instructors/classes in southern ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dub

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommend classes or more specifically an instructor to get my certification from. I'm in the Dayton, Ohio area. What kinds of questions should I ask when deciding on a school or intructor?

Dub

I posted these questions under another subject so sorry for the repeat. I'm still learning my way around the board.

I'm not really new to diving-- i haven't even signed up for classes. I was hoping to get advice on picking out an instructor and classes to take in the dayton ohio area. Any general advice on picking an instructor is appreciated. As far as I can tell they offer classes at a community college and at the local ymca. Classes range from lasting a whole quarter to just a weekend thing. I have to wait if i want to take a full quarter of classes-- or I could take them sooner and get any where from a 15 hour to a 24 hour course.

good instructor on the board in the Dayton area. (there might be others that I am not aware of.)

You might send a PM to Ber Rabbit and see what she tells you.

As for questions to ask I would want to know what they intend to cover in the class, how long it will run, what the format is, how much pool time will be involved. Ask them what skills will be emphasised and how they teach and practice those skills.

I would also seek references from people who have taken the class from them and see if they have good or bad things to say.

Good luck and if you have more questions as you decide feel free to ask us.

Chad

Ask if you can watch a class
Ask what kind of diving the instructor does outside of teaching and handholding customers.
Ask how many nontraining dives they typically do in a year.
Ask what training the instructor has besides teaching.
Ask if they will teach you trim! Ask if they know what it is and can explain it and it's significance.
Ask what kicks they teach.
Ask how their student equipment is configures and specifically how gauges and alternates are secured.
Ask what they do to get students properly weighted and balanced.
Ask them their opinion of the most recent DAN accident report.
Ask if their classes silt out the divesite
Ask how many hours they spend in the pool.
Ask how they prganize open water dives
Ask if there will be the oportunity for additional dives with the staff beyond the required minimums.

Ask the same experience related questions of the rest of the staff.

Find an instructor who dives and dives well. It isn't as easy asit sounds.

Thank you Chad for all the tips!

I sent her a pm and will wait to see what she says. Unfortunately on the website I found they only had pics of the instructors and no other info about them personally. So i have no choice but to pick the cutest one!:tease:

Hey Mike,

thank you for the advice--- I don't know what any of those questions mean but...... i will take your advice and ask away. I think the next class starts in early may but I may wait longer depending on what instuctor i choose. I think most here just take the course that is closest to their home and really don't think about the instructor but I have heard it makes a huge difference.

Peace,
dub

Hi Dub!
Thanks for the compliment :D I'm meaner than I look LOL! I'll get right on answering your pm :)
Ber :bunny:

Ber Rabbit once bubbled...
Hi Dub!
Thanks for the compliment :D I'm meaner than I look LOL! I'll get right on answering your pm :)
Ber :bunny:

She's not kidding....you should she what she does to people like me when I'm blind-folded!!!

My advice in picking an instructor is to talk to them individually. Every instructor is different. Some are great and others are not. Some have an almost military approach and others are more laid back. Experience is also important. Find out how long they have been teaching. Remember that the agency (SSI, PADI, NAUI, YMCA) is not important. Find an instructor that you like personally. Talk to other divers if possible and get recommendations. Ask about class sizes, the smaller the better. I would not take a class with more than 10 students. Ask about whether there are Divemasters helping with the class. DM's can make a big difference. I would avoid an instructor that has a big ego. SCUBA is a great sport if taught properly.

Good Luck!

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I have heard the instructors make the difference and I certainly don't want the military approach! That would just make me cry! lol

I never thought about class size or dm's so thanks for the helpful advice.

Dub

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom