Interesting Problem with new transmitter and Galileo Sol dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving the Galileo since 2007... Approaching 400 dives on it. LOVE IT. But had to buy a new transmitter a few weeks ago. Noticed the new ones are slightly different. Dove it for the first time today, worked great, expect for RBT (remaining bottom time). It was WAY off. Keep telling me 12-20 minutes. When normally it should have been reading MUCH higher numbers. And no, my breathing rate was fine today.

Never seen it act this way before. Anyone know if there are any compatabilities issues between the older version of the Galileo and the new transmitters? Was reading the PSI just fine. That was accurate.

That's a puzzle because the way computers work out your RBT is by rate of change of psi, to your reserve pressure corrected to your depth. So it's hard to see how it could be a transmitter issue.

A couple of things to check: reserve pressure-- maybe it's set higher, also check safety stop length, and all the options dealing with the algorithm such as PDIS and MB level. Any increase there would cause the computer to require longer ascent and decrease in RBT.

Talon, this does sound a bit strange as the new transmitters are fully compatable. Best way to determine would be to send both units in to Tech Services for inspection via your local dive shop.

Hatel - Could not agree with you more. It is very weird that the new transmitter "could be" involved in the problem. That is what has me scratching my head. I half expected when I downloaded my dive to Smart Trak to see a lot of gaps in the PSI readings... but nope... clean as a whistle. But the only variable that has changed IS the transmitter. I have not made any changes to the computer (beyond the pairing of the new transmitter). So it leads me to suspect the transmitter... But as you said... doesn't really make sense either.

I did validate all the settings you mentioned. Same as they have been for years ;-)

I sent SP an email via their web site last night with more details (version... settings... etc)... The one thing I did notice is that I am two revs back on the firmware (1.4 vs 1.6). Once I hear back from them, I will update the firmware to 1.6. It is a shot in the dark... But you never know.

Harry - Thanks for the confirmation that the transmitter should be compatible. That helps. My problem is that I can not send it in right now. I leave Friday for a weekend of diving and then leave the following week for a week of diving in the Cenotes in Mexico. If I can not resolve the issue via email with Tech support, I guess it will have to wait. RBT is not critical... Its a bonus feature to me. Assuming I need to send it in when I get back, can I send it in myself???? Last time I had to send my computer back in it took a little longer because it spent "a little extra time" in the dive shop.

Man... we are the same mental page;-) I had the same idea. But my air consumption was actually very good for the dive. Slightly better then average then on my normal day (must have been thinking happy thoughts). So that rules out a air leak. Plus to get the numbers I was getting... it would have to be a very noticeable leak.

Keep em coming ;-) I've heard back from Harry on this thread (thanks man)... but still waiting to hear back from SP directly. man... wish I had another transmitter I could play with.

It's a long shot, but any possibility you have an air leak you're not aware of? Maybe from where the new transmitter is attached? Perhaps bad O ring?

If the firmware update and a fresh set of batteries doesn't help, you might try performing the good ol' factory reset (should be easier to recover your personal settings via Smart Track). May I ask why you replaced the transmitter? Just curious, as I had to replace the transmitter on my Luna due to signal loss issues.

Last edited:
I agree with Mareds that you should get a fresh battery for the wrist unit even if the battery gauge shows full. Sometimes electronics acts bizarre when battery is low and the change in transmitters could be coincidence.

Good idea. I have not tried a new battery!!!! Thanks.

As for why the new transmitter. Worst reason of all. Bunch of dive give was stolen. Computer was safe, but the original transmitter was one of the many items lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom