Interesting approach to automatic Buoyancy at DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what rescue class you took, but it has been taught to me that, while it's an absolute last-resort solution, you should ditch your weight if you feel you'll become unconscious. Again, better bent than drowned. But i'm always open for advice!
You are changing scenarios on me. We were rescuing and unconscious victim.

The only time you dump weights at depth is a catastrophic loss of buoyancy in your BC, which isn't possible in this system since you don't have one.

But think: if dumping weight will get you to the surface and keep you there on a loss of BC, it will do the same but better with this system (you start closer to neutral before dumping weights with this system). So this system is safer in this scenario.

By the way, the pump is not used to reduce weight. That can be done quickly by opening the water vent valve. It is only used to add weight. So, increasing overall buoyancy is as fast as a BC and requires only a mechanical valve operates correctly (the same as a BC), only reducing it is slower and requires power.

But back to topic:
I can't find any flotation device on this system other than the cylinder. The "jetpack", as they call it, appears to be simply a backplate with the battery and the pump, nothing else.
I can't find it on their web site right now, maybe they eliminated it. It was visible in a video I saw of one of their early classes. So, until/if I can find it, I withdraw that argument.

I'm also concerned about sustainability: a properly maintained Aluminium or Steel cylinder can easily last several decades, whereas carbon fibre has its limitations regarding service life, not to mention the membrane that expands and contracts every dive.
Legitimate, but as long as hydros and other maintenance is being correctly performed, it isn't a safety issue, just an economics issue.

The Avelo system will be available for certification and diving starting in Bonaire in September, Catalina, California in October, and in Sydney, Australia in December. Unfortunately, Dive with Harmony in Maui was lost in the Lahaina fire. I look forward to unbiased reviews from SB divers, both newer and experienced.

You are changing scenarios on me. We were rescuing and unconscious victim.

The only time you dump weights at depth is a catastrophic loss of buoyancy in your BC, which isn't possible in this system since you don't have one.

But think: if dumping weight will get you to the surface and keep you there on a loss of BC, it will do the same but better with this system (you start closer to neutral before dumping weights with this system). So this system is safer in this scenario.

By the way, the pump is not used to reduce weight. That can be done quickly by opening the water vent valve. It is only used to add weight. So, increasing overall buoyancy is as fast as a BC and requires only a mechanical valve operates correctly (the same as a BC), only reducing it is slower and requires power.

I can't find it on their web site right now, maybe they eliminated it. It was visible in a video I saw of one of their early classes. So, until/if I can find it, I withdraw that argument.

Legitimate, but as long as hydros and other maintenance is being correctly performed, it isn't a safety issue, just an economics issue.
We've come full circle: i already mentioned that purging the ballast doesn't require the pump, however, the animation suggests this process is electronically controlled. They also don't mention how long it takes to get rid of all the ballast, but probably much longer than ditching lead.

I guess we'll see if this system becomes a bestseller or another high-tech oddity that disappears quietly. I'd bet a bottle of fine wine on the latter...

We've come full circle: i already mentioned that purging the ballast doesn't require the pump, however, the animation suggests this process is electronically controlled. They also don't mention how long it takes to get rid of all the ballast, but probably much longer than ditching lead.
Tank pressure is pushing it out, at 500-3000 psi. Not going to take much longer than the weights. Plus, you can still dump the weights!

I guess we'll see if this system becomes a bestseller or another high-tech oddity that disappears quietly. I'd bet a bottle of fine wine on the latter...
You might be right about that. But, if it doesn't it will be because of logistics and economics, not safety.

I'm not planning to buy one. But I would rent one just for the fun of trying it, if it was not much of an extra cost on a 2-tank boat dive. I don't see it changing my mind about what I normally dive, but I'm willing to let them try and change my mind.

The surface bouyancy device is in the Divers Ready video. It's an SMB that sits in a pocket on the vest. It's got a clip that sort of turns it into a horsecollar float.

The Avelo system will be available for certification and diving starting in Bonaire in September, Catalina, California in October, and in Sydney, Australia in December. I look forward to unbiased reviews from SB divers, both newer and experienced.
Catalina is "cold" water, so I'm particularly interested in tests in this area.

Tank pressure is pushing it out, at 500-3000 psi. Not going to take much longer than the weights. Plus, you can still dump the weights!

You might be right about that. But, if it doesn't it will be because of logistics and economics, not safety.

I'm not planning to buy one. But I would rent one just for the fun of trying it, if it was not much of an extra cost on a 2-tank boat dive. I don't see it changing my mind about what I normally dive, but I'm willing to let them try and change my mind.
I ran the numbers: i assumed 200 bars, 5 mm diameter and a length of 10 cm, then you can push out ca. 1.5 liters per minute.
A properly worn weight belt, regardless how much it weighs, can be ditched more or less instantaneously.
What do you mean by "you can still dump the weights"? The point of this system is that you don't need lead?

Also, an uncontrolled ascent can happen just as well if the valve is stuck open. Again, seawater can be very nasty.

Also, if (with an Aluminium or steel cylinder) the 1st stage fails and looses air rapidly, the cylinder is still buoyant, even more. The bladder however would compress and loose buoyancy.
I'd be hesitant to call it just as safe or even safer than a conventional setup.

I would love to try this. I am an older, less experienced diver that would love to save weight and have an easier way to maintain neutral buoyancy. I would prefer not thinking about adjusting weights doing fresh water diving in a 3 mm wetsuit vs boat diving in the keys using a 1 mm vest. I would rather look at the fish than think about would I be better off with 2 lbs less weight?

When I was growing up purist drivers did not like automatic transmissions in cars. Now it is rare to find cars with manual transmissions. Technology moves on. I am not afraid of well engineered new technology because it isn't what I am used to. I would love to try this if it lets me enjoy the view more. I want to become a more skilled diver, but I don't want skill development to be the reason I dive.

The Avelo system will be available for certification and diving starting in Bonaire in September, Catalina, California in October, and in Sydney, Australia in December. Unfortunately, Dive with Harmony in Maui was lost in the Lahaina fire. I look forward to unbiased reviews from SB divers, both newer and experienced.
Yeah, I just got the email from CDS: "Come try the new Avelo system!"

Ah, no thanks. I'm good. Just a regular ol' AL80 for me, please. I like my diving nice and simple (heck, I still use my Suunto D4 I bought in 2007.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom