INACTIVE DM now - is it worth becoming an instructor to work 3 months only per year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AVODKA

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All

INACTIVE DM, 500+ dives, 15 years wet and all my own gear.

I have a job teaching in the School of Business at University and have lots of holidays per year.

Is it worth becoming an Instructor to ONLY work from Nov to Feb?

I know there are PADI fees of god knows how much......

Not an instructor myself, but do know a fair few part time instructors well. They all have to work part time through the year to earn enough money to pay the PADI fees and earn a small enough profit to cover gear services, replacements and insurance. But the one thing they do love is teaching diving and that's their main goal. Question Id ask is what's your main goal for those few months of the year?

If you enjoy teaching then do it.

If teaching is not something you want to get into then go to SE Asia and dive.

It depends on what you mean with is it worth it. If you like it, yes, do it!

If you're doing it for the money.. Moah... Maybe?

I maintain my instructor rating simply because I enjoy teaching and also because it’s part of my retirement plan (I.e. if I don’t have something to do I’ll become an alcoholic).

Pick and choose when and where you work as peak season in a busy centre is no fun at all. I tend to go very late season when some full time instructors (Europe) are heading for warmer areas.

Seems to fill a gap for some DCs and certainly older students seem to feel more comfortable with an older instructor.

If it were me I'd look at simply one aspect. How much pay? If you enjoy teaching and you are at least decently "in the black", it would seem a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom