Incident Today at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
At the risk of sounding really off the wall:
Every time I go toward the tubes there is a particular spot where I get this horrible feeling, it feels like something really bad happened there. It doesn't matter if I'm following the road from the tower or if I go along the edge of the quarry and drop over the wall beyond the tubes then come toward the tower, that one spot always leaves me with that creepy, almost panic stricken feeling.
Ber :lilbunny:

dont think u are alone i get a strange feeling between the wreck and the tubes and i have ben all over that place.

one outher thing have any of u hung out at 90-100 on the wall and watch the fish swim inverted and sideways and i was not narced there was 5 of us that saw them and none of us would say any thing to each other becuse we thought we were narced untill we looked at the video i took

mbsdiver:
...watch the fish swim inverted and sideways

The effect is referred to as phototropsim, or reaction to light. Fish orient themselves using light from the surface. Illuminate a fish tank from the side and all of the fish will lean towards the light. At 90-100 feet along the wall, the fish will see the light at an angle (one eye is in shadow towards the dark wall, the other sees the lit surface). This will cause the fish to "lean" towards the sunlight in an attempt to restore their nomral visual field, i.e. equal light intensity in each eye. :profile:

LOL...I don't think Gilboa is haunted. :ghost: Those little feelings you get are the result of training and being aware of what you're doing. Now if any trout swim up and try to carry on a conversation...you should probably get some help!!

Has anybody seen the face on the deep side? ...it's just above the rock chimney, i.e. big rock stuck in a crack. Very cool...but freaky the way it stares back at you.

JBS-R2T

All those involved are in mythoughts.

There is such a range of diver ability, quality of instruction, not to mention the tendency for diver's gear to be poorly matched to the task, that running a dive operation is a risky business.

That being said, we the diver's must be responsible for our actions and decisions.

This is not the place to try and analyze decisions, but this is a time for us all to ask ourselves some questions about our diving and what WE need to do to keep our selves and our buddies safe.

pc

From the Gilboa website:

A press conference will be held at Gilboa Quarry on Friday Aug 3rd at 10am by the Sheriff's office. Mike is inviting instructors and experienced divers that might want to be on hand and possibly help answer questions from the media regarding the quarry, diving, and/or general dive safety to come on over and join in.

I wish I could be there to give moral support to Mike and the staff at the quary.

Gear Junkie:
LOL...I don't think Gilboa is haunted. :ghost: Those little feelings you get are the result of training and being aware of what you're doing.

It's probably some guy in a costume trying to scare everyone away so Mike will have to sell the place for cheap.

Now if we had a group of teenage detectives with a great dane and a VW bus... :D

Has anyone heard any further news as far as the cause of this incident? Was it a equipment malfunction, diver error, medical condition, etc.? Just curious
My condolences to the friends & family as well as to Mike & Jodie.

Has anyone seen any information from the Press Conference today. Some friends of mine took off work today to attend but I haven't spoken to them yet. Was wondering how it went.

Back
Top Bottom