Innovation in diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We actually dive caves here and the shops cater to cave diving, using rental gear is quite common. The only thing "101" here is you and your risk management techniques.

I would not use rental gear like a rental dive light or a rental regulator... in a cave dive.

Not safe in my current risk assessment.

I'd rather not dive than do what Tony did.

I'm not sure what sort of "teams" you are used to diving with but here it is not common to get separated from the them. You may want to consider that they are trying to send you a message if this is common place on your dives.

Not uncommon and on at least one occasion it led to a fatality (only "partly" discussed here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas/241254-austin-diver-dies-after-cave-diving-incident.html ).

Oh and don't drag the Marine Corps into this. There are only so many things you are unqualified to discuss in one conversation.

Tony is a 20 year USMC Sergeant (he says). If he'd stick to some of his USMC training, it might make him a better cave diver.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 06:40 AM ----------

Holy Crap! This thread is still going on?
I gotta say, I'm a bit saddened that I lost my old laptop. I had a script written that would delete every word on my screen that came from Gianiamaimanianinani. For some reason, on this window's 7, I can't get it to work. I miss that.

With that said, (and I'm going to be very careful here as to not break any rules by talking about a group of dolphins and NOT a group of people) have you ever met a group of dolphins where most of them are swimming along just fine, but one dolphin in the middle is a real dillhole? That dillhole is starved for attention, can't get along with other dolphins, and quite frankly, no other dolphin would ever knowingly swim with said dillhole. Dillhole Dolphin has no choice but to fabricate stories of swimming blue oceans because he's so unloved. Sadly, these stories are often so fantastical that every other dolphin knows they are a load of whale shiitt. You see, the other 30 dolphins have ACTUALLY swam all these blue oceans. So when Dillhole Dolphin talks about the ocean temperature, terrain of the sea floor and the creatures of the see, it's clearly evident that Dillhole Dolphin is lying. This simply perpetuates the problem and ensures that Dillhole Dolphin will NEVER be accepted as one of the group, and will be laughed at and mocked until the day he dies.... all alone. It's a sad life, but Dillhole Dolphin has created it and perpetuates it with every story of the cave.... err I mean sea.

At any rate, don't waste your time. The true dolphins of the sea know this guy for his bs, (gah, I mean Dillhole Dolphin) for his fanciful stories and are not fooled by the lies. Move on people, there's nothing to see here.

You, are full of it. You guessed. This isn't experience talking this is bravado in imagination land. You, in my opinion are a hack.

I've got nothing else for you but I will be SURE to interject in any other nonsense you create in the future. Best of luck with your book.

According to U.S. Legal Definitions, Cyber-bullying could be limited to posting rumors or gossips about a person in the internet bringing about hatred in other’s minds; or it may go to the extent of personally identifying victims and publishing materials severely defaming and humiliating them.

Last edited:
According to U.S. Legal Definitions, Cyber-bullying could be limited to posting rumors or gossips about a person in the internet bringing about hatred in other’s minds; or it may go to the extent of personally identifying victims and publishing materials severely defaming and humiliating them.

Universal definition.

sniv·el (snĭv′əl)intr.v. sniv·eled or sniv·elled, sniv·el·ing or sniv·el·ling, sniv·els1. To sniffle.
2. To complain or whine tearfully.
3. To run at the nose.

n.1. The act of sniffling or sniveling.
2. Nasal mucus.

[Middle English snivelen, from Old English *snyflan.]

Universal definition.

sniv·el(snĭv′əl)intr.v. sniv·eled or sniv·elled, sniv·el·ing or sniv·el·ling, sniv·els1. To sniffle.
2. To complain or whine tearfully.
3. To run at the nose.

n.1. The act of sniffling or sniveling.
2. Nasal mucus.

[Middle English snivelen, from Old English *snyflan.]

Get off my back. You have been politely warned.

Equally, it is a free world and if you have something to contribute to an open and democratic discussion, go ahead, without insulting me.

I am not a liar and will not take kindly to your or anybody else making innuendos or suggestions to that effect.

Amazing.

I would not use rental gear like a rental dive light or a rental regulator... in a cave dive.

I did a dive with rental tanks, rental regs, and a rental primary light (with no backup primary). It was the longest cave dive I had done at that point, and I still consider it my most aggressive dive. I was 100% certain the equipment would be fine. My reg had an issue and I didn't have time to fix it to finish the class. My primary was dying due to a charger issue. I picked up two fantastic replacements....they just happened to be rentals. I've also done multiple dives with a rental computer. If Edd had a rental drysuit that fit, I'd be more than happy to strap on a rental of EVERY piece of gear (maybe not a condom catheter :D) on me and go do a dive. Tanks, regs, mask, fins, BCD, lights, reel, spools, etc.

The equipment that I'd rent is practically Edd's personal gear. It gets cared for as well or better than my personal gear. It's all gone on dives MUCH bigger than anything I could conceive of. So, it might be a geographic thing.....but renting a light isn't an issue in FL.

I did a dive with rental tanks, rental regs, and a rental primary light (with no backup primary). It was the longest cave dive I had done at that point, and I still consider it my most aggressive dive. I was 100% certain the equipment would be fine. My reg had an issue and I didn't have time to fix it to finish the class. My primary was dying due to a charger issue. I picked up two fantastic replacements....they just happened to be rentals. I've also done multiple dives with a rental computer. If Edd had a rental drysuit that fit, I'd be more than happy to strap on a rental of EVERY piece of gear (maybe not a condom catheter :D) on me and go do a dive. Tanks, regs, mask, fins, BCD, lights, reel, spools, etc.

The equipment that I'd rent is practically Edd's personal gear. It gets cared for as well or better than my personal gear. It's all gone on dives MUCH bigger than anything I could conceive of. So, it might be a geographic thing.....but renting a light isn't an issue in FL.

Cave diving with rental dive lights and regs. promoted as best practice by NACD and NSS-CDS in your neck of the woods?

No. You're putting words in my mouth. That isn't even CLOSE to what I said.

Did Tony violate NACD and/or NSS-CDS best practice that dive that day?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom