Indonesia Flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harry Kreigh

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the domestic carriers (Garuda, Merpati, etc.) charge for excess baggage?

Thanks,
Harry

Garuda has a dive gear allowance. Just flew from Manado to Bali with 48kg checked baggage at NO charge. Merpati will charge but no sure of the rate/kg.

From Garuda website FAQ:

(?)What’s the Free Baggage Allowance limit at Garuda ?
(+) Sector Class Free Bag Allowance Domestic Executive (C) 40 kg Economy (Y) 30 kg International Executive (C) 30 kg Economy (Y) 20 kg For Jakarta - Singapore vv Executive (C) 40 kg Economy (Y) 30 kg

(?)How much do I need to pay for excess baggage allowance?
(+) The excess baggage formula for international & domestic services are: 1.5% of the normal direct adult one-way Economy Class through Normal Fare

I will be testing it soon. On previous trips to Indonesia, I have flown big planes to major locations and driven to the resorts.
On the trip I'm soon taking, I WILL be paying overweight. I have been warned. I was told to expect between 25.00 to 50.00 since the plane is a "puddle jumper". I was also told that it is often subject to negotiation ie; bargain it down (without being harsh).

Allison,
Many thing in Indonesia can be negotiated; you can save a lot money and "they" are happy too. The money may not go the company / gov. instead to their pocket.
I stop practicing this behaviour and will suggest other to do so or at least be more selective.
In case of overweight - if the plane is not full; may not really a problem or even you may not have to pay the overweight. But, if the plane is full, this practice can be fatal if they agree to negotiate since they may hide the overweight.
There's strong evidence many transportation (land, sea or air) in Indonesia due to overload.

So, you are saying just pay the overweight instead of trying to negotiate a better rate? Well, either way the bags are onboard and, therefore, contributing to the weight of the plane. So, what's the difference?

All my travels to PNG and Indonesia and Malaysia has shown that bargaining is simply the normal way to do things and part of the experience of traveling there. It never hurts to try.

What worry me if the money goes to their pocket and then they manipulate the weight; so the total weight is less than the actual.
I agree with you that bargaining is more like a habit in Indonesia. I know and very familiar with this practice - not only with overwight bagage - many more. Just be selective and care.
So, make sure you get the official receipt w/ correct weight.

here's reliable info on the following air carriers;

garuda indonesia: checked luggage: domestic 30kg/66lbs, international 20kg/44lbs
lion air: checked/carryon: 35kg/77lbs
merpati nusantara: checked luggage: 20kg/44lbs carryon: 5kg/11lbs 9.2"x14.4"x22.4"
silkair: checked luggage: 32kg/70lbs 2 pieces(107 linear inches) carryon: 7kg/15lbs 1 piece plus personal item(46 linear)

the above limitations are based on economy class tickets,,,,,,,,,,,,,
lion air and merapati both service sorong(raja ampat intineraries)

reefman
key largo

reefman,
I always violate the carry-on weight restrictions with my camera gear. I have become "practised" making this bag appear light when I heft it into the bin (gee, I don't know how I got those hernias).
I am thinking Silkair will figure it out. They've seen it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom