Inflator style Alt Air...do you love yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The original AIR2 hose is dual purpose and made of 2 parts: the AIR2 end of the hose has a standard female thread, same as a second stage hose, plus a screw-in AIR2 specific piece. If you look real hard into your closet, I'm sure you'll find, like me, the same screw-in pieces for regular inflators. So the same hose is good for both standard inflators and AIR2's.

With that said, the AIR2 and its hose are pretty much unbreakable. The only issue I've ever had is a dried out o-ring in the hose that's easy to replace.

Edit

If digging into the closet is too big of a deal, Trident sells these parts:
  • A139: reg hose to AIR2
  • AA41: reg hose to inflator

Some Air2 hoses are std LP hoses with an Air2 connector screwed in to the end, others have the Air2 connector crimped on to the end of the hose and are not readily removable. There is an adapter to convert an Air2 hose connector to an std LPI connector. Going in that direction, there is no issue with flow capacity.

D_B,

Please note that most dive shops techs neglect to service the LP inflator hose connection for the AirII. You need to make a point of telling them to service it. The whole thing won't take 15 minutes for the hose connection at the most (provided they don't drop one of the ball bearings on the floor). They also need to make sure to replace the O'ring.

Yes, the Air2 service kit includes the washer shaped seal that seals the hose closed when it is not connected and seal the connection when installed on the Air2. O-ring is only required if the Air2 connector is screwed onto a std LP hose.

Some Air2 hoses are std LP hoses with an Air2 connector screwed in to the end, others have the Air2 connector crimped on to the end of the hose and are not readily removable. There is an adapter to convert an Air2 hose connector to an std LPI connector. Going in that direction, there is no issue with flow capacity.

You mean the bean counters strike again? All my 4 AIR2 hoses are like this, and they're from the mid-nineties.

Attachments

• AIR2-Hose-s.jpg
    AIR2-Hose-s.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 40
You mean the bean counters strike again? All my 4 AIR2 hoses are like this, and they're from the mid-nineties.

The two that we bought new in 1994 were one piece. I have managed to accumulate a few like yours over the years. The part # for the 1 piece hose assembly is 01-380-028.

Never tried one but was wondering is it possible to dump air out of your BC with this thing still in your mouth so you don't jerk the primary out of the mouth of the person in distress?

Never tried one but was wondering is it possible to dump air out of your BC with this thing still in your mouth so you don't jerk the primary out of the mouth of the person in distress?

Yes, you can. But it may take a little practice to do it comfortably unless you have a Scubapro BCD. The Scubapro BCD has a right shoulder pull dump so it is not an issue. With other BCDs, practice makes it fairly easy.

When diving the Diamond Knot, I set anchor and my wife was no where to be found. I searched in 40' vis and went up, hanging on surface to rope the current was kicking, seen bubbles. I went down following bubbles and kicked like hell to get to her. At 125' she had 500 psi, I had a 1000 left, I grabbed her hand and took her to the anchor line and did ascend up the line to 60' then she had 250 psi. I put air2 in and knew I had to release in drysuit also. Now I decided I would release air through my mouth, or would grab hose and pull to release dump. It dumped air just fine and I breathed just fine.

When you love scuba pro and dont know why, well I do they made a change in the air2, I had 6 air2's (now 3, she got half of them) from years ago, and got new genertion each time.

The new air2 will dump air in bladder while you breathe off of it.

A few years ago I was diving a reef with lings on eggs, I seen a few, I am in like 25' of water and was taking a breath when I got hit and my reg come out of my mouth, I choked on sea water as I was grabbing my air2 Instantly, (all while saying WTF I am going to drowned in 25') that being said with it so close to me I was able to cough it out while this ling was charging me and ramming me. When I surfaced I ran into this old diver, he said its been on attack.

The old guy became a dive buddy for awhile, I took him on some dives on boat and we shore dived, he is one of the best buddy's I have had. He is doing a life story and now I feel a bit foolish as thought I had experience on the water, as it turns out he did way more in the diving world than one can Imagine. And his seamanship was way out of my league. 20 years older than I and he would do what you wanted him to do, yet he knew so much more.

So the air2 is a savior and a memory I'll take to the bottom of the ocean with.

Happy Diving

awap is correct the shoulder dump is the best way to use air2, I have a beuchat bc with shoulder dump also. I put the air2 on my single tank bp/w also and it is like I said in previous post.

Happy Diving

Correct, burhan, we also thought it woud be good to get a long hose on all our primary reg sets, cause of a tight and kickin current on the way to the surface.

Happy Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom