Inexpensive dive trip advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've just gotten out of grad. school, and will start my new job in Qatar in September or so, so I was thinking it would be fun to treat myself and go on a week's diving vacation somewhere nice, but relatively inexpensive.

I've been to Cozumel, and would go back in an instant. But as I have no real plans to ever return to the States for this long again, I was thinking it could be fun to go somewhere I've not been. I've not been anywhere in the Caribbean. I know I could pack up the car and go to SoCal or out to Seattle and enjoy diving (Seattle being much closer), but I'd kind of like to get out of the States too. Also, most of my gear is set up for tropical diving, and with relocating to tropical-type diving, I'd rather not invest in a lot of cold water stuff. Although I do think Seattle is my fall-back destination at this point.

I'm looking to spend perhaps $1500 or so, and I've found Cozumel all-inclusives which would fall within my price range (it's the flight that kills the price, I'm in Montana), but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a similarly-priced destination. Would the Florida Keys be comparable, or BVI?

Any advice or recommendations would be most welcome!

Do Bonaire Stay with Liz all the dives you want and you will have cash left over from $1,500.

The Florida Keys are a good value but the reefs are not nearly as nice as Cozumel (IMHO). There are some great wrecks in the keys and some nice shallow reefs. I used to be stationed in Washington before I was a diver but I have heard the diving in the Puget Sound is pretty good. If you want to research on the internet I have read lots of GREAT things about diving Vancouver, BC. The water is obviously cold but I've read it is some of the best diving anywhere. It takes about 2-3 hours, if I remember correctly, to drive to BC from Seatlle.

Went to Bonaire for a week earlier this year for 1395.

For the value and the amount of diving, you can't beat it.

Oscar

If you want to do 20-25 dives, including several night dives and an awesome shark dive, look into Blackbeard liveaboards. No luxury, it's like camping at sea, but the diving is awesome. Diving is done around the Bimini Islands, The Bahamas. You'll have money leftover from your $1,500.

Mmm! Yeah, I've thought about a liveaboard as well. I may start checking into that, as my purpose for going on holiday is to dive. Cozumel has some wonderful resorts, and the all-inclusive is fun, but I got the impression from my time at El Cozumeleno, and using the on-site shop (Scuba Du, nice enough people, don't get me wrong) that the diving is kind of geared more for casual tourists who want to dive once, twice, then get back to the drinks. Don't get me wrong, I love the drinks too, but, well, I want to dive.

I'm inspired now--I think a liveaboard would be fun. Luxury... don't really need. I'm a backpacker at heart.

Will get the magazines back out and flip through. Problem is there are so many places to choose from :) I'd love to go to Belize, or Bonaire, or just about anywhere tropical would suit me.

The boat dives were about $15-$20 a dive. Great reef - same one as Belize. I think our hotel was about $65 a night. There are also quite a few all-inclusive type places. I've heard a lot of good things about CocoView.

If you REALLY want to just dive, Bonaire is your best bet! You dive at your pace, when you want, where you want.....Bonaire is know for it's "Diving Freedom".

Liz

Yep, I'd say there are literally a heap of places I can go. I just have to find a decently-priced flight. I've got some miles built up, so perhaps I can take advantage of those.

Have you all found that pricing things through Orbitz/Travelocity, or a travel agent, is cheaper? Just curious.

You could do an all inclusive week at Fantasy Island in Roatan with air included and meet your budget target.

Back
Top Bottom