Vessel Indo Siren Fire?

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Appreciate the thread notifying us of this. I was on that boat back in Dec. 2022; the crew did a fine job of briefing us on safety, including showing us ladders and ceiling hatches to get out of rooms below deck in case of fire. It was a really good trip and a treasured memory. I'll be interested to see when and if Master Fleets gets a replacement working that region.

Wonder how far into the current trip they were when it burned? In other words, I wonder how much diving the customers had an opportunity to do before the fire? It may seem like a small thing in the greater context, but the time, money and long flights ordeal getting to and from there (at least from the U.S.) is substantial.

Richard.

We are booked on that vessel in early January 2024. Trip leader has notified us of the fire and confirmed all guests and crew safe. Have no status on the vessel and or the trip as he will need to get details from Master Liveaboard. They lost the Palau Siren to a storm and fire some years ago.
Master mentioned in their statement they will be contacting all guests. Looks like the boat is lost unfortunately, but I'm sure they will try to get you on another so you can still go to Raja. Your group leader will no doubt hear shortly.

BTW Palau Siren still going strong. She launched in 2012, think there was a bit on the reef in 2016 but she was refloated and fixed. All good. Friends went on her in August 😉

I choose my boats very carefully these days. I will be going to Revillagigedos on the Nautilus Explorer in 2024 and back to Malpelo on the Ferox in 2025. I have been on both boats before.
Wow that's quite some statistic from the red sea! Though I do know that the Blue Melody is still in operation. So another thing to sort out would be the number of incidents in general and if they led to injury /loss of life/status of the vessel (lost or repaired)
I worked on hurricane in 2008, she was a good strong steel vessel. Very surprised she was lost and for the fatalities 😭

Sometimes I think we get blasé about travelling by liveaboard and forget there are additional risks involved. I've worked on several and had holidays on many more, so have seen my fair share of fires, engine breakdowns, guest illness in remote locations.

For me an important factor in choosing a liveaboard is the safety focus you as a guest are given. As Drrich2 mentioned he was aboard Indo Siren and given a thorough safety briefing, shown escape hatches (Siren boats have them in 6 of the 8 lower deck cabins). There are also life jacket drills and crew receive fire training. I think this preparedness has helped to ensure there were no injuries or loss of life. Sadly the crew, even with assistance from other vessels, were unable to contain the fire and had to abandon her for their own safety.

I've been on Nautilus Belle Amie and the briefings are thorough, life jackets very visible and the crew perform various emergency drills during the trip. Explorer had a fire during dry dock in 2016 so all the upper deck cabins had to be refitted.

I don't believe there is any conspiracy to hush up incidents, just companies not wishing to advertise the fact.

I'm booked onto Bahamas Master 2024 and Philippine Siren 2025.... Excited for both!

It's a global industry, such as it is, and presumably with zero interest in regulation of any sort. I expect every operator figures the next time could be their turn, and they all have a shared interest in perpetuating the impression--illusion?--that liveaboards are easy and safe. Other than passing interest in the general media, Scubaboard and Undercurrent are the two sources that I'm aware of. Perhaps there are others?

What a shame--the Siren appears to have been a beautiful boat.
I spoke with the owner of a vessel that is fully licensed to make international passage and SOLAS certified (unlike most liveaboards that are only certified to stay close to the coast near their base port) at DEMA. He told me he was disappointed nobody seemed interested in the safety aspects and only wanted to know the price. The customer base is to blame, for demanding low safety standards in exchange for low prices.

Wow that's quite some statistic from the red sea! Though I do know that the Blue Melody is still in operation. So another thing to sort out would be the number of incidents in general and if they led to injury /loss of life/status of the vessel (lost or repaired)
I worked on hurricane in 2008, she was a good strong steel vessel. Very surprised she was lost and for the fatalities 😭

Sometimes I think we get blasé about travelling by liveaboard and forget there are additional risks involved. I've worked on several and had holidays on many more, so have seen my fair share of fires, engine breakdowns, guest illness in remote locations.

For me an important factor in choosing a liveaboard is the safety focus you as a guest are given. As Drrich2 mentioned he was aboard Indo Siren and given a thorough safety briefing, shown escape hatches (Siren boats have them in 6 of the 8 lower deck cabins). There are also life jacket drills and crew receive fire training. I think this preparedness has helped to ensure there were no injuries or loss of life. Sadly the crew, even with assistance from other vessels, were unable to contain the fire and had to abandon her for their own safety.

I've been on Nautilus Belle Amie and the briefings are thorough, life jackets very visible and the crew perform various emergency drills during the trip. Explorer had a fire during dry dock in 2016 so all the upper deck cabins had to be refitted.

I don't believe there is any conspiracy to hush up incidents, just companies not wishing to advertise the fact.

I'm booked onto Bahamas Master 2024 and Philippine Siren 2025.... Excited for both!
There are more than 175 liveaboards registered to operate in Egypt's Red Sea so, statistically, it's less dangerous than anywhere else!

I spoke with the owner of a vessel that is fully licensed to make international passage and SOLAS certified (unlike most liveaboards that are only certified to stay close to the coast near their base port) at DEMA. He told me he was disappointed nobody seemed interested in the safety aspects and only wanted to know the price. The customer base is to blame, for demanding low safety standards in exchange for low prices.
Is he advertising on SB--and advertising the SOLAS certification? There seem to be many here who value safety. I would prefer more safety measures over some of the silly "luxury" amenities I have encountered.

I actually think it’s more that customers don’t fully understand that the low prices they demand can result in lower safety standards. It’s the same result and root issue in the end, but the context is a bit different. I’ve never seen anyone directly demand low safety standards.

In the near immediate aftermath of the Conception fire, the customers on the Red Sea Aggressor were very much concerned about fire safety, and it was a major part of the discussion during the introductory meeting. The crew emphasized that they understood the concern and assured them that all safety precautions would be carefully observed.

The boat caught fire not that long after that meeting. Despite their assurances that they would always have a night watch, the entire crew was sound asleep. Fortunately, one of the crew members was sleeping on a mattress lying on top of the escape hatch, so he was awakened when his sleep was rudely disrupted by the passengers trying to open the hatch to escape the fire.

So, how much extra money should the passengers be willing to pay to have a night watch and have the crew not sleeping on top of the escape hatch?

So, how much extra money should the passengers be willing to pay to have a night watch and have the crew not sleeping on top of the escape hatch?
Great question. I would like to see a SOLAS-certified liveboard explain exactly what the certification entails and therefore why the trip cost carries a premium.

Certification or not, your safety largely hinges on whether the crew has the knowledge, skills, training and equipment to effectively respond to an emergency. That plus the overall engagement and commitment by the operator sets the tone for each trip...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom