Insulting ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow,

Who would have thunk so many people read what's in the Site Support forum. I expected/intended no discussion here, just a response from a MOD of "OK" or "get bent." I ought to know better. I made the requested in this section as I thought it the proper place, and quoted the OP in the military section to discuss it.

Be that as it may; yes, I am probably a lot more sensitive to issues that concern the military than the next person. I lived in an army town near Fort Polk, La. from the time I was 12 until I graduated high school. Too often I heard about a former school mate, neighbor, father or brother of a friend who was MIA or killed in Viet Nam. When my brother went to Nam, he was decorated for heroism. I doubt the families he saved considered him an "invader." To his credit, he never told me about his time there, I found out from others about his actions.

Anyway, it's interesting and educational to see the different responses and points of view. I agree that our society is polluted with people who choose to be offended; however, the ad did set me off. I never thought it was intended to be purposefully insulting, just an oversight. I thank all of you for your comments, including the post I disagree with. We can all thank the brave people who fought for our freedom and the right to differ openly.

Peace be with you,

Couv

Didn't he say "please"? Doesn't that imply a request? (vs. the "needs to be" kind of demand that some folks use)

Others earlier have correctly observed that with the freedom of expression that is cherished, even offensive expressions should not be prohibited.

However, Pete, like many others who advertise, is savvy enough to know that offending potential customers is not a wise move. Thus, when it was brought to his attention, he quickly changed the ad.

... but it's a good way to filter out the whiners before you get stuck having to spend a vacation with 'em ... :crying:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... but it's a good way to filter out the whiners before you get stuck having to spend a vacation with 'em ... :crying:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I doubt it filters all the whiners :crafty:

On Apr 24, 1980 did enter Iran for Operation Eagle Claw which was initated to rescue the hostages held by Iran. (Timelines.com)

That was not an invasion, it was a rescue attempt. Eight US AF Pararescue died in that operation, some of whom I knew.

... and if Iran sent troops into the USA for the purpose of rescuing political prisoners you would have called it ... what?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Too often I heard about a former school mate, neighbor, father or brother of a friend who was MIA or killed in Viet Nam. When my brother went to Nam, he was decorated for heroism. I doubt the families he saved considered him an "invader."

Who gives a rat's ass whether someone referred to a dead soldier as an invader or a hero or just some guy doing his job?

It's a freaking WORD.

Let's prioritize here people!

I'm going to spend my day getting offended at terrorists who walk onto airplanes with razor blades in their shoes and people who don't shower for days and don't realize they smell really bad.

What are YOU going to be offended about?

eyepop3d.gif

I'm offended that people get offended over just about everything. SUCK IT UP, Free speach is a B*&^h, people/businesses are going to say/advertise/post some stuff that just doesn't sit right with some individuals and groups, SUCK IT UP its one of the the prices of freedom. Another great thing about freedom is you can choose where to spend your money, how about those of you that get offended so easily go do that quietly.

Wow,

Who would have thunk so many people read what's in the Site Support forum. I expected/intended no discussion here, just a response from a MOD of "OK" or "get bent." I ought to know better. I made the requested in this section as I thought it the proper place, and quoted the OP in the military section to discuss it.

Be that as it may; yes, I am probably a lot more sensitive to issues that concern the military than the next person. I lived in an army town near Fort Polk, La. from the time I was 12 until I graduated high school. Too often I heard about a former school mate, neighbor, father or brother of a friend who was MIA or killed in Viet Nam. When my brother went to Nam, he was decorated for heroism. I doubt the families he saved considered him an "invader." To his credit, he never told me about his time there, I found out from others about his actions.

Anyway, it's interesting and educational to see the different responses and points of view. I agree that our society is polluted with people who choose to be offended; however, the ad did set me off. I never thought it was intended to be purposefully insulting, just an oversight. I thank all of you for your comments, including the post I disagree with. We can all thank the brave people who fought for our freedom and the right to differ openly.

Peace be with you,

Couv

So now the main question. Since SB listened to you, are you booking the Cozumel trip now?

I'm offended that people get offended over just about everything. .

You know mongodives,

I find it very offensive that you get offended over other people getting offended.

Lucky for you I just got a grocery coupon on a case of Kleenex Tissues.

waterfall_tears.gif

I spent 10 years on active duty in combat arms. I thought the ad was clever and benign. Too many people get bent over nothing. The phrase of the day is:

CHILL OUT

Back
Top Bottom