In Manila for two months

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am sure you get asked this a lot, so bear with me please. :)

I will be in Manila for 2 months starting on Oct. 12th for work. I won't have much room for gear, I was going to bring my prescription mask, dive camera, and my reg, but I don't have room for much else. So that's one problem - the other hang up I have is that I have never dove(dived? :p) anywhere other than the north Atlantic so I don't have experience with resort diving, or dive operations with crappy gear, etc. I have my Padi AOW and 31 dives under my belt but only 2 boat dives.

I also have no idea what my work schedule will be like beyond a vague 'you will have weekends off'...

So to recap my long winded cry for help... :)
Is it possible to do overnight trips, or day trips to great dive sites?
What are your recommendations for resorts or Dive shops to go with?
Is having to rent gear a risky option?

Please keep in mind seeing fish with colour would count as a great dive to me at this point... although the idea of diving with whale sharks would be amazing!! (although from reading it sounds unlikely until after Dec).

anilao in batangas, puerto galera in mindoro (both macro mainly) and subic bay (wrecks) can be done in a weekend, overnight or daytrip.

the following resorts are more often used by locals here (they have gears for rent as well):

anilao: aquaventure reef club, balai sa anilao & dive solana
puerto galera: asia divers, action divers, atlantis, la laguna beach club

if you'll have more time to spare try the visayas region, do a search on the following:

donsol, sorsogon
southern leyte
malapascua, cebu
cabilao, panglao, pamilacan in bohol
dumaguete
coron, palawan

this is just a quick list. i'm sure the regulars here will have more for you. i'll try to link to previous post which might be of interest.

welcome to the PI :)

Thanks so much for any info. The gear rental info was great too...I am so used to diving in my dry suit now that it will be strange to not need 35 pounds of lead and a steel tank. :)

Thanks so much for any info. The gear rental info was great too...I am so used to diving in my dry suit now that it will be strange to not need 35 pounds of lead and a steel tank. :)

diving out of anilao resorts will be a lot stranger :D

pampered is the key word :)

or you could rent here in manila. check out divers point for rentals and gear you may want to buy.

Where will you be staying in Manila? That would have people be in a postion to advise you on nearby dive shops that san make bookings for you also.

Make sure you do a check out dive to get all your weights and trim properly adjusted. I don't think you will be needing a wet suit since you are used to cold water. Give ity a go without a wetsuit and see if you are ok. I don't think you will find the need for a wetsuit. I have not dived with a wetsuit since moving here from California.

You will love it here.

I use a suit made of Lycra(not a pretty sight) but it provides protections from scrapes and stings. Concur with ozziworld that you should consider getting a check out dive to get your bouyancy right, I was in Moal Boal last week and watched as some divers inadvertently crushed several years growth of branching corals(due to poor bouyancy Control)..

Cheers,
Roger

JAck scuba

go shorts. and enjoy the stinging jellies, other than that, shorts is the best hehehehehe . ofcourse you should not find 27 degrees centigrade (80 F) cold.

so you can go shorts then use a hood.

hehehehhe what a sight.

JAck scuba

go shorts. and enjoy the stinging jellies, other than that, shorts is the best hehehehehe . ofcourse you should not find 27 degrees centigrade (80 F) cold.

so you can go shorts then use a hood.

hehehehhe what a sight.

i had a DM before who wore that... it was seriously funny.. couldn't stop my self from snickering the whole time. hahaha...

Back
Top Bottom