instructors/classes in southern ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

95devils once bubbled...
Don't want to sound harsh or mean, but in Dayton, Oh, there is only 1 LDS to go to. That's Aquatic Realm on South Metro, off of Wilmington Pike in Centerville. Lynn and Cindy are the best in the business. Bar none. They are a 5 star PADI shop. The quality of training is the best.

I don't want to sound harsh or mean but define "best" please. Maybe you could define "best" in terms of the questions I recommended asking a potential instructor earlier in the thread.

95devils once bubbled...
Don't want to sound harsh or mean, but in Dayton, Oh, there is only 1 LDS to go to. That's Aquatic Realm on South Metro, off of Wilmington Pike in Centerville. Lynn and Cindy are the best in the business. Bar none. They are a 5 star PADI shop. The quality of training is the best.

I am just going to make one statement to that, and that is I totally disagree with almost everything aquatic realm does. After one 10 minute conversation with one of the gentleman behind the counter (I can't remember his name), I decided I would never be going to that shop again.

O.K...I'm done

We can make a show of it! :D

Mike
You can laugh, I sure do!

95Devils
No offence taken. Last week I did a refresher with one of their students who hadn't been in the water since his check-outs a year ago. I was actually quite pleased with the information he had retained from his training, he has a lot of potential.
Just remember there are several training options in the area, it's hard to say one is better than the other if you haven't trained with ALL of them :)

JBD
It's a deal! We might have to do it on a weekday at Gilboa so I don't drown anyone else's students though, I'm not sure how many instructors teach their students how to laugh underwater! Of course the vis is so stirred up on the weekend they probably wouldn't even see me.
Ber :bunny:

Walter once bubbled...
95devils,

I'm sure Lynn and Cindy are excellent instructors. They may even be the best anywhere, but being associated with a 5 star shop is meaningless. It's not like 5 stars is a rating.

I know that a 5 star shop doesn't really mean anything. I was just stating that as a description of the shop.

I don't work for this LDS and have talked to both AR and SODA. I was not impressed by SODA at all. The classes taught at the local universities are all taught now by instructors affiliated with SODA or AR.

If you would talk to Lynn or Cindy, the only two who work the counter, you would be impressed by them. They know their stuff. I know several people who were trained OW and AOW by them, as was I for several speciality classes, and they are top notch. I was not trying to flame on anybody but trying to stress that in Dayton, of the two shops, AR is by far the one to go to.

"I know that a 5 star shop doesn't really mean anything."

If it doesn't mean anthing, why use it? Actually, it does have some meaning, it often (not always) means "all hype - no substance." Often (usually) people are mislead by the 5 stars, thinking it is a rating. For this reason, I believe it a dishonest advertising ploy.

Walter once bubbled...
"I know that a 5 star shop doesn't really mean anything."

If it doesn't mean anthing, why use it? Actually, it does have some meaning, it often (not always) means "all hype - no substance." Often (usually) people are mislead by the 5 stars, thinking it is a rating. For this reason, I believe it a dishonest advertising ploy.

It certainly doesn't mean what some think it means. If any one is interested I would be happy to post the requirements.

95devils once bubbled...

I don't work for this LDS and have talked to both AR and SODA. I was not impressed by SODA at all. The classes taught at the local universities are all taught now by instructors affiliated with SODA or AR.

Guess again....this is not the case

95devils once bubbled...

If you would talk to Lynn or Cindy, the only two who work the counter, you would be impressed by them. They know their stuff.

I'm not doubting that...when we had the expo 2 years ago, they did a wonderful job with the discover scuba and the bubble makers program with the kids. They have a ton of specialized gear for helping kids get aquatied with the water. Their 30 minutes to an hour in the pool playing and learning was a huge rush for almost all of them....great to see...

The only problem I had was this past summer when I went in there after just having completed my DM. There was some guy behind the counter telling me this and that...boasting how he hates tables, but loves computers, telling me I'll die if I continue to dive Nx below 60 feet. Then he tries to see me a 700$ used computer??? call me crazy, but wouldn't this have left a salty tase in your mouth too?

Now...Big-t...you should be old enough to know to expect that sort of thing in a dive shop (well unless it's my shop). I talk so many divers out of buying so much stuff that I am very popular and very broke. LOL

The kicker of the whole situation is I was walking in there to check out their store and on-site training pool. I wasn't interested in buying anything, I actually had the goal of offering help with their classes if they wanted it. The shop is literally 5 minutes from my apartment. No, I didn't want $$, I just wanted to see if they would be interested in having the extra eyes for a class.

After my discussion with 'dude X' and then the nerve to try to convince me that a used computer for 700 bucks is well worth the $$$, I was pretty cheesed.......alright, I've ranted enough....back to work

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom