldn't need the phoenix and that would be ideal.

Last edited:
VDH sells the port adapter and a 2 or 3 way LP port splitter solves the LP issues (I do that on one of mine). Banjo... none at VDH? Ask Bryan ( @OWIC647 ) when if out of stock. Look up tools on the VDH site. Herman's tools ( @herman ) makes the ones to do it right....

Might also check with Rob at the scuba museum ( @1969ivan1 ) if Bryan can't.

I would add to Bob's list a band clamp (replaces those blasted C clips). The DSV is optional, I like mine but a good reproduction MP is fine too. I prefer the Voit hourglass design, it's more comfortable to me.

Special tools- a body wrench, a ring nut wrench and if you don't have one a HP nozzle assembly tool (same one that is used on Conshelfs and older Titans). I assume you already have basic wrenches and circlip pliers.

Finally found that hookah adapter on their site and I will ask when the banjo will be back in stock, thanks for the help.
Seems silly to replace most of the vintage regulator I want to rebuild and use with the phoenix so this is exactly what I wanted to do.
I have gotten tools from herman, looks like he is getting more of my money.

It has the can clamp already....

The older I get the more important it seems to have absorbing hobbies that prevent the mind from chewing on itself...Congratulations on an excellent investment:)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom