Intense week and ? skin bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Just spent a great 2 weeks in croatia. I did my Open water course back in scotland in april in dry suits and in water temps of about 6 degrees and poor visibility so I had been looking forward to diving in croatia again (it was where I did my discover scuba).

Being in croatia was so different with water temps of 27 degrees.

I did my AOW there but went for a beach dive with my cousin the day before it started. I remembered that I wore 12kg with my dry suit in scotland and suggested I tried that but due to a misunderstanding with the dive centre went in with 10 kgs on.
I checked buoyancy at the start and it seemd ok - but I had a full tank!.

After I did my peak performance buoyancy I was wearing 15kgs so I was 5 kg under weight on that first dive.

I was ok until the end of the dive when my tank ran out and I became really buoyant and popped to the surface from about 10 metres.

I felt Ok.

The next day I did three dives (PPB, navigation, and a night dive with long gaps between going to about 10m to 15m and with better weighting and good slow ascents each time.

Over these 2 days developed what looked like an urticaria (ie drug allergy rash) in my legs and arms which was complicated by loads of mosquito bites. I am not normally very allergic, but it was very very hot and humnid (38 degres etc).

The following day I did 2 deep dives - 1st to 27.8 second to 26.4 and did a safety stop both times and felt in good control of my buoyancy and had a great time.

Rash was worse so I stopped diving for a few days.

Second last dive was with my cousin in the same place as the first and I popped to the surface in roughly the same place from about 6 metres even though I was better weighted and diving much better.

we realised there were a lot of thermoclines there and there was probably an upcurrent at that spot. I definitely had nothing in my bcd and I still felt incredibly buoyant.

Last dive was the next day and we went to 30 metres on a big wall and I felt great and had a great time. I picked up a stone near the end when the tank was empty.After that one I was really reaslly tired and wiped out but happy.

The rash settled down over the past few days using anti histamines and a wee bit of steroids on the shins where the bites were bad.

There was weird thing though that the last few days of the rash whenever I moved or pinched the skin there were tiny pains like tiny needles in my skin. Not really sore but definitely sharp. Never experienced it before. Wonder if anyone had ever had that?

It has occurred t0o me since coming home that the rash could have been skin bends.

I think I also underestimated how important it was to prepare my hydration and I was having a few beers the day before a dive and a beer the day of a dive and I realise now that I shouldnt do that.

any thoughts?

best wishes

tommy b/bob titten

Have you got any photos of the rash?

Without knowing your exact dive profile it would be hard to say for sure, but It is entirely possible. Skin bends is the most common and the most unreported of the bends.

comparing your dives to norwegian working tables if your dive times to 30m exceeded say, 25 min that calls for 2 stops of 5 min each at 6 and 3 meters. giving you a 30 min repeated dive penalty for the same dive...so if you repeated the same dive immediately for another 25 min it would call for some pretty hefty in water deco....see following:

9m - 5min
6m - 5min
3m - 20min

you can see how this could take a toll on your body right?

I assume you are diving regular air...that's a lot of repetitive dives especially at those depths. I am no expert but it's a situation that I would try to avoid...

I hope this info may help...

Well, Lesson learned I hope...Dive safe!!

Skin bends is the most common and the most unreported of the bends.

Hi Screwbag,

I'd appreciate it if you could cite the published research or other professional references that support this comment.

Thanks for taking the time.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I don't have an exact source, it is simply what we were taught in commercial diving school. there may be some source in the NORSOK info I have, and I will post when I find it. it seems to make sense to me that it would be the least reported, as most people would just think of it as an allergic reaction, or something similar.
it is in our books given to us at school, but they put this together themselves. we also had what we called the friday bends (Diving all week and feeling like hell come friday)

I will post more sources when I have exact locations to give.

edit: the school texts note that this is most often not reported due to difficulty in proper diagnosis.

Last edited:
Hi Screwbag,

I would appreciate that.

Perhaps the situation is specific to commercial diving. I know that for recreational diving joint-pain is the most commonly reported symptom of DCS, and I suspect it's also the most unreported.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This could be true. Commercial and sport diving are different animals :wink:

Without knowing your exact dive profile it would be hard to say for sure, but It is entirely possible. Skin bends is the most common and the most unreported of the bends.

I assume you are diving regular air...that's a lot of repetitive dives especially at those depths. I am no expert but it's a situation that I would try to avoid...

I too would love to know the source and be able to read a copy of the data. Certainly not the same for recreational diving.

Yes but quite of DCS is quite hard to accurately diagnose as the S+S are common in numerous other problems and not in just skin bends.

Note this may have been more than skin bends as Bobs says the following :After that one I was really really tired and wiped out but happy.

It is important that if we have believe that we have any S+S after the dive we consult a diving MEDICAL professional. Let them decide if you need to have re-compression or not you maybe one of the lucky ones that just to rest relax, breathe some normabaric O2 and ensure that you are properly hydrated.

Screwbag,

I think the point here is that on a public forum we must be very careful with the information we provide, and ensure that we are perfectly clear and cite sources as appropriate to avoid confusion and potential for mis-information.

D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom