Inflatable beach launching in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neofish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

I just bought a small inflatable sportboat. she's got a small 3.5 motor, but i want to launch off the beach to hit far out kelp paddies or palos verdes wrecks. Any tips, places to launch, recommendations, or anything I can know? Thanks!

From the LA County Beach website: WatchTheWater.co.la.ca.us

Q: Can I launch my jet ski or boat from the beach? Can I bring them onto the beach by entering through the surf line?

A: No and No. Any craft that is not suitable for common use in the surf, i.e. other than surfboards, body boards, surf skis and kayaks, must remain a minimum of 300 yards off shore at all times. During times of very heavy surf, it may be advisable to remain even farther off shore. Motorized craft may not be launched from any Los Angeles County Beach nor can they be inside the 300 yard limit at any time. Boats and jet skis can be launched from Los Angeles County facilities that posses boat launching ramps like Cabrillo Beach, Redondo Beach and Marina del Rey.

From the Cabrillo or Redondo Boat Ramps you should be able to get to most spots on PV.

A 3.5 HP motor will not be strong enough to move an inflatable with a diver and gear, let alone two on the ocean.

I agree, I definitely would recommend a larger engine, at least a 15hp, to push divers and gear.

Hi guys,

I just bought a small inflatable sportboat. she's got a small 3.5 motor, but i want to launch off the beach to hit far out kelp paddies or palos verdes wrecks. Any tips, places to launch, recommendations, or anything I can know? Thanks!

My buddy and I used to have a 12' inflatable with a 25 hp Yamaha, and we would hand launch it down on the Balboa Peninsula all the time. My buddy rigged up some wheels for the back and we took it down to j street or i street (cant remember which), and would just roll it through the sand to launch it. This was a great set up for 2-3 divers, and we would dive all throughout Corona Del Mar and Laguna on this.

Hope this helps, I know you were asking more about LA area though, which I know very little about.

Brian

I've run 4 divers and gear in an Achilles with a 2.2 motor. Not very fast, mind you, but it got us there and back.

Thanks for the replies guys! I know a few secluded spots in Malibu to launch a boat with a 1ft surf height and maybe a 3ft surf zone...

My buddy and I will be able to carry the boat past the waves before even getting it...and hardly wet! We're only going to use it on glassy days...when we're not surfing ha-ha!

Dude... did you not see the post above that said it wasn't allowed?

Well, my report:

Santa Barbara beach launching. 1ft surf in a 3ft break zone. It was cake. The hardest part was carrying the boat down the steps to the beach. Other than that, we pushed out through 2 waves that were 1ft high and then we were fine. SANTA BARBARA...I don't see WHY I am not allowed to launch with nobody within 1 mile of me from the spot I know in Malibu. What gives? I see anchored pleasure boats closer than 300 yards to shore fishing in the kelp.

Back
Top Bottom