In defense of Casual Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
A DM or an instructor-led dive is a trust me dive unless you are a full partner in the dive planning process, which is highly unlikely.

nonsense... I trust the DM's I use in Asia as knowledgable u/w tour guides who can show the sites and critters that I might overlook or not know where to look...

edit: OK, yeah it's a trust me dive... I trust him to know the local conditions... although I've been thrown into some dives where the currents/ conditions went down hill... :wink:

pakman:
edit: OK, yeah it's a trust me dive... I trust him to know the local conditions... although I've been thrown into some dives where the currents/ conditions went down hill... :wink:

It's not always a BAD thing. If you don't know the local conditions, you are much better off diving with a DM. We were taking a course in Cozumel and my instructor had my buddy lead the dive as an exercise. We spent a lot of time looking at sand. :shakehead

TheRedHead:
A DM or an instructor-led dive is a trust me dive unless you are a full partner in the dive planning process, which is highly unlikely.

When I arrange to dive with a guide, DM or Instructor, I am in full partnership with that individual or I would not be diving with them or paying them for their service. As I stated a little further down in my post a good guide, etc, always works with us, to achieve our goals.

Sean C:
When I arrange to dive with a guide, DM or Instructor, I am in full partnership with that individual or I would not be diving with them or paying them for their service.

I didn't mean it in a negative way and perhaps someone should offer a formal definition of a "trust me" dive. It is my understanding that if you depend on someone, particularly if they have a lot more experience, to select the site, lead the dive and navigate, you are essentially trusting them not to lead you into a dangerous situation. This is in contrast to a diver who goes to Florida and teams up with a buddy to make a dive plan on their own and navigate the site and get back to the boat safely. Perhaps someone can clarify?

TheRedHead:
I didn't mean it in a negative way and perhaps someone should offer a formal definition of a "trust me" dive. It is my understanding that if you depend on someone, particularly if they have a lot more experience, to select the site, lead the dive and navigate, you are essentially trusting them not to lead you into a dangerous situation. This is in contrast to a diver who goes to Florida and teams up with a buddy to make a dive plan on their own and navigate the site and get back to the boat safely. Perhaps someone can clarify?
What you are describing is the difference between the casual diver and the diver with a casual approach to diving ... and they aren't necessarily the same thing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
What you are describing is the difference between the casual diver and the diver with a casual approach to diving ... and they aren't necessarily the same thing ...

You haven't made it any clearer defining a "trust me" dive. Since it is the object of ridicule my some posters, I think it is an important point to clear up.

TheRedHead:

I don't actually remember ever hearing the term "trust me dive" until my cave training. Since then, the useage seems to have expanded some. In that context, a good example would be a circuit or a traverse. In either case you are following a different rout out than you followed in. The way those dives are done is you dive first from one direction and mark the line if you should hit your turn pressure and exit the way you came in. Then you do another dive comming from the other way. If you reach your own marker before hitting your turn pressure and you're confident that you can find your way out the other way then, in theory, you can continue and complete the dive within the limits of your useable gas.

If I said "Hey Red, I do this dive all the time. Your SAC is as good as mine so lets go!". If you do that ciruit or traverse without setting the dive up yourself it's a trust me dive. You are trusting that my assesment is corect and that I know the way. Once you pass your turn pressure you are either headed out or you're eating up your reserves and if I'm wrong you're dead unless we can rectify the situation on the amount of gas that we have reserved.

In a recreational diving context, I would say that any time you lack the knowledge or skill to complete the dive on your own, it's a "trust me dive."

Having a guide isn't what would make it a "trust me dive".

Leaving all the gas planning or decompression planning to the guide would probably make it a trust me dive.

If you have no idea where you are or where you are going during the dive, that might make it a trust me dive, although at some places it doesn't really matter where you are.

If you are diving beyond your own limits/experience/training based on the judgement or assumed skill of the guide, that might certainly be a trust me dive.

Relating it to this thread, if the client divers are really reliant on the DM's for their safety in the water, or don't know, or can't complete the dive plan without the guide then I would call it a trust me dive. Who says that it's not going to be the guide who ends up missing or incapacitated?

BKP:
What an elitist pile of crap...

Of course you're right. I got a little peaved when I read how thankful I should be for the divers who are getting shotty instruction to begin with and then only make matters worse by not bothering to improve their skills.

MikeFerrara:
Relating it to this thread, if the client divers are really reliant on the DM's for their safety in the water, or don't know, or can't complete the dive plan without the guide then I would call it a trust me dive. Who says that it's not going to be the guide who ends up missing or incapacitated?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm in total agreement. While I employ the use of a guide,etc. on all my current dives, we try to ensure that we are participating not just following the leader. In fact, on our last two dives in that warm clear water that we do not have up here, our guide was navigationally challenged and it was my wife and I that pointed to where the boat was. Admittedly, we did allow him to surface and get a bearing, but we were well under control and could complete the dive at anytime without assistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom