Interesting last names

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Yesterday I met a man with an interesting last name: Bytheway - he said that it was an old English name and that his ancestors lived "by the way"

Anybody else know and interesting last name and their meaning?

My last name: Brooks - one who dwells/lives by a stream or a brook

Not very interesting, but it sure does fit my lifestyle wants and needs :wink:

simbrooks:
My last name: Brooks - one who dwells/lives by a stream or a brook

Not very interesting, but it sure does fit my lifestyle wants and needs :wink:

Lots of European...and I guess many cultures, names are derived from what the person did. Smith (lots of balcksmiths, metal smiths etc) Bauman, my name, is German for builder man, or construction worker. Makes you wonder about names like Underwood.

Yes, lots of names are descriptions of the family at the time. Johnson was Johns son Miller was the guy that works in the flour mill etc. A name in my family history is "Keim", one of the meanings of the word is sprout and we are pretty sure that that is the meaning that is associated with the name. Maybe they were farmers? It was also a wide spread family, maybe that has something to do with it - so many sprouts around :wink:

justleesa:
A name in my family history is "Keim", one of the meanings of the word is sprout and we are pretty sure that that is the meaning that is associated with the name. Maybe they were farmers? It was also a wide spread family, maybe that has something to do with it - so many sprouts around :wink:
Sprouts, now there is something seasonal, or at least i only ever see them on the plate around xmas time - do people eat them any other time?

On the surnames again, i think Mac/Mc is "son of" and Fitz is "illigitimate son of" for all you celtic named types.

I was once walking down a public school halway near my house, and saw this name on a locker, (I am not kidding)

Unique Payne

ooh, that must suck!

dsaxe01:
Unique Payne

Payne is a last name that should just go away.

I once dated a case worker who had a client with the last name of Kane. He had named his daughters Candy and Nova.

A Texas politician (senator?) who's last name was Hogg named his daughters Imma and Ura.

My neighbor, last name of Bugg, wanted to name his daughter Imma June.

I used to know a lady that went by her initials, LP. It actually stood for Long Play (talk about a child of the '60s).

I have a buddy who's name was Ray Storie...he got married to a lady name Ilona

So now she is Ilona Storie....and guess what her job is....

Yep...A librarian...

True...No BS

I knew two guys in honduras that were calles John Wayne Cooper, and his brother was Flash Gordon Cooper.

Cooper by the way means "dude that makes barrels"

I dated a guy once named Bob Deadman. One has to wonder what the origin of that name is.

Funny names I have come across in my travels:
Had a client named Frank Weiner.
I know this is pushing the PG envelope, but this is a real, actual name of a woman from my hometown: ***** ******. I swear.
My sister had a dentist a few years ago named Dr. Payne. She switched when she moved and now is a patient of Dr Yellin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom