Interesting class to attend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't have to be in the pool. And hopefully the first dive on the course was not to 130 ft (which is what I thought I saw at the start of the video. I've done assessments during equipment assembly, gear up, and swim out/descent to 60 ft. before doing any skills. I've adjusted the dive plan based on the assessment.
Absolutely. There are many ways to make an assessment. For example, in an AOW dive sequence, you never do the deep dive first. You should always make the first dive a simple, benign dive that will tell you a lot about what needs to happen on subsequent dives. Here in Colorado, I like to have the students choose altitude as one of their 5 dives, because there are no skills required on the dive itself and I am thus free to do whatever I feel I need or want to do on the dive. It usually becomes a buoyancy control dive at altitude.

Absolutely. There are many ways to make an assessment. For example, in an AOW dive sequence, you never do the deep dive first. You should always make the first dive a simple, benign dive that will tell you a lot about what needs to happen on subsequent dives. Here in Colorado, I like to have the students choose altitude as one of their 5 dives, because there are no skills required on the dive itself and I am thus free to do whatever I feel I need or want to do on the dive. It usually becomes a buoyancy control dive at altitude.
I’m with you there, I always push PPB and execute that dive first. It helps them and lets me asses them before we do anything more complicated.

It doesn't have to be in the pool. And hopefully the first dive on the course was not to 130 ft (which is what I thought I saw at the start of the video. I've done assessments during equipment assembly, gear up, and swim out/descent to 60 ft. before doing any skills. I've adjusted the dive plan based on the assessment. And in this case, since not all dives for this specialty can be done in one day, to do a "fun dive" first to get acquainted with the site or with each other as divers (i.e. an assessment.) Do a fun dive, deep dive 1, & deep dive 2 on Day 1 then deep dive 3 & 4 the next day.

It's something instructor is supposed to do but it doesn't have to be pool or a specific "checkout" dive.
If it was, it is not being done in accordance with standards (I think it was established this was PADI) -
Dive 1 max depth 30m
Dive 2 max depth 24m
Dive 3 max depth 40m
Dive 4 max depth 30m

I didn't know there were specific depth standards for each dive. I believe we did the deepest two dives first (120 + 130), then two to about 90'. Then again, the instructor knew all of us very well.

The video has been pulled.

Back
Top Bottom