Inadequate Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dark_basic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm nearly finished with my OW course. Last week we worked on shared air ascents. I asked the instructor if he would cut off my air underwater and then I would commence with sharing my buddy's air to simulate a more realistic experience. He declined. I am constantly feeling like the training is inadequate and geared so that everyone can become a diver. I feel that in the case of a real emergency the majority of my class would panic and drown. This is ENTIRELY my opinion and I am not criticizing the PADI training methods however I just want to hear what you have to say about training methods.

Ciao,
Collin

If there was a problem you would be up sh!t creek without a working reg. If you're sharing air from your buddy's reg, there's no good reason to have your tank turned off at the time.

If something went south, and you had to go back to your own reg you'd be glad that your tank was on.

It's called simulation.

There is no advantage to making training dangerous to demonstrate skill in this or any sport.

And, from my limited experience, I think you are right -- PADI is geared to making anyone a diver -- as it should be. Diving isn't some elite sport, though there certainly are dives and divers that push limits of training, technology and conditioning. For most people, though It's a leisure activity.

The average diver wants to go on vacation, put their head under and look at the pretty fish while swimming with a DM. Training is geared to make that happen.

You can't train people not to panic. That comes with experience. PADI teaches the basics and expects people to go from there. The "PADI is a diver mill" opinion has been beat to death.

Although, I do agree having yor air turned off would be a good idea. My instructor did that. He then "forgot" to turn it back on before I swtiched regs. Excellent learning experience...

dark_basic:
I'm nearly finished with my OW course. Last week we worked on shared air ascents. I asked the instructor if he would cut off my air underwater and then I would commence with sharing my buddy's air to simulate a more realistic experience. He declined. I am constantly feeling like the training is inadequate and geared so that everyone can become a diver. I feel that in the case of a real emergency the majority of my class would panic and drown. This is ENTIRELY my opinion and I am not criticizing the PADI training methods however I just want to hear what you have to say about training methods.

Ciao,
Collin

Dive courses are set up to test you for basic skills, and producing Navy Seals is not the objective. Once qualified we all dive at our own risk, so it is beneficial continuing your education and training. You don't necessarily need to do more courses, just practice what you have learned and find reading material that increases your knowledge.

Did you do the "Air Depletion" exercise during Confined Water Day II? This should've given you a good idea of how it feels to run out of air under water.

Seriously though you need to lighten up...the basic OW courses are merely an introduction to the UW world. If you want a huge challenge and high failure rates there are plenty of tech courses out there later on.

Cheers.

-J.-

I can see your point in wanting a realistic experience, but since you dropped your reg anyways (and are breathing off your buddy's), does it really matter? I think part of OW training is to get people comfortable diving - I was nervous enough doing it without knowing they were going to 100% cut off my air. We did the air depletion exercise too, but I felt that was fine.

I just finished OW in April, and my experience must be different from most people's since I feel like I had good training. We're doing AOW this week, and have been practicing our OW skills when we dive for fun. Just a couple weeks ago, I was trying to get my husband's attention underwater, and the reg popped out of my mouth. Instead of freaking out, I just remembered my training, exhaled constantly, did the sweep to get it back, and went on about my business.

One thing I do feel is inadequate during training and in the diving community is under water communication. The hand signals needs expanding and standardizing across all agencies IMO.

dark_basic:

Ciao,
Collin

In the case of a real emergency the majority of your class WOULD panic and drown.

It takes several dives to provide the learning curve necessary to become a safe and reliable diver. Unfortunately, market conditions drive the retail stores to offer the least expensive training in order to successfully sell the equipment.

You should plan to take an AOW class as soon as you can, after you certify in OW1. This is especially true for PADI and any other agency or store that limits the OW1 course to only 4 open water dives.

There are many stores that require 6 to 8 dives for the OW1 course. Unfortunately they are becoming more rare all the time.

After your AOW (next) course, you should then be a very well trained beginning diver. At that point, a rescue class would then also be a great optional class to enhance your understand of the panic mechanism, as well as learn how to save both others and also yourself (called self-rescue, aka self-extrication from a really bad situation).

By the way, SSI does the air-shut off thing that you mentioned. And even so, it is controversial. And it could be hazardous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom