Inon D 180 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CD....you can NOT use the D-180's with the Tetra. On my clear PT-15 housing, the mask is on the camera and the optic connection is connected to the outside of the housing. The infrered light has to travel through the clear housing.

You aren't stuck with the Ikelites. I'm pretty sure the Z-220 can be connected via a hotwire sync cord. ReyeR uses them and he can tell you for sure.

chickdiver:
I'm currently looking at strobes- and I have a query for those using the Inon D-180. The only strobe options I have are the Inon or the Ikelite 200 or 400 series (I need a depth rating greater than 200'). I've spoken with both Backscatter and Marine Camera today, and they discouraged the Inon, since it would have to be used in manual mode...

Assuming you told them that you have a C5050 in an LMI Tetra 5050 that is pretty poor advice from the vendors as they should know that the Tetra housing is opaque and the D-180 only works optically (no sync cord).
I don't have the Tetra or the Z220 but this is what I can advise:
The Inon Z220 isn't listed on the LMI site as a compatible strobe (ROC TTL or Manual) but it could be that the list is not updated. It will be worth contacting them and asking about it - will it work in TTL and/or Manual?
Other thing you might want to check is if the focus light on the Z220 will work with the Tetra. If not you might be better of getting the Z220s which doesn't have the focus light / target laser.
I'm pretty sure it'll fit but it is worth confirming that the Z220's sync cord will fit on the Tetra's bulkhead (the Z220 uses a Sea and Sea 5-pin sync cord type N ).

If it can be connected up you'll have a very sweet setup there - I will be envious :greenange . Please let us know how you go.

Hello,
ReyeR is correct. Best Inon strobe for your setup would be Z-220S model as the Z-220 Focus Light and Target Laser do not work with the C-5050 camera.
The Tetra/Z-220S configuration is being used by several persons with no problem.
Z-220S depth rating is 100m (330 feet) so no problem there.
Good luck with your system, whichever you choose.
-Mark Rupert
Inon America, Inc.

ReyeR:
Assuming you told them that you have a C5050 in an LMI Tetra 5050 that is pretty poor advice from the vendors as they should know that the Tetra housing is opaque and the D-180 only works optically (no sync cord).
I don't have the Tetra or the Z220 but this is what I can advise:
The Inon Z220 isn't listed on the LMI site as a compatible strobe (ROC TTL or Manual) but it could be that the list is not updated. It will be worth contacting them and asking about it - will it work in TTL and/or Manual?
Other thing you might want to check is if the focus light on the Z220 will work with the Tetra. If not you might be better of getting the Z220s which doesn't have the focus light / target laser.
I'm pretty sure it'll fit but it is worth confirming that the Z220's sync cord will fit on the Tetra's bulkhead (the Z220 uses a Sea and Sea 5-pin sync cord type N ).

If it can be connected up you'll have a very sweet setup there - I will be envious :greenange . Please let us know how you go.

Thanks very much ReyeR and Mark. I had come to the same conclusion after more research,many phone calls and some heatburn!

Based on value I think I am going to go with the Z220s. :)

Thanks again!

Sorry ReyeR...I thought you had the Z220's!

chickdiver:
Thanks very much ReyeR and Mark. I had come to the same conclusion after more research,many phone calls and some heatburn!

Based on value I think I am going to go with the Z220s. :)

Thanks again!

No worries, another happy SB member :wink: . Good luck and we look forward to some pics...

Mark / chickdiver: So is it safe to say the Z220/Z220s will with Tetra's ROC in TTL and manual??

It has been confirmed by an existing user (Randapex on wetpixel) who has a Tetra 5050 with dual Inon Z220s that the ROC works well in both TTL (mimic) and manual strobe control.

Chickdiver - I'm late as usual to this thread! I, too, just decided on the INON 220s. Should have it next week.

Funny, the manual settings were one of the features that I was encouraged to look for during my research!

Can't wait to see your results and hear what you think of it!

Back
Top Bottom