Instructors doing "trust me" dives.

Have you done Trust Me dives? (Choose most applicable)

• Yes, I've led someone on a trust me dive.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Yes, I've followed someone on a trust me dive

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • No, but I would consider leading/following someone.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • No, I would never do either.

Votes: 42 49.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

God?:D:D
And you just hit the flaming trifecta!
:rofl3:
Wanta bet how many posts are now going to tell you that you are going to die?
Not I. I've seen enough posts from Ian to believe him competent to do that.

But I was following Richard Pyle.:D

At the Bishop Museum in Honolulu.

Not necessarily. The brief could be highly detailed, explaining how you're going to penetrate a wreck, giving specifics on depth, time, where you're going, etc. But if you're not trained for overhead, it's still a trust me dive.

What I meant was if you are briefed and know the details, then it's a "trust me" dive if you choose to go. I was offered an opportunity to go to a wreck and go in, but will I no! If I choose to go into the wreck a this point it's a trust me.

I've given this a bit or thought, what is the difference between a "trust-me" dive and a mentoring dive. I've made lots of dives over the years that I was not qualified to do with people whom I sought out, as THE EXPERT in what I wanted learn, Rich Pyle, Parker Turner, Greg Stanton, Peter Gimbel, Walt Hendricks Sr., Jeff Bozanic, Lloyd Austin, and lots of others. So I've made lots and lots of "trust-me" dives ... but they were planed from the get-go, they just weren't "formal" classes.

You guys are way to hung up on cards. I don't need a card, I don't want a card, all I ever needed was a vote of my Diving Control Board.

I've given this a bit or thought, what is the difference between a "trust-me" dive and a mentoring dive. I've made lots of dives over the years that I was not qualified to do with people whom I sought out, as THE EXPERT in what I wanted learn, Rich Pyle, Parker Turner, Greg Stanton, Peter Gimbel, Walt Hendricks Sr., Jeff Bozanic, Lloyd Austin, and lots of others. So I've made lots and lots of "trust-me" dives ... but they were planed from the get-go, they just weren't "formal" classes.

You guys are way to hung up on cards. I don't need a card, I don't want a card, all I ever needed was a vote of my Diving Control Board.

I'm not so hung up on the card, as I am on the knowledge and training. I am hung up on the "but they were planned from the get-go," part. Everyone has to have a mentor or instructor and those learning dives are not trust me dives, in my opinion. Trust me dives, in my mind, are those blind followers who follow just because they are being led. They abdicate responsibility and intelligence. You have never struck me as that guy, Thal.:D

Ding, ding, ding!

I was gonna throw this aspect into it later. Mentoring is a type of trust me dives, but then again so is instructing. The difference for me on whether or not this is really a trust me dive in the sense we're talking here is in the planning, involvement and the degree.

If you're my buddy and you agree to take me on a night dive it could be mentoring, or it could be a trust me dive. If I'm already certified for the conditions we're diving in, except for the night factor, if I've dove the site before and I'm familiar with it, if I have my own lights, if we've made a plan, have contingencies for separation and you've covered all the other aspects, then I'd consider it mentoring.

If you tell me "hey, it's time you did a night dive!" and we just pick some site I've never been to before and you tell me don't worry about a light, yours is plenty bright enough for both of us, just stick close and it will be ok, then IMO, it's a trust me dive.

By the same token, if you're a cave instructor and you tell me "hey, there's this really cool cave I think you should see" and we dive it with my having no overhead training, we penetrate to thirds, do a couple of jumps and I have no clue on navigation, how to find myself out safely or any of the other rules I need, but am relying solely on my buddy, then it's a trust me dive.

Tell me Thal, if they were planned from the get go, then you weren't blindly following your buddy and you were aware of the potential risks and had a pretty good idea how to get yourself out safely if your buddy had a heart attack, no? If so, then not quite the same thing in my book.

Back
Top Bottom