INACTIVE DM now - is it worth becoming an instructor to work 3 months only per year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotcha, thanks.
If I wasn't opening a dive center, becoming an instructor would be the worst financial decision I've made, despite the fact I love the transformation many of my students have made.

Remember that you must maintain insurance for seven years AFTER you stop teaching.

It really isn't worth it.
Yeah, that's what they say. The word must is inaccurate--there is no law to that effect. I imagine a lot of people don't do that. I personally have never had a single incident that would even remotely lead to a lawsuit, and I imagine a lot of people are like that. I suspect loads of those people don't keep paying after leaving the profession.

Yeah, that's what they say. The word must is inaccurate--there is no law to that effect. I imagine a lot of people don't do that. I personally have never had a single incident that would even remotely lead to a lawsuit, and I imagine a lot of people are like that. I suspect loads of those people don't keep paying after leaving the profession.
I won't disagree, but I'm fairly risk averse. Insurance is cheap compared to my assets.
There's a Dutch saying, you can't pluck a naked chicken. I'm not a naked chicken. I'm not worried about ever being sued, but I'll still carry insurance until the statute of limitations ends.
What other inactive instructors do is none of my concern. Like diving, everyone was must their own level of risk.

This is purely to dive more, maybe I am better off just paying for dives as a tourist and not even bothering with the instructor aspect.

Especially if I need to keep paying insurance after my last teaching day.

Remember that you must maintain insurance for seven years AFTER you stop teaching.

Statute of limitations for lawsuits.

Most professional insurance can be obtained as a “tail,” which is coverage only for prior acts, but nothing new. DAN offers it for instructors and DMs. I’m sure others do as well.

This is purely to dive more, maybe I am better off just paying for dives as a tourist and not even bothering with the instructor aspect.

Being an instructor is the last thing I’d wanna do just to dive more. Go dive for fun.

Most professional insurance can be obtained as a “tail,” which is coverage only for prior acts, but nothing new. DAN offers it for instructors and DMs. I’m sure others do as well.
Yes they do. But it is still money that has to be spent. IIRC, it is about half active dues

Being in AUS (I assume) might mean different rules as far as insurance goes. We in the US are much more litigious than most (all?) of the rest of the world.

That being said, if you just want to dive more, I'd recommend renewing as a DM. Less responsibility and potentially more diving. I really enjoyed my time as a DM and if DM'ing there is anything like DM'ing in the states, there's plenty of DM work for those willing to put in a modicum of effort.

I never thought of that. If that applies to DMs who assisted I guess I've been lucky since it just happens to be 7 years from next month (Oct.) that I did my last one. Now I gotta worry for about 3 weeks.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom