Instructors doing "trust me" dives.

Have you done Trust Me dives? (Choose most applicable)

• Yes, I've led someone on a trust me dive.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Yes, I've followed someone on a trust me dive

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • No, but I would consider leading/following someone.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • No, I would never do either.

Votes: 42 49.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Ian's. :)

As an example, as an AOW diver, I could go to 130'. My deep dive was to 102fsw to certify. However, a wreck in Fiji was 132' to the sand, with the portholes at 120. That was a pinnacle dive that expanded my experience.

According to one opinion, since I didn't choose the location / plan the dive, etc., it was a "trust me" dive.

According to Ian's definition, it was not.

Interesting the various definitions of a "trust me" dive.

If you're referring to the definition below, I have to disagree with it.

it's a trust me dive if you have no active part in the dive plan.

I understand the premise, but disagree with it in practice. There's no reason I can't go to Mexico, say I want to do a couple of drift dives, jump on a boat and have them drop us on the reef after a short briefing of the dive site. As long as I agree that the dive plan the DM presents is reasonable and within my training I don't consider it a trust me dive.

I like Ian's. :)

As an example, as an AOW diver, I could go to 130'. My deep dive was to 102fsw to certify. However, a wreck in Fiji was 132' to the sand, with the portholes at 120. That was a pinnacle dive that expanded my experience. I went to 122'.

According to one opinion, since I didn't choose the location / plan the dive, etc., it was a "trust me" dive. (Although I did verify the plan.)

According to Ian's definition, it was not.

Interesting the various definitions of a "trust me" dive.

Okay, I'm in.
Any dive that you are not trained for - is a trust me dive.

Any dive that you have no input or involvement in the planning of- is a trust me dive.

Any dive where you blindly follow someone because you feel that they are more knowledgeable/experienced and must know what they are doing - is a trust me dive.

Any dive in which you suddenly find yourself a level you are not prepared for, yet continue because you have a dm/instructor/ friend who knows a lot with you encouraging you to do it- is a trust me dive.

All of these dives have one thing in common. The diver has to agree to them. Yes the instructor/dm/friend should be aware that you don't know what you are doing or that you are not prepared for this dive, but at the end of the day, you are the choice maker here. You do a trust me dive out of ignorance, laziness, or recklessness. You can't be sheep, and how so many people allow themselves to be just that underwater, is beyond me.

I think you can have training and some experience, but still the dive in question is a "pinnacle" dive.

For example -- I have technical training. I had done several dives to the 150 foot range, with staged, accelerated decompression. But the 150 foot square profile dive on the PB4Y in Lake Washington, in extremely low viz, cold water and dark, was definitely stretching my capacity, and I would term that a "pinnacle" dive. So was the 150 foot scooter dive to Twin Peaks I did with KMD in Monterey, because I didn't have THAT many staged decompression dives on scooters, and this was the first one where the deco was terrain-based.

There are lots of unmeasurable dimensions in which one can be stretched on a dive which, by pure objective parameters, is well within one's training and certification.

I was taking an advance nitrox/deco procedures class
in Key largo the past year whereas during our first OW deep dive (140ft) the instructor upon ascending to the deck level on the Speigel Grove led me in the interior into a relatively narrow corridor with little ambient light after 20-30 linear ft. This action was not in the dive plan at all. Having completed cavern class several years earlier, such action ran contrary to everything I learned. My nerves increasingly began to heighten when after proceeding further, the instructor made a 90 degree turn into a totally dark corridor. I unsnapped my back-up light (only light carried) only to find that the batteries were dead. At that point, I was both fumimg mad and petrified that he would continue the totally dark penetration to lower levels. He finally looked between his legs when I emphatically gave him a gesture signaling out which he luckily interpreted correctly.

Had this action been part of the dive plan I would probably have acquiesced to the idea knowing the distance involved and a general idea of the open placements. All in all, a very bad experience.

I know the instructor. I was on the boat. I remember the day. Was it in June 2010? Hehe :) No worries... :)

A pinnacle dive is not a trust me dive. It is just the most challenging dive that you have done. You have trained for it and are now building your experience. You planned it, trained for it, and are carrying it out. Many people carry those out under supervision. That is not a trust me dive.

I have done "trust me" dives, and I probably will again.
However, not out of recklessness, laziness or ignorance, but because I know that in order to get more training, Ill have to be doing dives I have not done before. I might have the theory in place, but untill Ive actually done the kind of diving Im moving towards Ill have to trust an instructor to teach me.
The biggest trust me dives we all did during our initial OW certification - or training in the case of those "before certs existed" divers :wink:

I have done "trust me" dives, and I probably will again.
However, not out of recklessness, laziness or ignorance, but because I know that in order to get more training, Ill have to be doing dives I have not done before. I might have the theory in place, but untill Ive actually done the kind of diving Im moving towards Ill have to trust an instructor to teach me.
The biggest trust me dives we all did during our initial OW certification - or training in the case of those "before certs existed" divers :wink:

Then those are not trust me dives. If you are training for them, they are training dives. How else are you going to expand knowledge and experience? This is not blind following. Big difference, in my opinion.

Yes its training, but its still outside of what youre trained for and you do depend on trusting the instructor.
If you trust the wrong person, it doesnt matter if the log book says "training dive" or if it says "random resort dive", youre just as dead.

Last week I did a solo,sidemount dive wearing a drysuit.

Don't have training in any of those things.

Who was I trusting?

God?:D:D
And you just hit the flaming trifecta! Wanta bet how many posts are now going to tell you that you are going to die?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom