• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

In what way do you deal with your fin straps?

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by scuba=dude, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Thalassamania

Thalassamania Diving Polymath ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Springs are great, so are fins straps done outside to inside and then taped.

2. scuba=dude

scuba=dude Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives

In the name of fun..........I just have to ask you this........so have you gathered up all these 10 fins or have you maybe seen the same fin for 5years??? Or do you now have 5 pair of Lungers laying around? AND if you do have 5 pairs how about selling me a set?
    :rofl3::eyebrow:

3. Hatul

Hatul Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Exactly which tape is that?

4. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Any high quality vinyl electrical tape that pros use. I have had good results with Scotch Super 33+ Premium Vinyl Electrical. I tried the typical home-center black electrical tape and found a huge difference in thickness and adhesive quality. The important part is to stretch it about 30% as you wrap and have clean hands. Oil from your skin can ruin the job.

scuba=dude likes this.
  5. Travis B

Travis B Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    spend a buck and get the spring straps :),, hard to beat them

6. Jai Bar

Jai Bar Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    It is for real- I now have a set of fins for each member of the family- some of them will have to wait some a few years more to be able to use them :D when I'm back home I'll post a "fin family" photo.

One of these fins I got from someone else: a couple of years ago there was a young solitary male dolphin that stayed on the same site for many months. Divers, snorkelers and swimmers used to come early in the morning and play with him. Someone named him "Marco" and the dolphin apparently didn't mind. So, it wasn't uncommon during a dive to feel that "something is watching you" turn around and see the dolphin stalking behind ye.

To make long story short, in one of these dives I met the dolphin and I decided to try to arouse his curiosity so he stays with me longer than usual. So, I removed one of my fins and pushed it towards him to see what happens. However, Marco just looked at it and swam away. I thought to myself "damn, I got him scared". After a couple of minutes I see him raising lots and lots of sand, apparently pushing something on the bottom. When I got close to see what's going on, I see Marco is pushing a fin towards me. This is true story (no Sh!t) and I promise to post photos!

What happened with Marco? When he became adolescent, apparently people caressing him too much got him aroused (yep!) and he became slightly "over interested" in people, some of which got scared and run out of the water. After a while he disappeared never to be seen again. There are unconfirmed rumors he was caught by authorities and relocated to a remote area, but not before he gave me a fin gift :cool2:

7. scuba=dude

scuba=dude Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Now that is a cool story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    As a drysuit guy I use spring straps, with a little handle on the back of them. I think they came from Trident. I commented to a buddy of mine just last week, that these things were the best thing since "sliced bread".

For years, I have been using full foot fins in warm water... big suckers... and they work fine although I sometimes get blisters. Pondering going back to boots and foot pockets, although I like to free dive between dives, so I'm "waffling"...

9. jester1226

jester1226 Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I use Force Fins, They come with a bungee strap, but it is not even necessary. The fins will not fall off!

10. Jai Bar

Jai Bar Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    fin family and Marco's contribution :)

Attached Files:

Aquabot and Comstockfire like this.