indonesia vs. malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhentian, Lang Tengah, Tioman are better than Sipadan, huh? This is truly news to me if you are really saying that. Sipadan over-rated? Sure. It's not really a 10 anymore. It's only a 9 1/2. Sheesh.

anemone:
scubashooter,

I do share your view. Personally, I would choose Indonesia over Malaysia, and no more Sipadan as it is over rated. Sipadan and Sangalaki “share” the same water but the later should be better as she is still quite “untouched”.

Hmm...don't forget South China Sea waters. Perhentian Islands, Lang Tengah Islands, Tioman Islands and also Redang Islands,..I've seen huge hawksbill turtle in Perhentian Islands dive sites last year. And all are in Malaysia.
There might be a 'virgin' sites too.[/QUOTE]

Sangalaki is good but its a bit like comparing Mutton to Beef, they are both meat but quite different tastes. Sangalaki is relaitvle shallow sandy bottom with lots of mantas, sipadan is steep walls with sharks and turtles. You saw a huge turtle in perhentian wow, i went to sipadan during a period of lousy viz (IMHO) and still saw stacks of Huge turtles

So what does 'Sipadan' over rated mean ???
- For macro, Kapalai and Mabul are definitively world class and rival Lembeh to a certain extent
- Sipadan is all about lots of turtles white-tips huge humpheads, barracudas and any other big fish you can dream of seeing if you are lucky...
If you know what to epect would definitely not say it is overated...

Just one thing to note if you plan to head to Indonesia, remember since Feb 1st they now have the new visa regulations in place and whereas certain nationalities can pay for a visa on arrival, others arriving without one will be sent back on the next flight or boat. So best check that everyone in your party has a visa before travel or qualifies to buy one when they arrive. Have a look at http://www.north-sulawesi.org/visa.html for more info, it applies to all of Indonesia

To me it sounds like city folk want some pampering while diving. Do not really want to rough it out.
If you go to places like Sipadan or Sipadan, you have to be able to rough it out a bit. The place is not run like a 5 star hotel.

If you like that kind of treatment while diving, then Bali is the place. Yes, the bombing really did occur there, but Bali is a huge island with a few volcanoes on it. It almost like saying the LA riots had an effect on Bakersfield.

The Bali dive sites are not near the tourist spots like Kuta and Legian. They are much further away, about 2.5 to 3 hours drive if you go north. They are nestled in tiny friendly fishing villages. You definately do not have to rough it out. For example the Mimpi Resorts in Tulamben or Menjangan. There is also the super luxurious resort in Nusa Lembongan.
http://www.mimpi.com/
http://www.nusa-lembongan.com/about.html

If you are concerned about security, stay away from the crowded hot spots. The local Balinese are Hindus who live in the villages NOT muslims.

In terms of Manado, most are Catholic. Lembeh is definately far far away from it all.

The point is stay away from the crowds, and you most probably will remain out of harms way.

I also know the mountains in Bali are very scenic and cool.

Manado mountains I am told are very nice too, but have not been there.

Mount Kinabalu is also nice.

By the way, have you thought about Layang Layang off the coast of Sabah Malaysia. Quite civilized and well organized diving. It is located right next to the naval base, so it is safe too.

Generally I do the land tours at the end of the trip, and pick some place cool after being baked and fried in the sun.

Komodo offers both magnificent underwater life and the fame fossil lizard in land. The best time to visit there is during September to November when you have opportunity to see manta ray aggregation and the other site grouper spawning season. Some liveaboard can arrange from Bali otherwise local operators for daily trip also avaiable in Labuan Bajo, Flores.
Please see http://www.komodonationalpark.org where you can see how the area manage by multistakeholder.

Hey..i just came back from a new diving resort in Mataking, and its great!!! (check out www.mataking.com) Had a few dives in Sipidan and its splendid as well. Many sharks, turtles and schools of fishes. But i recomment Mataking as the accomodation and diving is good. Its more comfortable then then accomodations in Sipidan. However, if price is not an issue then go to Mabul, Sipidan water village. Beautiful and perfect place for great diving.

How was the Mataking house reef? Mainly for macro/muck?

Is there a pier? Has anything grown on the pier?

How about visibility around Mataking?

Since it is a new resort, how was the service in terms of resort and diving?

Never been there, so asking all these questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom