Inflator style Alt Air...do you love yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...while sucking on that thing while someone was using my primary. Maybe I am missing something here.

Could you please be more precise and tell us what you are going to be sucking on for us to be able to maybe help you?

I got the std inflator/deflator hose that attaches to my left shoulder and can't figure out how i would adjust my boyancy while sucking on that thing while someone was using my primary. Maybe I am missing something here.

You can add air to the BC and breath at the same time.

For dumping air from your BCD, you have a number of options. One is use another dump valve - most BCD have 2 or 3 valves for dumping air. Another is to remove your regulator from your mouth and dump air as needed. Or, you can hit the manual button and dump air as you exhale (inhale may get you some nasty air). This only works if you have a lot of air in your BCD. Finally, if you have a left shoulder pull dump, you can leave the octo/inflator in your mouth and pull the corrugated hose to dump air. This one probably takes the most practice.

The joke about "saving hoses" what a crock. I dive / teach with both and really do dis-like the air-2.
Remember the mass majority of divers were taught / use Octos and in a pinch go for that first.
39 years of diving say that to me.

I got the std inflator/deflator hose that attaches to my left shoulder and can't figure out how i would adjust my boyancy while sucking on that thing while someone was using my primary. Maybe I am missing something here.

It's probably because the standard inflator/deflator hose isn't designed for being breathed through and controlled like the inline octo?

I don't have one of those fancy BCs with all the different dump options so if I want to dump air I would have to take that secondary air source/dump valve/ inflator out of my mouth while someone is yanking on my primary all during a 1-3 knot current in say cozumel with an up or down draft current at night? Sorry, but I just can't see myself doing that. However, if I just handed my octopus to the distressed diver it would not be that much of a big deal now would it?

I don't have one of those fancy BCs with all the different dump options so if I want to dump air I would have to take that secondary air source/dump valve/ inflator out of my mouth while someone is yanking on my primary all during a 1-3 knot current in say cozumel with an up or down draft current at night? Sorry, but I just can't see myself doing that. However, if I just handed my octopus to the distressed diver it would not be that much of a big deal now would it?

You mean that the ONLY way for you to get air out of your BC is through the inflator hose? There is no other dump anywhere else on your BC at all?

If your equipment and skills are limited, I guess your choices must be also. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a basic style BCD and a standard octopus. People have been diving them for years. But you really should not count on a distressed diver going for your octo rather than that bubbling primary. I would never expect an OOA incident to "not be that much of a big deal". If it does prove to be, then great.

BTW, it is possible to add a rear dump valve to a BCD if you wanted one.

I like my Air 2. I find it especially useful because I wear a pony bottle. I have a second stage on a necklace from the pony bottle. I have ZERO desire to run three second stages (due to potential confusion issues), so for me, the Air 2 makes sense.

They are pretty reliable and I also think they are safer in one respect: One of the most common scuba failures is a self inflating BC. If this occurs with a standard inflator it is sometimes tough to disconnect the hose from the inflator.

Since the Air 2 has a totally different fitting that is much large and easier to maunipulate, it is easy to disconnect underwater..much, much easier

The only reason I use one is that I really like the controls on it better than the standard inflater. It is not comfortable to breathe from and doesn't breath well. But, if I was going to be using it, it would be to surface immediately so that doesn't bother me. Just my thought.

Since the Air 2 has a totally different fitting that is much large and easier to maunipulate, it is easy to disconnect underwater..much, much easier

You know I had never thought about that but you're right. It's very easy to disconnect isn't it. Very good point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom