Interesting approach to automatic Buoyancy at DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are in any way close to neutral, there is no need to purge all the ballast. Just a little makes you positive.

In the type of diving it is designed for (single tank, no BC, no dry suit), there is no sudden loss of buoyancy that need a sudden loss of weight.

The main risk is actually a sudden loss of weight or the ability to add weight if the water valve or pump fails. and corking to the surface.

In normal operation buoyancy due to breathing down tanks or wet suit decompression occurs slow enough for the pump, and there are no sudden buoyancy adds other than accidentally dropped weights.

I actually like its design, it just isn't useful for the type of diving I do (dry suit, side mount, etc.). For warm water single tank diving, it sounds great.
I can imagine a multitude of scenarios where lots of buoyancy is needed quickly, mainly if someone is injured or unconscious. Better corked and bent than drowned...

I can imagine a multitude of scenarios where lots of buoyancy is needed quickly, mainly if someone is injured or unconscious. Better corked and bent than drowned...
Describe one that applies when doing the kind of diving this is designed for. Then explain how dropping your weight belt wouldn't be equally useful in that scenario.

Describe one that applies when doing the kind of diving this is designed for. Then explain how dropping your weight belt wouldn't be equally useful in that scenario.
Pretty sure this thing would be used with nitrox, so therexs the possibility of oxygen toxicity.
With those cramps i'd want a BCD that could keep me or my buddy comfortably afloat, even if completely incapacitated.
Contrary to a BCD that has air pocket all around you, the buoyancy from the Avelo is produced purely by the cylinder on your back. Sounds uncomfortable and unsafe.

Pretty sure this thing would be used with nitrox, so therexs the possibility of oxygen toxicity.
With those cramps i'd want a BCD that could keep me or my buddy comfortably afloat, even if completely incapacitated.
Drop your weights! Problem solved. (You can also inflate the vest that is part of the system for use on the surface).

Contrary to a BCD that has air pocket all around you, the buoyancy from the Avelo is produced purely by the cylinder on your back. Sounds uncomfortable and unsafe.
Sounds like you think BP/W is unsafe too then, all of it's buoyancy is on your back as well. Don't say that too loud around here.

Drop your weights! Problem solved. (You can also inflate the vest that is part of the system for use on the surface).

Sounds like you think BP/W is unsafe too then, all of it's buoyancy is on your back as well. Don't say that too loud around here.
If you're correctly weighted, you don't just shoot up like a bottle rocket when you release your weights. And it might not be enough to keep someone afloat who is in serious trouble.

A wing has a different center of lift, but yes, that is something to consider. But the Avelo- and bp/w-clientele probably has a small overlap.

If you're correctly weighted, you don't just shoot up like a bottle rocket when you release your weights.
You would never want to shoot up, even in an oxtox event.

And it might not be enough to keep someone afloat who is in serious trouble.
If you are positive you stay afloat, regardless of trouble.

A wing has a different center of lift, but yes, that is something to consider. But the Avelo- and bp/w-clientele probably has a small overlap.
I thought your issue was safety?

It is different, any clientele that won't try something different isn't its clientele. New divers doing warm water tourist diving, that don't already have preconceived notions of what it should be, are the perfect clientele. Divers that already are used to something else will say "different = unsafe" rather than look at it for what it really is. That is what my response was too at first, but then I just realized it was "not for me."

I honestly want to try this out. I want to see how it responds to when I want to inhale and swim over something and exhale when I pass it. Will it cooperate or fight my depth control using my lungs? How will it work going through a swim through where you need to make adjustments to your buoyancy/depth?

I'd give it a try to see, but I wouldn't pay money to do so.

I'd like to see for shiits and giggles a twinset with two of these and someone cave diving. :wink:

I honestly want to try this out. I want to see how it responds to when I want to inhale and swim over something and exhale when I pass it. Will it cooperate or fight my depth control using my lungs?
It isn't automatic. Like your BC you will go up on inhale and down on exhale.

How will it work going through a swim through where you need to make adjustments to your buoyancy/depth?
Do you adjust your BC significantly on a swim through? I usually do that with my breathing. And you can adjust it any time you want, you just can't add weight fast.

I'd give it a try to see, but I wouldn't pay money to do so.
If it didn't cost more than a day of boat diving, I would be happy to pay to try it. More than that, no.

I'd like to see for shiits and giggles a twinset with two of these and someone cave diving. :wink:
That would be fun, lol.

It isn't automatic. Like your BC you will go up on inhale and down on exhale.
Okay, now I'm more confused on how it works. I'll go off and research that later.
Do you adjust your BC significantly on a swim through? I usually do that with my breathing. And you can adjust it any time you want, you just can't add weight fast.
I don't use my BC at all, just my lungs.
If it didn't cost more than a day of boat diving, I would be happy to pay to try it. More than that, no.
Yes, I should have said "extra". I don't expect to dive for free.

You would never want to shoot up, even in an oxtox event.

If you are positive you stay afloat, regardless of trouble.

I thought your issue was safety?

It is different, any clientele that won't try something different isn't its clientele. New divers doing warm water tourist diving, that don't already have preconceived notions of what it should be, are the perfect clientele. Divers that already are used to something else will say "different = unsafe" rather than look at it for what it really is. That is what my response was too at
Where did i say that?

Depends how much (in kgs/lbs) lift you have. If you're just slightly positively buoyant you still could become submerged if there's current or waves.

Yes, obviously my concern is safety, whose isn't? What or who are you debating?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom