Interesting approach to automatic Buoyancy at DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope this becomes wildly popular, to the point that all agencies require this for DSD (a good place for the technology).

Just imagine how great it would be if small, lightweight carbon fiber tanks and 4350PSI fills became as common as AL80s and 2800PSI fills are now.

How has this solved any buoyancy adjustment issues?
System buoyancy does not change with depth like it does with a BC or wing.

(They also claim that a wetsuit doesn't appreciably change buoyancy with depth, but that's a different topic.)

Buoyancy does not change with depth like it does with a BC or wing.

(They also claim that a wetsuit doesn't appreciably change buoyancy with depth, but that's a different topic.)
Well, since my wetsuit does change buoyancy I still need to adjust as I descend. This does not change anything. Buoyancy adjustment is still required.

since my wetsuit does change buoyancy
By how much? Certainly less than wetsuit + BC, so adjustments would be less frequent. The non-controversial use case, of course, is diving without a wetsuit.

Again, Avelo claims that closed-cell neoprene wetsuits don't change buoyancy as much most people think (and Boyle's law would predict). I personally think that's BS, but I don't have hard data to justify my position. Without such data (from either side), it's difficult to argue that point beyond "No it doesn't. Yes it does."

I think that anyone that is proficient with a BC is not the target market.

By how much? Certainly less than wetsuit + BC, so adjustments would be less frequent. The obvious use- case is without a wetsuit.

Again, Avelo claims that closed-cell neoprene wetsuits don't change buoyancy as much most people think (and Boyle's law would predict). I personally think that's BS, but I don't have hard data to justify my position. Without such data (from either side), it's difficult to argue that point beyond "No it doesn't. Yes it does."

Anyone that is proficient with a BC is not the target market.
Here's some data based on tests of 1/4 inch (6.35mm) and 3/16" (4.78mm) suits.
Screenshot_20221211-235908-955.png

I guess the Avelo shops will have to stock up on Sharkskin or Lavacore neutral suits.

How do you know how much gas you have left?

If I understand this correctly, as you breathe down the tank it gets more buoyant (just like a regular tank) and so you have to pump in more water which raises the air pressure in the tank bladder.

This does not seem to be a safe side effect? What am I missing?

I hope this becomes wildly popular, to the point that all agencies require this for DSD (a good place for the technology).

Just imagine how great it would be if small, lightweight carbon fiber tanks and 4350PSI fills became as common as AL80s and 2800PSI fills are now.
If we get 4350 psi fills and lightweight carbon-fiber tanks, count me in. I don't think ANYONE is against that.

The remainder of the product is what everyone is what everyone is highly skeptical about. Ditch all of the complicated nonsense, keep the tanks, assuming they're good tanks.

you have to pump in more water which raises the air pressure in the tank bladder.
The difference is one of density. The additional water required to compensate for exhaled gas is relatively small. Toward the end of the dive when looking for ascent pressure, you might add a half liter of water to stay neutral. This would increase gauge pressure by about 50 psi at that point. That's within the "margin of blur" of many people's vision. 😆

Sure, rock-bottom type calculations would need to be adjusted. For example, 500 psi remaining in an AL80 is equivalent to about 850 psi in an Avelo at the end of the dive. (The air volume then would be about 6.5 liters, down from 11.1 liters when positive at the start of the dive.)

Then again, I doubt the target market cares about rock-bottom calculations.

Back
Top Bottom