indonesia vs. malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, this is great information from everyone! now i have even more research to do...but i definitely prefer "real people's" experience to what the websites say (since every website declares itself to have "the best diving in asia"!)
thanks again, and i welcome anymore advice! i am very happy to have stumbled upon scubaboard....

I should make clear about my post on SEA diving. Sipadan's big schools are "memory for many" but they still do occur, just "not seen all that often". For a lot of time, they usually stay in smaller schools of 00s.
As for the whaleshark sightings comment, Lankayan ( for Scren who must've gone to their website) claims whalesharks visit them regularly in March. It was a 1 time occurrence as was Mataking.
Zippsy re: Ambon: yes there is still some muslim vs christian unrest on the island. But how does that affect a liveaboard diving in the pinnacles offshore? That said, you'd be hardpressed to find a liveaboard crew who will go near Ambon. Many of the indonesia liveaboard crew are Ambonese and WILL NOT go near ambon. They'd rather mutiny. There are 1 or 2 boats who'd do it. As for security for Americans in Indo: I have this to say: There is a relatively large american expat population in Bali ( I being one of them, when I'm there) who live quite happily and safely. If anyone is concerned about their safety, then they should avoid the area. No one should go on holiday and have to worry about being bombed, kidnapped or anything else bad unless of course they are naturally worry-warts :) The active words are risk aversion factor and perceived risk vs actual risk.
Frogfish: I personally would not spend money going to Wakatobi the resort. Their diving practices, accomodations, facilities and food are not worth the money. Better to go by liveaboard to Tukang Besi Islands and the Take Bone Rate archipelago. It's very easy to run from Komodo to Tukang Besi from Labuhan Bajo.
Comparing Sipadan and Bunaken, you also have to look at the larger picture. Doing Bunaken alone, during Sept - Dec, you have a very small chance to see Sperm whales or orcas, but they are there. There are sites in nearby Bangka Islands which rival the macro of Mabul. The soft corals of Bangka Island are much better than anything Sipadan has to offer. But Sipadan definitely has the bigger schools of fish and of course the turtles.
I compare Sangalaki to Sipadan because of their proximity to each other and also the similarities. Of course Sangalaki has the jelly fish lake and super lagoon drift dives like Palau and the mantas like Yap as well as nice caverns (vs turtle cave in Sipadan)
Scren, decide what type of diving you like. Pelagics are better had elsewhere than the Indo Pacific area. Indiscriminate fishing has wiped out a lot of areas. Since you want to do land based activities, then Sabah would suit your needs nicely. Zippsy mentioned a few things, Sepilok Orangutan reserve, the probis monkeys off Sempoerna and of course the islands are all wonderful.
As would doing Komodo and then relaxing in Bali and their numerous spas, a short flight to Borobudur for a wonderful day of temples (and definitely run to the Sheraton jogjarkarta for a break at the spa). There are numerous treks to be done in Lombok (trekking up Rimjani) as well. Then you can dive the Nusa Islands for Mola Mola(Sunfish too).
I'd do them all (and I have) :)

zippsy - you didnt warn him to look out for the Indonesian navy if going on a LOB!!

Were you with us when we got kidnaped and held ransome by them on the WM? I dont recall.

I do recall two boat loads of very worried americans! Its rare - but there are a lot of pirates in Indon waters....the navy being the best armed of them.

ok the guy in the fatigues with the Ak smoking next to the Oxygen was a bit intense but i couldn't take seriously the guy wearing the purple shell suit who seemed to be in charge of them all.

Ah- you have all just reminded me of my indonesian diving trip- what memories.....can I come back now?

That is interesting. I've been on quite a few liveboards going along the Sunda Islands. I have run into a few navy patrol boats but mostly the Komodo national park boats. Never been boarded. I will say we were approached once by a fishing boat with no nets and a woman with a walkie talkie,2 guys standing behind boxes and the 3rd guy asking if we'd seen a boat fitting a certain description. Had a former seal guy dodging in the back with the pony bottle and his LARGE knife ready for action. It was more hilarious than dangerous. But there ARE pirates in Indonesian, Philippine and Malaysian waters.

DrMike:
zippsy - you didnt warn him to look out for the Indonesian navy if going on a LOB!!

Were you with us when we got kidnaped and held ransome by them on the WM? I dont recall.

I do recall two boat loads of very worried americans! Its rare - but there are a lot of pirates in Indon waters....the navy being the best armed of them.

Hi DrMike,

I think we met in MW last year to Kuantan wrack, right?

I am planning to do LOB in Indonesia but was quite concern with the piracy there, esp their navy/police. Irian Jaya and Komodo had been in my list for a while and hope to catch them before the reefs are gone as in Sipadan.

scubashooter,

I do share your view. Personally, I would choose Indonesia over Malaysia, and no more Sipadan as it is over rated. Sipadan and Sangalaki “share” the same water but the later should be better as she is still quite “untouched”.

scubashooter is right:
personally would not spend money going to Wakatobi the resort. Their diving practices, accomodations, facilities and food are not worth the money. Better to go by liveaboard to Tukang Besi Islands and the Take Bone Rate archipelago. It's very easy to run from Komodo to Tukang Besi from Labuhan Bajo.[/I]

I went to Wakatobi last year and was VERY dissappointed - In 15 years of live aboards and dive resorts it was the absolute worst. The diving groups are far too large (more than 10 divers per guide), UW photographers are placed in cattle lines having to wait until all non-photogs had scared the subjects before allowed to shoot, and the 35 year old owner, Lorenz Maeder, has no intention of making your dive holiday the best it could be, he has his own dive agenda.

There was some fantastic diving at the off-shore reef fringing the island 4 Km away but we only got to do that once per day as their antique Indonesian "fishing style" cattle boats are so old and slow each they couldn't make it. The boats holds 15+ divers with 2 divemasters and 3 crew.

The compressor delivered bad air and several got headaches, with the white ceramic filter on my first stage (new ATX200 regulator w/3 dives prior to trip) accumulating a dark brown staining. No Nitrox was available, most probably because that requires a higher grade of clean air.

The websiite is WAY over-hyped, at $250.00 per day, we had to handle our own gear far too much on the shore dives. Come up after a night shore dive and there is no one to assist you.

If you have seen their website, the house reef is touted as "The Best in the world" obviously stabbing at the Sipadan market.
The Truth that they don't tell you on the website is that the house reef has only two places permitted for entrance/exit - the dock and the point 100 feet away. With currents flowing fast during our trip this made for a 10 minute dive. Water taxis to be dropped further up the reef were available for one trip in the afternoon, but had to be scheduled early in the day and they were not flexible - we were denied this service on several occasions.

All in our group but 2 got diarhea, there was no air conditioning and the web site claimed the cool breeze off the water made A/C unnecessary - many nights several found it difficult to sleep because of the heat.

The resort is adjacent to a brackish water swamp and there are numerous mosquitos, insects and rats despite what the website claims.

Far too much repetition in the diving to make it worth while and the trips are from 10-14 days long - more than twice as long as the diving variety can sustain. We dove several places more than 4 times due to the quantity of diving sites or the sluggish ability of the old boats

Ouch !!! Sorry to hear that you had such a bad time at Wakatobi - Maybe you ere just plain unlucky ? I have friends who loved it

scubashooter,

I do share your view. Personally, I would choose Indonesia over Malaysia, and no more Sipadan as it is over rated. Sipadan and Sangalaki “share” the same water but the later should be better as she is still quite “untouched”.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...don't forget South China Sea waters. Perhentian Islands, Lang Tengah Islands, Tioman Islands and also Redang Islands,..I've seen huge hawksbill turtle in Perhentian Islands dive sites last year. And all are in Malaysia.
There might be a 'virgin' sites too.

Back
Top Bottom